SS1000 Planning and Google Maps

I recently completed my first SS1000 and I am awaiting certification now. I used Google maps to plan my route and all my stops. I also developed an excel spreadsheet to help me calculate my estimated arrival times and departure times including breaks. You can enter any departure time and the spreadsheet will automatically up date the trip. I have posted a how to video on Google maps and the spreadsheet here -
If anyone wants the excel file just drop me a note and I will email it to you.
I found it helpful to be able to plan breaks and then be able to keep myself on schedule or at least know how far behind schedule I was as the trip progressed. I hope someone will find this useful.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Tim - congratulations on completing your first SS. Sharing your experience and any tips is a great way to assist current and future LD riders. I still like to use Google Maps for all my initial route planning; save to a KML/KMZ file, import to Base Camp - review and change to a trip; and finally import to Garmin GPS. I will usually have one file with the entire trip and then separate files for each leg. It is a multi-step process; but it provides some redundancy if my GPS (still need to add a 2nd GPS on the bike) fails and I can still access my route from my phone through My Maps. It came in handy during a recent 32 hour rally. I also use an Excel spreadsheet as a quick reference while on the move and another redundancy if all technology devices fail or are unavailable. I allow time for gas stops/breaks. For planning purposes - I always calculate a 15 minute routine gas stop which provides a cushion if delayed at the pump for a receipt etc. Every other or third stop I generally add another 15 minutes for a longer break since my range is 225-275 usually between fuel for a snack (unless on a BBG pace - in which case, I eat while riding).

Scott, thanks for the input. I bet it will help others as they plan rides. I didnt have a GPS other than my iPhone so the simple Google maps and spread sheet worked for me. I agree that 10 min stops for fuel are not really realistic if you include the time to slow down and get back up to speed along with bathroom breaks, and at 51 I need a bathroom break at most stops. Using the spreadsheet does help to plan these and for me to visualize my total trip. You have a good point about the technology failing to. While I was in the mountains at the Tail of the Dragon, I lost my internet and could not use it to re-route as I wanted. So I went old school and stopped to ask a local. I actually used the spreadsheet to log my ride and compare my progress as I went along and then used it as part of my ride submittal for certification.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Something else to consider...

Create an image of the spreadsheet, then save that image as a photo on your phone.

No, it's not editable, but you'd at least have something there as reference without a data requirement to all of your handiwork.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Ken,
Great idea! an image and the file if you have a smart phone. I like the paper itself to pull out at gas stops though.
I like a physical spreadsheet as well. I laminate and keep it on the top pocket of the tank bag where I can refer to it as I ride. It provides a reminder of what specific exit I need to take with the mileage for the leg and estimated arrival/departure times etc. It is just one other thing I find useful to occupy the mind during a ride. I also always have maps with me.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
First, congratulations on your first certified ride.
Google is a great help in planning a ride, certified or not. I create the main route using Google MyMaps and Google Maps to zoom in and use street view and satellite view to confirm.
I can load the MyMap on my phone or tablet if one of the 2 GPS fails. I export the Google MyMaps as a KMZ/KML file to import into Basecamp (like Scott was commenting) and makes the routing very easy, just get the waypoints to create the route. Adding individual stop time or rest time in Basecamp is a one by one task that is a little time consuming.
Using pairs of coordinates I have the XLS file get me time and distance from Google to the spreadsheet and an easy copy/paste to my template. Using a list I can then assign the type of stop and corresponding time to that stop. I have seeing that Google time is a little on the safe side (at least here in the West) so I decided to have a variable factor to adjust the overall time. You can take the sheet on your phone either as xls or a Google Sheet even available without connection.

Nothing beats knowing where you're going and good printed instructions or paper maps.

marcham

Premier Member
Great tutorial and tips. Congrats on the ride completion.

Another good tool for route planning is Furkot.com. It allows for automatic stop time calculation, fuel stop calculation based on user input fuel range and overnight stop planning based on maximum driving time per day. Routes can be exported in popular formats. It supports offline navigation for mobile devices.

moose

Premier Member
Just as other have said congrats to your SS 1000. But you most have put lot of energy in that spreadsheet . Next year i am trying to do a long trip her in Europe, so if you would be so kind to email me that spreadsheet of yours, my planning is going to be a lot easier. Email address [email protected].
Best regards Dan