So You Want To Do A Rally, But You Don't Know How? Read On

Philmor

Premier Member
Please add another to the list.
Will be just back from a short ride but plan to partake in TAR24

1. Do you have a GPS? What type? Garmin Nuvi 2797 and/or Zumo 590
2. Which mapping programme do you currently use to do a simple route? BaseCamp + Google Maps
3. Do you have a spot tracker? Spot2
4. Do you have a smart phone? iPhone 6s

Tele

Premier Member
I have paid the $40 also and completed the registration. Just in case I can attend, which looks unlikely at this time. I may not know until the few days before the event if I can get coverage to escape work. :(

Fatman, let me check on whether its per bike or per person with TJ and I'll get back to you. The $40 is to cover costs associated with the venue hire and insurances. The trainers and rally masters also must pay and register, and reimbursements will take place for them I believe. TJ can confirm this. I'd better get my own registration done!

tj189

Premier Member
Fatman, let me check on whether its per bike or per person with TJ and I'll get back to you. The $40 is to cover costs associated with the venue hire and insurances. The trainers and rally masters also must pay and register, and reimbursements will take place for them I believe. TJ can confirm this. I'd better get my own registration done!
Apologies Michael and Lynne. Did not think about Pillions on this :oops:. We need all of our participants to register, fees for pillions will be $20

Fatman

OK thanks for the replies Milady and TJ.

So I have already previously registered myself and Lynne as a pillion/passenger and paid the $40.

I have just tried to register Lynne on her own, selected new "pillion $20" option but the system does not allow me to pay for a pillion on their own.. Do you want her just to pay the money on the day??

Fatman

Thanks TJ for sorting this out and phoning me with the updates.

All sorted $20 has been paid and Lynne is registered..

Thanks again TJ

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hopelessly behind reading all my shit....This is a great initiative....too bad I cant make it for the training round.....Still keen to do a preferably multiday rally down under in the not too far ahead future as age is creeping up on me fast!
Now I first have to move my bikes and books down to Portugal in a week and a half and rebuild all down there.....advantage I will be better in the heat as we leave cold and wet Belgium....good luck with the trial and keep us posted on future developments...surely there are more genetically deranged riders around the world that want to participate in an adventure rally down under!

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Michiel,

Good luck with the shift down south and look forward to seeing you at next years IBR.

If you're looking for a ride DownUnder first quarter 2017, come and join me on a Coast to Coast.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With the training day and rally two months away I was hoping that someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

My first question is where is the location of the training being held as I would like to book my accommodation close to training area.

My next question is in regards to the laptop that is needed. I am looking to purchase one for the weekend and not being very computer literate do not know what is needed. Would a tablet be suitable or would I require a full size laptop. I would not use a laptop much as I am quite comfortable at home on my desktop and when on the road I use my phone.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Jeff, the rally location is Taree, on the mid north coast of NSW.

The laptop has become an essential part of most rally participant's kit, along with one or more GPS devices. Generally the waypoints are given out in digital format eg on a USB data stick and the computer is needed to then manipulate the waypoints to create the rider's route. Software such as Garmin BaseCamp, Garmin MapSource (no longer updated by Garmin), TYRE, Steets and Trips (in USA), MS excel and others are options for the routing. Many rallies still offer plain text data so that paper maps can still be used, but that is on the decline. I think that Annette and Shane are using this training rally with a clear future in mind of Aussie rallies that start and finish in the same location and require routing to be done 'on the clock' at some time during the event.

I'm no tech person. I don't know if a tablet is a good choice though, unless it accept the data and it can run the required software for you to plan a route.

I doubt very much that turning up to a rally with just a phone (desktop is still back at home on the desktop of course) would be a good idea. One of the key techniques in successful rally routing has to be the ability to 'see' a winning route among the coloured dots and lines of the map. The small screen of a phone would be pretty cluttered.

As for computers they don't have to be fancy. I personally run a 5 year old lightweight 13inch HP Ultrabook (solid state drive to give some protection against road knocks) and Windows 7. BaseCamp runs just fine on that and that is all I use for routing.

It is always difficult when starting out on a new activity to anticipate just how 'into it' you may become. That can lead to some underpreparation I think (eg getting by with a phone for GPS and a dozen paper maps). That underpreparation may then result in much more stress and difficulty and then much less enjoyment on what should otherwise have been a fun event ie riding around some great roads and seeing places you never thought you would. On the otherhand, picking up a laptop and some form of routing GPS (maybe a phone can do that - I don't know) and spending some time getting used to them over the next couple of months should provide a better opportunity to see what rallying is all about.

Jeff, the rally location is Taree, on the mid north coast of NSW.

The laptop has become an essential part of most rally participant's kit, along with one or more GPS devices. Generally the waypoints are given out in digital format eg on a USB data stick and the computer is needed to then manipulate the waypoints to create the rider's route. Software such as Garmin BaseCamp, Garmin MapSource (no longer updated by Garmin), TYRE, Steets and Trips (in USA), MS excel and others are options for the routing. Many rallies still offer plain text data so that paper maps can still be used, but that is on the decline. I think that Annette and Shane are using this training rally with a clear future in mind of Aussie rallies that start and finish in the same location and require routing to be done 'on the clock' at some time during the event.

I'm no tech person. I don't know if a tablet is a good choice though, unless it accept the data and it can run the required software for you to plan a route.

I doubt very much that turning up to a rally with just a phone (desktop is still back at home on the desktop of course) would be a good idea. One of the key techniques in successful rally routing has to be the ability to 'see' a winning route among the coloured dots and lines of the map. The small screen of a phone would be pretty cluttered.

As for computers they don't have to be fancy. I personally run a 5 year old lightweight 13inch HP Ultrabook (solid state drive to give some protection against road knocks) and Windows 7. BaseCamp runs just fine on that and that is all I use for routing.

It is always difficult when starting out on a new activity to anticipate just how 'into it' you may become. That can lead to some underpreparation I think (eg getting by with a phone for GPS and a dozen paper maps). That underpreparation may then result in much more stress and difficulty and then much less enjoyment on what should otherwise have been a fun event ie riding around some great roads and seeing places you never thought you would. On the otherhand, picking up a laptop and some form of routing GPS (maybe a phone can do that - I don't know) and spending some time getting used to them over the next couple of months should provide a better opportunity to see what rallying is all about.
Trust me - you're gonna love it! Warning though - It's addictive.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for your help, has a venue for the training in Taree been determined yet? I was hoping to reside for the few nights near the venue.
Looking forward to the challenge.
Ahh......... sorry Jeff I didn't pick up that you were asking exactly where in Taree the venue was. My bad.

So basically peeps the venue where the rally will start on the Saturday will be the Taree Tourist Information Center, 21 Manning River Dve Taree. Don't worry - I will send out all the information on the rally, the meeting place for Dinner on the Friday night for those who want to gather for a catch up and meet and greet, the start time for the training , the outline of the training and the rules and details about the rally itself.
These will be posted in a secure place only for the eyes of those people signed up to do the rally itself.
TJ - could you advise once more how people
A) register
And
B) - how they access the secure site.
Your rally masters and trainers are still formulating our plans, but it will be a sensational rally, with lots of learning and a whole lot of fun.
I thought I would post this link to show you how one of our overseas long distance rider clubs explains one of their rallies
You'd be mad to miss this one, the inaugural TAR24.

tj189

Premier Member