Spot renewal

ACTCapo

Just received my Spot account renewal and I can’t really justify ~$330/year ($224.98usd) at the moment. Potentially dumb question; Does anyone know if I will lose access to all my trips and tracks on Spotwalla if I let it lapse? I’m assuming not.

Are there any other tracking alternatives besides buying a dedicated GPS unit (I’m currently using a spot3 and MetroView app on an old iphone6). TIA.

Last edited:

Brookester

Premier Member
You won't lose any trips in Spotwalla as its not associated with SPOT. As for tracking options that do not rely on mobile phone signal? Have you considered the monthly casual plan? Activate for a month or more at a time when using, deactivate when not using. Also remember you don't need the GEOS Rescue with SPOT, just get a KTI PLB for $259 for emergencies-comes with 10yr battery and you log into AMSAR to update trip details before departure.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have had the same situation and cancelled my spot.
I did not loose my trips on Spotwalla.
Spot does now offer a temporary plan that allows you pay by the month and then suspend when not using it. It does have an annual subscription but is somewhat more economical if you do not need it 12 months of the year.
I hope this is of some help.

gus

I cancelled spot for the same reason, spotwalla tracks remain. I use Bubbler light (free) for tracking with no issues
.You need phone reception for constant tracking but it will store at least enough points between servos (towers) across the paddock for people watching to keep an eye on you.

Biggles

Premier Member
I called Spot at renewal time told them it was to expensive and they knocked $100 off. You might try that.
Good point. I just logged in there and there was a customer satisfaction survey pop-up so I told them what we are saying and said I'll probably join the Bubbler users next renewal. I just don't use SPOT enough to justify paying what it averages out at per logged trip. It was $US166 when I joined in 2013, then jumped to about $US176 then $US208 where it has stayed. Either their satellite access costs have gone through the roof or they've gotten greedy.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A little late finding this thread.

I had wrist surgery in early 2018. It was crystal clear there would be no motorcycling for some time. I "cancelled" Spot services. I have the email verifying I cancelled. They attempted to bill me at the end of 2018 anyway. I denied the payment.

The end of 2019 I was under doctors care for potential back surgery - which I had in early Mar 2020 - again Spot attempted to bill me - which again I denied and called them to verify they had my cancellation. They claimed I never cancelled - I have TWO emails from them verifying I did cancel - both 2018 & 2019.

Recently, since I was mostly mended again, I called to see about renewing. I was shocked at the new rates, and more shocked to learn I "owed them" roughly $700 for the years I cancelled. I choose not to repeat the language I used but suffice it to say I told Spot to go hang it in their ear.

I recently beamed into the Bubbler Pro arena. Bugged Jason [Spotwalla] to help me get squared away for a 1K ride I did with my son this past weekend and believe me what I tell you it's awesome - as is Jason Jonas for - helping me see the route and tolerating my nonsense again when I was too stupid to figure out what I had to do next. Being an old fart, oh hell, I was going to type something but I forget what it was..☺

Here's the ride/route.

ZERO chance I will say one word nice about findmespot services.

Get Bubbler, pay a couple bucks a month for the Pro version and help support - those that support us.

Lastly - if you use Spotwalla - don't forget Jason has to eat too - be generous and drop him a thousand bucks as a donation when you get a chance - or for us poor folk - $10/$20 dollars helps keep our ride history in tact...

Aikens.

kwaka

Premier Member
Yeah, when one isn't using SPOT the annual renewal is a killer.
Acting on your post Steve and as I've not used the SPOT service since Sep 2019, and forgetting the renewal was/is every Feb, I logged into Find Me Spot and proceeded to cancel the service.

When clicking Cancel I received a popup that had a new fee structure offered to me called SPOT Flex.
Basically a <$28.00 per year sub and a monthly fee <$19.00 when SPOT is used. I selected this as the activation fee was waived and to keep the service going at a much reduced cost.

Will see how this works out but certainly seems a more viable option for now.

FWIW
I've used both Bubblr and SEConnect phone apps but prefer to have the dedicated SPOT service, well at least until my SPOT dies an honourable death.

Oh and yes, I've donated to Jason in the past too and highly recommend other riders do the same if they use his services.

ACTCapo

When clicking Cancel I received a popup that had a new fee structure offered to me called SPOT Flex.
Basically a <$28.00 per year sub and a monthly fee <$19.00 when SPOT is used. I selected this as the activation fee was waived and to keep the service going at a much reduced cost.

Will see how this works out but certainly seems a more viable option for now.
Kwaka, is it the Spot Flex Basic plan? Do you just pre-pay for the month you want it active?

kwaka

Premier Member
Kwaka, is it the Spot Flex Basic plan? Do you just pre-pay for the month you want it active?
Yes mate, that's how I understand the Flex plan to work.
For me, I'll go onto the new plan when the current annual subscription ends next Feb.

Suggest that SPOT owners log in and have a squizz around as there seems to be a lot more options on offer than from what I remember.

Brookester

Premier Member
Just a heads up for Spotwalla users from Jason posted on 16th September 2020 -
In one form or another, SpotWalla has been thriving for the past 12 years. And it's time for an upgrade. A major upgrade. In fact, an entirely new SpotWalla.
A few issues are driving this. First, we've accumulated some seldom-used bloat and we're going to get rid of it. Second, it's time for a technology upgrade. And lastly, we're preparing for SpotWalla to eventually become a paid-for service in late 2021.
The app owners and I have already been hard at it developing the new SpotWalla. It's my intention to solicit a few power users to start testing the new site sometime in late October. But honestly, there's still a lot to do yet before there's enough functionality to start testing.
I know 2020 has been a peculiar and abnormal year in so many ways. It's not over either. But we're going to do something cool before this year is over.
More information to come as I know it. Y'all be safe out there and have fun.

Jason

I know that whilst I have supported Jason in the past with donations I will most likely continue to support him into the future, after all it was always inevitable that Spotwalla could not survive on donations alone.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Coincidentally... my SPOT renewal is due next month, and I have been thinking about whether or not it
continues to be worth the annual cost.
I have used SPOT devices and Spotwalla (regularly donating to Jason) for many years now, and they have always served me well.
My riding is mostly closer to home these days, more often with company, with much less remote solo travelling involved.
So from here I will probably not renew SPOT.
But I will first check out the options, phone based and others, including those mentioned in this thread, and
when I do go remote again, especially on my own, I may invest in a PLB.

Thanks for the information everyone.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
But I will first check out the options, phone based and others, including those mentioned in this thread, and when I do go remote again, especially on my own, I may invest in a PLB.
I've been carrying a PLB in my stitch leg pocket for more years than I can recall. When I'm on a bike - it's on my person. Beacon renewals are every couple years. I think I've replaced mine once or twice - they have to be replaced every five years.

As to tracking with phone apps, I recently moved to Bubbler Pro. See my post above for a link to a long route. Note that there are a lot of dead areas - no service - through the mountains and forests on that route. No problem creating the route from a historical perspective. PLB is GPS based so emergency help is always available.