SS3000K GOLD with nested QLD SS2000K

Foxton1

Premier Member
Hi all, having just completed the IBA Australia - 20th Anniversary 50CC Ride, I was motivated to attempt at least one more certification whilst returning home. I was feeling good, and recovering well from any aches or tiredness the days before. Whilst stretching my legs to satisfy a craving before watching the F1 replay, I came to the realisation my original plan to attempt the Centreline 24 was not possible at this time. In the weeks prior, I had calculated the Centreline 24 may be possible with the higher 130 KMH speed limits. But after completing the Centreline 36, I accepted the Centreline 24 would need to wait. The main reasons were the BMW R1250RS's 19 litre fuel tank requiring more fuel stops + fuel conservation, and my preference to stay under 100 KMH at night when unable to follow a truck - for self-preservation reasons after close-calls near Marla with roos and cattle.

So a new set of ideas were formed, with the help of the hotel room's bread knife as a substitute ruler. :p

Map with fuel stops.JPG

F1 craving.jpeg Breadknife planning.jpg

Darwin to Mt Isa

Heading into Queensland and down the coast could allow an attempt for an SS3000K GOLD and nested SS2000K - both of which I had on my radar as future attempts. Starting from Mt Isa would be best, as I could then enjoy the ride from Darwin without being on the clock - an aspect I found myself desiring more whilst riding through my favourite terrain - the Australian Outback.

I bid my late-night hotel caretaker farewell as he opened the carpark security roller door. I preferred not to ride too long in the warm, pre-dawn air - just long enough before I hit the 130 KMH limits. Although the air was a pleasant temperature, it was smoky from various fires in the region. Thankfully, there were long sections where there was no smoke, and the journey was scenic and largely uneventful - except for the need to stop at a place named Pamayu about 90 KM south of Elliott. As many would appreciate, the desert can have quite a lot of wind and wind gusts. The wind claimed a caravan late that morning, and by the time I arrived on scene around 1230pm, several police and tow trucks were managing the situation. I was glad to see no-one was hurt, and our lane was only stopped for a few minutes.

Pamayu NT.JPG

Territorians are a funny bunch... they love to dress-up their termite mounds and let their creativity loose! :D I saw so many heading south on the Stuart Highway. If you google "termite mounds with shirts" - you'll know what I'm on about. After refuelling at the Threeways Roadhouse, I really enjoyed heading east on the Barkly Highway. Great road surface, perfect riding conditions, and for the most part - no smoke until closer to Barkly Homestead, which cleared quickly.

I was enjoying the ride too much to take photos along this stretch. The only occasion I regret not stopping for, was on a section around Ranken NT where parched fields on either side of the road were a brilliant wheat colour contrasting against the dark road and deep blue sky. On my right at one point, part of the moon was visible against a mobile phone tower upon a low sun. Although not completely the same, it triggered an image in my mind of the Star Wars Tattoine scene where Luke looks into the distance. The moment was calm and serene, as I cruised on by. :)

After crossing into Queensland I refuelled at Camooweal before the sun set. I elected to follow the tail lights of slower vehicles into Mt Isa, dropping to a relaxed 80 KMH for the most part, as there were numerous warning signs of that section being a high crash zone, wandering cattle, and roos/wildlife after dark. Soon enough, the bright lights of the mines came into view. I knew I could have made this into an SS1600K with a few tweaks, but was happy with my choice on this leg - as I got to the point where I felt I needed to just ride for fun. The last ride where I didn't attempt a certified ride was before my USA trip in May.

Beeline to Mt Isa.PNG

The Copper City Motel self-serve check-in proved easier than expected. The room was decent, and not noisy at all - a factor I tend to research the reviews of others before booking. It is here I rested for a day, and ensured I found a small present for Mrs Foxton whilst stretching my legs around my side of town.

Mt Isa QLD motel.JPG
Mt Isa QLD visitor centre.JPG

FYI - I'm afraid this is where the photos end for this report.

Mt Isa to Sippy Downs (Brisbane)

No pre-dawn start on this occasion... one of the key factors in planning my start and finish times was riding in daylight at specific points in this attempt. The first 24 hours would be ok, but I wanted to ensure I'd be riding in daylight for the final 1000 KM. Departing Mt Isa in daylight, in theory if things go to plan, meant I would arrive at the 2000 KM point around dawn, then hit higher freeway speeds on a very familiar section in daylight when I'd be the most tired. Again if all went to plan, I would finish the 3000 KM at dusk. I anticipated this ride to be as tough, if not tougher, than the 50CC - as I was not stopping for a sleep & shower. I would have to manage my fatigue through other means.

At the 703am SaddleSore go-time, I caused the cashier both confusion and amusement in purchasing a pack of gum for $2.90, as I had refuelled the day before, to ensure I had 15 litres of spare fuel in the not-so-great Desert Fox fuel bladder. I had given the fuel bladder a go based on its dimensions which fit nicely in my top box. But it had proved difficult to fill, difficult to use when putting its fuel in the bike, and it somehow allows the smell of fuel to permeate throughout everything near it. Fast-forward to unpacking my top-box at home... I had a pack of individually sealed muesli bars - all of which became inedible, as they smelled & tasted like petrol upon opening their wrappers and attempting to consume. I digress...

