SPOT Gen3 for sale

Not sure of the etiquette on here, but I have a Spot Gen3 and Ram cradle which has been sitting on my desk for quite some time. Does anyone want to buy it? If so, please drop me a line.

0001.jpg 0002.jpg

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Please tell us you called Spot and discontinued/canceled your service. If not... you're still on the hook for however months you haven't used it.

anyways - is there any interest here before i either put it away or punt it on ebay? this model, for those who do not know, can run off of batteries *OR* off the bikes 12v power via a usb port.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We have the IBR coming up. Put a price on it and it may be attractive to someone wanting a spare or back up unit. The Gen 3 unit is a great piece of kit for anyone doing long distance riding. And while it's still a monthly or annual fee for Find Me Spot service, it's a lot less painful when you pick up a used unit over buying a new one.

We have the IBR coming up. Put a price on it and it may be attractive to someone wanting a spare or back up unit. The Gen 3 unit is a great piece of kit for anyone doing long distance riding. And while it's still a monthly or annual fee for Find Me Spot service, it's a lot less painful when you pick up a used unit over buying a new one.
Thanks Eric. Any ides what they are worth? I honestly havent a clue. I dont do IBA length rides anymore (and havent for a while) so I am unware of the value of this unit.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Eric. Any ides what they are worth? I honestly havent a clue. I dont do IBA length rides anymore (and havent for a while) so I am unaware of the value of this unit.
The go in good used condition here in the US for about $40 US or £32. There are two on Ebay UK, one starting at £25 and hoping for £40 now, w/o the Ram mount, which is certainly a perk for moto riders. The US ebay site has several more, running from cheaper to a max of $75 for a new in box unit.

I sold our Gen 2 units after getting the Gen 3s for about that price, ($40), long ago. Spot continues to support all generations of Spot units, so the Gen 3 gives nice updates and better battery life over older units, with the option for bike power too.

I would suggest £35 for the spot with the ram cradle is a fair price and to consider reasonable offers. All the easier if no shipping is required.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Does this work without needing Bubbler GPS on my phone? I may be interested but don't know much about what it is. I'm in Walton-On-Thames.
Yes, the Spot unit is a satellite tracking device, no cellular signal involved. It send pings to the FindmeSpot site, which requires a subscription there to activate and maintain the unit's use. Spotwalla accepts pings from the Spot, just like it does from your phone using the Bubbler GPS app.

You would add the Spot device to your existing Spotwalla account, after activating the Spot unit with findmespot.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks EricV,

I've looked up the info, but it seems very rich (£14.95 per month?) for the use I'd make of it. Thanks for the quick reply...
https://www.findmespot.com/en-gb/products-services/service-plans
The Flex-Basic allows you to just activate it for a 1 month minimum period, if you have a specific trip you wish to use it for, but mostly don't otherwise. I have an annual plan and use it often. Sometimes just so the missus has peace of mind when I'm off on a solo ride. Other times to document our path when traveling for a blog entry, etc.

It's not for everyone. For many the cellular focused devices are good enough. The Sat devices have far better coverage for travelers though.

Firstpeke

You only need to use it once if you have an accident in a no signal perhaps remote area with little traffic......

As said, I use mine more for peace of mind for my wife given the miles I ride, sometimes in areas where there is no mobile service.....

Having had one accident where I ended up off road down a bank, at night, due to ice, I was fortunate as someone stopped to investigate the strange light, my bike!
I had no mobile service and it was somewhat cold.... my injuries meant I could not walk and it was a bit of a climb back to the road!

Spot would have been a life saver had my situation not been resolved!

Of course the bonus is the support for IBA ride verification, receipts still required of course!