Spot x

I was wondering if anyone can give me an honest opinion of the spot x? A buddy and I are doing the 4 day route 50 coast to coast ride June 4. I recently heard some not so great info about the spot x. I’m running short on time and would appreciate any info

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I've been using one for about 2.5 years now and have had no issues with it.

I went with the Spot X because of the built-in keyboard (I didn't get the Bluetooth enabled version). My perspective on it was that in an actual emergency situation, I don't want to be reliant on my cell phone working, too (many satellite trackers have/need a connection to a cell phone for more advanced messaging), and I wanted the ability to have two-way communication with emergency services (the basic Spot tracker is "send a message only"). So for my $0.02, the basic Spot X was the way to go.

I've been using one for about 2.5 years now and have had no issues with it.

I went with the Spot X because of the built-in keyboard (I didn't get the Bluetooth enabled version). My perspective on it was that in an actual emergency situation, I don't want to be reliant on my cell phone working, too (many satellite trackers have/need a connection to a cell phone for more advanced messaging), and I wanted the ability to have two-way communication with emergency services (the basic Spot tracker is "send a message only"). So for my $0.02, the basic Spot X was the way to go.
Thanks for the info. Just trying to make sure it’s going to work out. Someone on the facebook group page was saying his spot x wasn’t dropping pins like it should while tracking. He said he rides in the mountains a lot and had a lot of tree cover along the roads he rides.

mburns

Premier Member
I've had my X for a couple of years and like it. Had a gen 2 and later a 3 but wanted the ability to send and receive messages without depending on a cell reception. Using the Spot X app on my phone is easier on the bike but if its not available than the X is fine alone. Never had a issue with lost signal and the wife uses it occasionally when hiking the Appalachian Trail with no issues.