SS1000 certification question

My name is Scott Crawford (IBA#55622). Last June myself and two friends did a SS1000 around lake michigan. I've had my paperwork prepared for some time, but my two friends are now just getting around to getting all necessary paperwork around. So in that time, my one friend (Dustin Diehm) lost his phone that had all necessary odometer/receipt pictures on it, and it seems that they both (Mark Diehm and Dustin Diehm) lost their physical fuel receipts in that time as well. Mark has his pictures of odometer/receipts.

I have all necessary documentation (copies of receipts, pictures of odometer, spot tracker link, garmin map etc.) for myself and can vouch for both of their ride logs and stops. My fuel tank is larger than theirs so I filled up every other time and put that in the description of my submission.

Now the kicker... My friend Mark was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 3 weeks ago. He hasn't told me the prognosis yet, but I have a feeling this has become a priority on his short term bucket list. It wasn't really a big deal before, honestly I thought they had forgotten about it until a few days ago when he brought it up.

So now my question... With everything that I have, and their partial documentation, do we have enough to get Mark and Dusty certified?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I'm afraid that each rider needs to provide sufficent documentation to demonstrate they rode the ride they claim. Vouching for a rider is not considered "documentation." Mark at least has photos. But I'm not sure how the above standard can be met with no physical receipts and no photos of the receipts, as is Dustin's case.

That said, it doesn't cost anything to submit - we only charge you if the ride is approved. If the decision is to submit, all of you should include a note explaining the situation.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

CB650F

Premier Member
What I find helps, is sending the pictures of my receipt and odometer to my email address as soon as I take them. You can send a text to your own email address from your phone and it should work. That way, you never lose your pics.

kyspyder

Premier Member
It may not help in this situation, but I sync my pictures to google as well as I take a picture with the SWTracker app, that way I have 3 potential copies.

Is there a time limit to submit a SS? I am a occasional LD rider I understand if you have 5000 mile in separate 24 hour periods there is a additional certificate?I have a SS, a SS2000. in 2008 I did a SS but didn't submit Documents. I have individual log sheet with 3 stops per sheet. in 2008 I didn't take pictures. Is this ride still acceptable?? I did note the GPS milage at the end on the log sheet. might say why now? I plan on attenting the Big as Texas Part in sept and will do a SS for my 84 birthday (10-12) with this 2008 ride that will equal 5000 mile.

Bill Jennings
IBA #8549

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Is there a time limit to submit a SS? I am a occasional LD rider I understand if you have 5000 mile in separate 24 hour periods there is a additional certificate?I have a SS, a SS2000. in 2008 I did a SS but didn't submit Documents. I have individual log sheet with 3 stops per sheet. in 2008 I didn't take pictures. Is this ride still acceptable?? I did note the GPS milage at the end on the log sheet. might say why now? I plan on attenting the Big as Texas Part in sept and will do a SS for my 84 birthday (10-12) with this 2008 ride that will equal 5000 mile.

Bill Jennings
IBA #8549
There really isn't a time limit for submitting rides as long as the documentation still exists. But log sheets and GPS mileage notations are not sufficient documentation to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim. So the ride receipts (or photos thereof) would probably be necessary to meet that standard.

I am unaware of an award, other than the Mile Eater award (which can be for as little as two IBA certificate rides) for riding a total of 5,000 IBA certificate miles over a course of a thirteen-year period.

The listing of all our certificate rides can be found at

https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/index.html

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association