SS1000 and security milage?

saddle sore rides are fun because you don't have to rush, if you have inter-state hwys for a good share of the ride .the miles are relatively
easy. BBG's are tougher and fuel stops are more critical, my son-ilaws and I just completed a BBG in a little over 22 and 1/2 hours . we rode our normal speeds , we did 10 to 15 min stops . you just have to pay attention to time and pace your self ..these rides are not Races ,but Challenges!!!
That's right...those longer rides do require the rider to be able to keep up a pace and make efficient stops. The more rides you get in, the more experience you get and you will find what works for you.

You can go faster by going slower...

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
8 minutes per stop is ridiculous and TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!
<...>
The bottom line here is that you should stop whenever you need or want one and take as long as you need. Do not tell yourself you can't stop until the next time you get gas! On the colder days, my bladder likes to remind me it's still working and I frequently have to stop every 100 miles or so for about 500-600 miles. It's annoying, but it beats having to hold it in, especially on bumpy roads.
StopsCapture.PNG

Real-life, no kidding data right here from that ride I did a year ago. Overnight stops are removed from this data, which was collected by my GoPro camera taking photos every 30 seconds as well as correlating that with GPX data. My average stop time was 11 minutes. I had 16 stops above average, while 46 stops were below average. This is a total of 66 stops over 8+ days.

Not many are going to hit that 8 minute mark at every stop, I didn't. Yet, I did hit a decent percentage between 7 & 8 minutes when I could. The configuration of stop location, and a whole host of things you mentioned may inhibit those kinds of stop times.

As you know, sometimes it's much easier to get gas, roll 90 miles down the road, and hit that rest area for relief, a pocket full of food, and a quick break. I was needing some of those 20 & 30 minute long stops - and as you noted, I took full advantage of them. That 40 minute stop was on day 1...I was feeling miserable.

Ref: Items #11, 16 and 19 in the Archives of Wisdom: http://www.ironbuttrally.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

The neat part about this activity is that there's a lot of different ways to accomplish the same thing. There are riders that can very easily understand the time-drain that can happen at fuel stops. Those that come into this activity that believe every fuel stop is another chance to have a lengthy discussion about what they just did for the last two hours is the group to learn time management - IBA style.

ibafran

For new riders, prior to the certificate ride, time your fuels stops to see what is comfortable. A fuel only 'splash and dash' might feel comfortable at 5min assuming that the pump delivers the receipt. Add 2min minimum if one has to go inside to get the paper. See how much time is added if one cleans the windshield and helmet visor. How much more time is required for a potty stop? Getting a feel for how much time is normal is part of the preparation learning curve. Every rider/bike is different. Making small adjustments to the way things are done may tighten up the time. Once rider has such info, scheduling stops is more predictable and planning a cert ride is less anxious. When I first started out, a lot of riders claimed to fuel in 4min and I felt challenged. Until I realized that I liked my fuel stops to be scheduled for 12min. I could get everything done in 12min including a bladder drain. If it went well and took 10min, then I had 2min for went it took 14min.
Story Time: On a road trip, I timed my fuel stops just to keep in practice. I pulled into a remote but small 'empty' station' wherein I included bladder relief. The Loo was occupied by one of the station attendants and a polite knock to let him know that the line was forming did not seem to speed things along. 22min for that stop, grrr. I now fuel at large stations if I plan to use the Loo if possible.

I fire up the SPOT in the garage, find the closest wee hours gas station, and take a picture of my receipt with my odometer. If I know I’ve got the miles in, sometimes I’ll hit a gas station several miles from home for the closing receipt. Spot makes the whole process easier.

On a longer ride, like a BBG, I’ve picked up as many as 100 extra miles over. I only get off the bike every second fuel stop. Even when I do, it’s less than 5 minutes a stop most of the time.

I used to start at a local station that's like 1 mile from the house, but then realized that I was losing all sorts of time because it would take 15 minutes or more to get to the interstate. Now I ride about 10 minutes to a station that's right next to the interstate and is open 24 hours. I also use this one as my closing station.

I’ve never had a problem making time. Especially as early as I start an iBA run. I can’t remember the hours for my BBG, but it went fairly quickly (not as quickly as I would have liked- few pumps face a receipt). My most efficient SS1K was just over 14 hours, IIRC. Very short stops. I can see how, in a different area, surface streets could really slow you down though.

Yes, for SS1Ks and the BBG series, no issues. The SS series I don't even try to rush because it's not worth it, so I finish those in about 16 hours and just under 1,200 miles. The last BBG I ran was 1,673 miles in 23:15, with relaxed stops (except for the penultimate one). It's just amazing how much better one can feel when off the bike for 10-15 minutes at a time.

I'm a newbie here; just completed my first SS1000 last month and waiting for the paperwork to be approved. I started at about 0430 hrs. and according to my GPS I had 15:17 hours of running time and 3:26 of stopped time with an average running speed of 68.2 MPH. My initial stops were unplanned, had to add layers about an hour into the ride due to lower temps than predicted but these were less than 5 minutes x 2. First two gas stops ere quick, third was for lunch and long potty stop. Next long stop was an hour for dinner so I could have a good rest before heading home. Got home about 2315 Hrs. and felt good enough to go for another short (150 mile) ride the next morning.
I had thought about the ride for a couple of months; just picking an easy route on I-5 to miss rush hour while going through Portland, OR and my turnaround in Grenada, CA but nothing on gas stops. Along a major freeway there are alway plenty of gas stations so I was planning to stop on "as needed" basis with distances varying from 185 to 240 miles.
Overall the ride went very well for a first attempt at anything over 500 miles in a day but of course with shorter stops it would have been faster. My next attempt will be on more interesting roads so average speeds will be lower.