Spot Trackers Differences

Farkleit

Premier Member
can users of Spot GEN 3 tell me the differences between this model and the GEN 2 models.
pros and cons would be good as im looking at selling my gen 2 and upgrading to gen 3.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
All of what Kwaka has said...

Plus ..
Easier to operate .. Buttons and finger friendly
Status Leds tell you whats happening better the the Gen2

I use both.. still..
Gen3 on the bike... Gen2 in the pocket Just in-case... If you off and your bike goes one way and you the other way you have a backup in your pocket.

And that's not including the Phone but we know that coverage when you need it can't be relied on.

Hope this helps.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thast some good info there, thanks guys. After a few bad years and some personal questions to myself Im just starting to consider the pros and cons.

Hi Ziggy...LD Learner? really?

Farkleit

Premier Member
Following a few recent issues of not seeing my trip. I contacted Jason from spotwalla.
He advisez that due to the number of spot devices around. They do this thing called polling.
Ie if no signal for a 24hour period ths shot device drops of the active list.
To make sure you have a positive track. Best to turn spot on at leadt 24 hoyrs before you leave. Or before you leave your start point. Send an ok message to get the unit back in the active list.
Check this out
http://forums.spotwalla.com/thread/3/spot-device-polling-scheme

Brookester

Premier Member
Had both and sold my Gen3 as it was a year after that Giant Loop made the "tracker packer" so you could wear it. The Gen2 came with a great armband so I picked up 2 at runout sale & still have one brand new in box.
Spotwalla has always been the case to do a test send 24hrs prior to get it active on the polling from "findmespot".
As I do a lot more Adventure riding these days I still wear my Spot on the left arm for tracking but it is backed up by a KTI model PLB as they have no ongoing subscription and you can log your trip plan with AMSA getting faster rescue if needed.