Start Time

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
oude geit I usually start my rides from between 0300 and 0500. I sort of used to be religious about the 0400 start but after a few years in noted some standing about at the docket site or worse still that waking and lying in bed waiting for kick off time. So Now Im a bit flexible. My day sees me wake at 0430 regardless so this time window mostly fits a normal sort of day for me. BUT I do now place much more emphasis on my 1500 rest to feed stop. For me its food on board well before last light here in Australia. I take perhaps 40 minutes and feel very fine well into the next morning.
To be honest all ive done is fine tune my start time to fit some time after 0300. For me its gained an advantage 13 hours down the road.

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Great question!
This how I ride the BBG. (I have done 10 BBG in the last 1 year.). I am a seat of the pants rider using google maps. First I plan the route carefully with lots of interstate or freeway miles. I Estimate 60 mph speed with choreographed gas stops. I pick the choke points of the ride. (Rush hour traffic, the big city, road construction, the slowest segments,). Then plan the start based on the best time for arrival at those points. I personally love riding the interstate at 80 mph in the wee hours. I minimize 2 lane and twisty roads at night. The start time can at any time. The ride is going to be 24 hours because you have to average 62 mph for 24 hours for the prize. I like to build a little time cushion early in the ride so that I finish in time if I encounter a delay. I write down the start time and start mileage so that I know when and where I have crossed the finish line.
I hope this is helpful for your BBG. Georgemowry

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I find it better for me to start well rested, I alter my route where I can to miss traffic, but its netter for me to start the ride coming of a solid 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Than to start in a deficit. I've done it both ways and I.m better off well rested in my normal pattern figuring out a way to get around the traffic.

Well the "starting time" will come soon enough. I have decided to get as much front sleep as is "normal", if possible lol. I am almost always up by 330. The I'm ready to GO is already beginning and I have two days and a wake up left to go. Gave the ST a 25 mile ride loaded to get the final, before the final check done. I must say the ST holds a lot of stuff, I have room to spare......I have the stops preprogrammed to 250 miles, 1 Gallon emergency can on board as well....
Thanks for all the replies. Hearing someone else's game plan is always a plus, not that its about finding a way to do something, but hearing others rational process helps IMHO. I think it adds good flavor to the task of planning, which seems to always hold a great deal of enjoyment and excitement in its own rite. Thank You

JimBurriss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The last SS1K I did started at 0706. Ended at 2232. Greenville SC to Key West Fl. That was a week ago. I try to time the route (I'm not good at it by any means) to avoid big traffic areas at rush hour. It worked well this time as I missed most traffic, except for some construction delays on the FL turnpike. The ride from Florida City to Key West was a speed limit cruise that never had me put my foot down.

To close the books on this. Thanks for all replies and links. I ended up going home from work straight to bed. Slept till 1130...dressed and headed to start point on freeway. Like some, I like to get my mph avg up as high as possible early. Got a 108 start time, 100 miles of fog, 1200 miles of good weather, and about 200 miles of west Texas rain, if you understand WTR. If not, well it ain't wet. Arrived 22 hours 19 minutes later at destination, Van Horn, Texas. 1526 miles. Paperwork looks good, spotwalla track looks good, hoping to win approval from IBA. Thanks again.

ibafran

All useful advice. Sometimes....the wee hour preferred start time makes it impossible to get real sleep due to general nervousness in anticipation of the fun. Or the weather might force a change in start time. For safety's sake, always be prepared to cancel a ride for any reason including "just having an uncomfortable feeling" about going. Start as you can and do not obsess about a particular hour.

To close the books on this. Thanks for all replies and links. I ended up going home from work straight to bed. Slept till 1130...dressed and headed to start point on freeway. Like some, I like to get my mph avg up as high as possible early. Got a 108 start time, 100 miles of fog, 1200 miles of good weather, and about 200 miles of west Texas rain, if you understand WTR. If not, well it ain't wet. Arrived 22 hours 19 minutes later at destination, Van Horn, Texas. 1526 miles. Paperwork looks good, spotwalla track looks good, hoping to win approval from IBA. Thanks again.
Congratulations and thanks for asking a great question!