Securely mounting a MotoJug on a GL1800

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Does anyone here have experience with securely mounting a MotoJug to a GL1800? I'm trying to think of a way to secure it that doesn't involve potentially rubbing through the paint on my pannier or side cover.

I'm thinking that some sort of bracket, bolted to the saddlebag tip-over bar, would be a good place to start. But then again, the loops in the MotoJug basket are oriented vertically, not horizontally.

I can see that the Velcro loops on the bottom of the basket can be strapped around the passenger floorboard. I'm just scratching my head about how to avoid damaging contact with the bike's body pieces.

Pictures if you got 'em...

WY88

Premier Member
I mount mine on the right passenger floorboard, no issues at all. Also just bought a "backpack" cooler that is large enough to hold my 1 gallon coleman jug and can add ice or ice packs around it, set and secure that on the rear seat. On long rides or very high summer temps of 85 - 90+ the coleman cooler does not keep my water / pedialyte mix cold enough for me regardless of how much ice is in it. The backpack cooler was the perfect solution, for me. Also when I mount the Motojug on the floorboard, I use 2 gear ties to secure it, works better than the wrap around straps it comes with, for me anyway.

Shawn K

Premier Member
And you just had it tied to the floorboard? No other attachment points?

I thought about doing just that, but keep thinking that that wouldn't be secure enough.

WY88

Premier Member
I'll set it up and shoot you a photo later, I use 2 gear ties, one around the seat handle and one on the tip over bar by the floorbaord, (3 actually because I use 1 around the Motojug itself, in place of the strap that comes with it, it has NEVER budged. Gear Ties are my go to tie down product, they do not come loose or slip at all. Available in a variety of lengths, I guess over they years I've collected upwards of 50 of them, fantastic for so many different applications.

This is on a Honda CTX1300 but here is what I did. One piece of 1" wide aluminum flat stock, two u bolts and two tie down anchors (from Aerostich). Mount the flat stock to the saddlebag guards with the u bolts then mount the tie downs so the line up with the MotoJug straps.

Attachments

Shawn K

Premier Member
Not a bad idea either.

The saddlebag guards on the Gold Wing are horizontal, not vertical, so I'd have to put a bend in the bar stock. I'd be concerned the metal not being strong enough to keep from bending. I suppose steel stock might fare better.