So border to border question

I feel like I already know the answer to this butt ride details say you must cross each border. This can’t be done for anyone that enjoys our 2nd amendment right. I’ve never driven to any border only flown through. Is it possible to get to a border crossing and turn around at the border without crossing the border?

RickRussell

Premier Member
If you enjoy your second ammendment rights get a safe deposit box before you cross the border and deposit your second ammendment tools in said box. Canadians do not have rights when crossing an international border either. As a foreigner in a different country your rights are limited, as are mine.

Terrywerm

You could probably get away with stopping at a large shopping center, bus station, or train station that has lockers, and deposit it there for a short time. However, it is probably more likely that your border crossings will not be near a large city with shopping centers. Might have to think outside the box on this one.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I feel like I already know the answer to this butt ride details say you must cross each border. This can’t be done for anyone that enjoys our 2nd amendment right. I’ve never driven to any border only flown through. Is it possible to get to a border crossing and turn around at the border without crossing the border?
No.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

EddyC

IBA Member
So, I might be mistaken, but I feel that you wanted to see the rules of a certain ride "bended" in order to comply to your personal needs?
Would you really hope to get that ride certified in given case? Like you said: you already know the answer.
I think I understand the situation and I certainly won 't critisize your 2nd amendment rights (we don 't have that over here in Europe)
but IMHO I think you have your priorities switched in this case...
Seasons Greetings...
Stay Safe..
Ed.

I would consider calling a PD down there, and up there, and see if they have some way to help civilians. MY guess is that they can and will. But be careful if you cross in CA. We have some weird ideas about legal firearms.

If there is more than one of you going I would seriously consider crossing one at a time while the other one waits on this side of the borders.

Technically you can have the same problem crossing state lines too. Even with a CCW. CA does not recognize anyone else (Except maybe LEO)

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I don't want to overstate the obvious, but why not just leave your weapon at home for the short time it takes to do the ride?

I'm not trying to instigate a political war (because I don't care if you carry a weapon or not - that's your choice and the laws of the U.S. allow for it), but given the potentially severe consequences of violating international laws, wouldn't the pragmatic choice be to just leave it home for this one ride?

R3Tex

Premier Member
I am a rabid fan of the 2nd amendment, and I cross the border to Mexico regularly. When I cross the border I obey the laws of the country I am visiting and leave prohibited items at home. There are work arounds...a couple of them have been stated above. In addition, if you have LEO contacts you may be able to leave it for US Border Patrol to look after for a short time. I've used all three methods in the past. BTW...and I'm sure this goes without saying but, do not go waltzing into the US Border check point with a firearm in your hand without having first made prior arrangements.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Call a gun shop or two nearest to your desired border crossings and ask them about short term storage recommendations. You need an hour or less, generally. Your call on if the cost, time and hassle are worth it for the trip.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some time back, a buddy and I rode over to Sarnia, Ontario crossing at the Blue Water Bridge. We stopped in Port Huron, Township and dropped our firearms off at one of the gun shops. Made it back before they closed and picked them back up. Owner decided not to charge us but we spotted him a twenty anyway. As noted, that WAS a long time ago but I can't see why that wouldn't work today. If nothing else, drop it off and have it cleaned and lubed...;)