Cloncurry, Julia Creek, Hughenden all came and went easily before refuelling again at Charters Towers - which was bustling with people going about their day at 230pm. No time for photos during this attempt - other than receipts with with bike's odometer. After Clermont, I stopped at Maccas for some hot food. It was chaos, as scores of teenagers were in fancy dress crowding around their friends working behind the counter. I made a mental note to do a 180 if I ever see that again - IBA ride or not! The delay cost about 10 mins over the usual time to get a coffee and burger, which I ate in the parking lot. Not the most relaxing of breaks, but the hot food and drink made all the difference at that point. I was ready for the long night ahead.

Rockhampton had some road works with police assisting to ensure traffic was behaving around the road workers. Rather than risk more roadworks in the centre of town, and that I'd stopped at Emerald for hot food earlier, I refuelled at South Rockhampton... close enough. I was now on the east coast heading south toward Brisbane. This is where heavy, dense fog started to play havoc with my pin-lock visor. The HJC carbon does make a difference on multi-day rides with its lighter weight reducing impact to one's neck, but my other Shark helmet is way better for ventilation and preventing fog. In addition to resuming the tactic of following other vehicle's tail lights, I had no choice but to stop and get a cloth to regularly wipe the fog from my visor and glasses. I'd wipe the visor until wiping it made no difference, then flipped the visor up - wiping my glasses as the cold air hit my face, until the glasses needed me to stop for a proper clean - where I also sorted-out the visor, and resumed the use-visor-then-glasses method between well-lit areas. That worked ok until I lost the cloth with my glove on. DOH! I was down to one cloth, so I improvised by removing my gloves and holding the cloth in my bare hands with the heated grips on their highest setting. Not the most safe or comfortable arrangement, but my fingers weren't frozen and I could wipe my visor and glasses without losing the last cloth. This sucked a lot of energy from me, all the way from Rocky to Sippy Downs - some 500km. At least at the refuelling stop, I could put my gloves back with the fog having cleared at that stop.

I was feeling knackered at my SS2000K mark. The sense of achievement was there, but was muted by the concentration needed to get through the fog, and that I wasn't done yet. I had made it from Mt Isa to Sippy Downs in 22 hours 36 minutes, with readings of 2048 KM odometer / 2069 KM GPS.

Sippy Downs (Brisbane) to Seven Hills (Sydney)

Fatigue management was vital for me now. I recalled a good chat with Derrick over dinner in Darwin... where he often uses a 10 minute nap to manage fatigue. With the sun getting brighter, I made a plan to try a roadside nap at my next fuel stop of Ballina. The morning traffic around Brisbane wasn't bad, but did sap more concentration than I wanted - largely due to never having driven or ridden around Brisbane before. It was about 50 KM before Ballina that I looked for a side road off the freeway to nap. I recognised I was too drowsy to make Ballina. A quiet side-road was spotted, and I was soon setting my phone's alarm with a 15 minute timer to ensure I wouldn't risk sleeping longer. With helmet still on, I plonked myself on the grass under a tree facing the sun, with the phone near my mouth so I could hear its alarm. I fell asleep instantly, waking a few minutes before the alarm sounded.

What a difference! I couldn't believe that worked. Those signs in Victoria were correct.

I jumped back on the bike and refuelled without issue at Ballina. Now on familiar roads, I was feeling better but there was still some fatigue lingering. About 100km after Ballina, I pulled over to a quiet side road with a stream. Rather than have another nap, I did some exercises to get the blood pumping. I'd done this on one other ride where it reduced my fatigue, so I tried it again. Only one other vehicle passed me as I did some push-ups and sprints. That made me feel better (the exercise, not the embarrassment of looking like a turkey)... back on the bike and freeway again.

The only planned stop I would change if I was to do this route again, would be Kempsey. I mustn't have paid close attention to its location when planning - as it was deep in the main part of town off the freeway. I lost a bit of time getting to it, and back onto the freeway. But a quick mental calculation had me running to plan, even with my fatigue management stops - so I wasn't concerned.

Heatherbrae passed quickly, and I was on the home leg. Although I was feeling a bit sore and achy, my concentration level was good. My excitement and relief increased, until it peaked at my final stop of Seven Hills at 541pm.

I had ridden 3034 KM (odometer) / 3066 KM (GPS) in 34 hours 38 minutes. SS3000K GOLD baby! Completing this ride meant a lot to me, as I pushed myself harder than ever before. Of all the rides I'd attempted over the past year, this one with the least amount of planning, was the one I thought I may have to pull-the-pin on mid-journey - or would encounter an unrecoverable issue.

Special thanks to Derrick for mentioning how power naps help him. What may have been a small conversation point, I believe, helped me complete this ride more safely than if I had not tried a power nap. I don't believe 2 sets of exercises would have benefit me more than 1 nap and 1 set of exercises.

At home, it was great to be with my loved ones again. Needless to say, I went to sleep early that night - it was so good to be in my own bed again. I slept for over 12 hours, and found it very hard getting back into the swing of things for work. Now... onto finalising the plan for one more certified ride this year. ;)