Solstice Rides

Dan K

Hi folks!
Newbie question for the powers that be...
To get a solstice/father's Day cert, does the majority/entirety of the ride have to land on that day, or can one just get a start or finish receipt dated from that day?
My reason being, I want to do a solstice ride this weekend, but I have to work on Monday and would like to do my run on Saturday... I can time it so I finish just after midnight Sunday morning. If I absolutely have to I can book Monday off work and do the ride Sunday, but I'd rather not.
The ride page says "you must be riding some time during the date of the equinox", so by my understanding I should be ok, I just have a special route planned and I don't want to miss out on a technicality.

Thanks!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
What, exactly, would be the technicality? You quoted the very plain text of the rule. There is nothing in the rules regarding how much of the ride one needs to do. So a start or end receipt within the time window is fine, although it is at the other end of the spectrum from the purists, who want to be somewhere on the ride at the exact time of the solstice at their location. :)

Proceed!

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
The ride can start or end on the solstice or equinox.

-Mark
Hmm this might throw a wrench in my plan. I'm wanting to dot he purist way which I believe me just before midnight on Sunday night. I was able to get Saturday night off so the plan was to ride Saturday morning until Monday morning so the entire day of the solstice I was on road. I wonder if this will be acceptable or if I need to split my plan ride into two individual rights so that one ends on Sunday

Dan K

The "purist" method is to be on the bike at the precise timing of the solstice (the point at which the Earth's tilt is at its maximum angle). This is supposed to happen at June 21 03:32 GMT or June 20 23:32 Eastern Time

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
So do what I did on my last SS1K, and leave about 4:30am, do your ride, and finish a few minutes before midnight. (All times Eastern)

All on one calendar day, nice and "purist", and then go to work on Monday. ;)

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
As luck would have it no one could fill in for me tonight, so I'll be leaving at the earliest at 3 am. So debating on a very sleep deprived bbg after work, or well rested and push for something bigger.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As luck would have it no one could fill in for me tonight, so I'll be leaving at the earliest at 3 am. So debating on a very sleep deprived bbg after work, or well rested and push for something bigger.
BTDT on leaving after Swing shift for a BBG. Not recommended. It takes a long time for the sun to come up on a ride like that. And you get dangerous when the sun goes down on the tail end of the ride. SS1K would have you done around nightfall though, if not before.