SS 2000 on 911 Week

jsoque

Premier Member
2018 was a busy year for me. Rode my bicycle in 2 century rides for charity, one multi run-bike-run, and the loss of 3 close friends.
I live on Long Island and for the life of me have wanted to cross the Mississippi River on an IBA ride and back and have been planning my SS 2000 in under 48 hours all spring/summer long. Unfortunately, scheduling and long strands of bad weather In the Midwest area, made me cancel twice this summer.
I'd done my SS 1000/24 in 2014, and my SS 1500/36 in 2016 and my timing to do this was NOW!
Finally, I got a window of opportunity to get in my SS 2000/48 on Sept 10-11-12th week. Within a 36 hour window, I made a decision to avoid some Midwest tornado weather, and depart on a more southern route.
Leaving Long Island, and clearing NYC, I steered clear of Washington DC on this occasion, and after clearing Chesapeake Bay, my first far point was Savannah, GA. After rounding that far point, I headed northwest to Chattanooga, TN. Then, running the length of the Great Smokey Mountains, I bend east at Harrisburg, PA and finally an easterly route back thru NYC and home. Distance: 2,116 miles, time: 44 hours 12 minutes.
I had short storm cells to deal with almost 40% of the time, and temps ranging from 58 deg to 92 deg. Using my iPhone 6, I managed to record short video segments every 100 miles or, when I thought it prudent. I estimated that I would accumulate about 20 or so videos for a nice YouTube segment.
So hear it is:

There's no music, lots of dialogue, spansive views, road views, both ocean and mountian views, non stop daytime and night time recording, mental distance calculations, and important thoughts while literally- on the move.
Riders of experience may suggest ways for me to improve, newbies can learn from what I've tried to document. I hope you learn a little bit, just like I did about my own personal limits.
See you out there and feel free to PM me if you need to at [email protected].
Ride Safe and hope you enjoy the video!
Jim Soque
Holbrook, NY

Attachments

2018 was a busy year for me. Rode my bicycle in 2 century rides for charity, one multi run-bike-run, and the loss of 3 close friends.
I live on Long Island and for the life of me have wanted to cross the Mississippi River on an IBA ride and back and have been planning my SS 2000 in under 48 hours all spring/summer long. Unfortunately, scheduling and long strands of bad weather In the Midwest area, made me cancel twice this summer.
I'd done my SS 1000/24 in 2014, and my SS 1500/36 in 2016 and my timing to do this was NOW!
Finally, I got a window of opportunity to get in my SS 2000/48 on Sept 10-11-12th week. Within a 36 hour window, I made a decision to avoid some Midwest tornado weather, and depart on a more southern route.
Leaving Long Island, and clearing NYC, I steered clear of Washington DC on this occasion, and after clearing Chesapeake Bay, my first far point was Savannah, GA. After rounding that far point, I headed northwest to Chattanooga, TN. Then, running the length of the Great Smokey Mountains, I bend east at Harrisburg, PA and finally an easterly route back thru NYC and home. Distance: 2,116 miles, time: 44 hours 12 minutes.
I had short storm cells to deal with almost 40% of the time, and temps ranging from 58 deg to 92 deg. Using my iPhone 6, I managed to record short video segments every 100 miles or, when I thought it prudent. I estimated that I would accumulate about 20 or so videos for a nice YouTube segment.
So hear it is:

There's no music, lots of dialogue, spansive views, road views, both ocean and mountian views, non stop daytime and night time recording, mental distance calculations, and important thoughts while literally- on the move.
Riders of experience may suggest ways for me to improve, newbies can learn from what I've tried to document. I hope you learn a little bit, just like I did about my own personal limits.
See you out there and feel free to PM me if you need to at [email protected].
Ride Safe and hope you enjoy the video!
Jim Soque
Holbrook, NY

Again, congratulations on completing the ride. Found your Youtube post earlier. Also thanks for the video documenting your SS1K. My clan arrived in Long Island in the 1600's, lot of people have found their way there.

-MN North Woods
-Mark

jsoque

Premier Member
Again, congratulations on completing the ride. Found your Youtube post earlier. Also thanks for the video documenting your SS1K. My clan arrived in Long Island in the 1600's, lot of people have found their way there.

-MN North Woods
-Mark
Hey Mark! Thanks for the shout out brotha! Hope we hook up somewhere along the way!
Thanks,
Jim