Slingshots

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
For Ira :

I know any 3-Wheeled vehicle ( except for a bike w/sidecar ) is not allowed in the IBR and I know trikes and Spyders are allowed as far as doing a certified IBA ride.

Question : Are Slingshots still allowed as far as IBA certified rides are concerned ? I know back in 2017 they were. Has that changed ?

c10

I can not see how as they sit like a car , and use a GM 4 cyl engine . Like driving a Miata with the top down . This is like letting the guy who thinks hes a girl wrestle girls in competition .

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Thanks Ira. That clears that up. Someone also told me a Slingshot operator got an IBA certificate as recently as sometime in 2018.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
There are, in fact, a few on the finishers list. We issued those certificates after they first came out without fully realizing what they are. We are no longer certifying rides completed on them.

Ira

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Thanks again Ira. I'm organizing a few IBA rides this year and I needed an explanation in case a Slingshot operator inquires about doing a ride.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks again Ira. I'm organizing a few IBA rides this year and I needed an explanation in case a Slingshot operator inquires about doing a ride.
The way it was described to me at a Vanderhall Dealer in PA (similar to a Slingshot), if you sit in it then it's a car. If you sit on or straddle it then it's a bike (Can Am)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The way it was described to me at a Vanderhall Dealer in PA (similar to a Slingshot), if you sit in it then it's a car. If you sit on or straddle it then it's a bike (Can Am)
We deal with such questions on a case-by-case basis. But a vehicle with side-by-side seating and a steering wheel would probably not be acceptable.