Starting point

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Can the CCC the hard way be started in Sfo? Can the Border to Border to Border be started in Canada?
The 50cc The Hard Way refers to any 50cc ride that is 2,900 miles or longer. It can start and end in places other than New York and San Francisco. I'm not aware offhand of anyone finishing a 100ccc The Hard Way.

As the first sentence in the Border to Border rules state, "The Border to Border is a ride from Canada to Mexico (or Mexico to Canada) that is completed. . ."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

papatango

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Airportbum - I started in Windsor, ON, went to Piedras Negras, MX/Eagle Pass, TX and back to Windsor, ON. Crossing back into Detroit I was given VIP treatment from the Customs/Border Protection folks. Their computer had me going into Canada back into the US and then Mexico and returning to the US with another set of border crossings in Detroit in just a couple of days. Seems their computer has a real problem with that! Before they put the rubber gloves on for an extended oral/rectal cavity search my son-in-law "saved" me. He is a supervisor border agent and waited for the last second to vouch for me by saying I was simply crazy. I had visions of my bike becoming a huge pile of disassembled parts.

Enjoy your trip.

Glenn Pancoast
IBA#216

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 50cc The Hard Way refers to any 50cc ride that is 2,900 miles or longer. It can start and end in places other than New York and San Francisco. I'm not aware offhand of anyone finishing a 100ccc The Hard Way.

As the first sentence in the Border to Border rules state, "The Border to Border is a ride from Canada to Mexico (or Mexico to Canada) that is completed. . ."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Harry Knerr did it in 2014, Jim Frens and Gary Johnson did it in 2000

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Hi Airportbum - I started in Windsor, ON, went to Piedras Negras, MX/Eagle Pass, TX and back to Windsor, ON. Crossing back into Detroit I was given VIP treatment from the Customs/Border Protection folks. Their computer had me going into Canada back into the US and then Mexico and returning to the US with another set of border crossings in Detroit in just a couple of days. Seems their computer has a real problem with that! Before they put the rubber gloves on for an extended oral/rectal cavity search my son-in-law "saved" me. He is a supervisor border agent and waited for the last second to vouch for me by saying I was simply crazy. I had visions of my bike becoming a huge pile of disassembled parts.

Enjoy your trip.

Glenn Pancoast
IBA#216
So they give free prostate exams at the border?;)

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 50cc The Hard Way refers to any 50cc ride that is 2,900 miles or longer. It can start and end in places other than New York and San Francisco. I'm not aware offhand of anyone finishing a 100ccc The Hard Way."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I have been disappointed for a while about one of my rides not being classed as "The Hard Way" or Gold Extreme, Gold Insanity level...
Doing 3,280 miles in < 50 hrs and not a motorway insight, travelling through towns and avoiding animals for 2 nights made the ride one to remember and would have thought it would have the value to classify it "The Hard Way" or Gold Extreme, Gold Insanity level...

But some day it may merit a re-look... :)

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I have been disappointed for a while about one of my rides not being classed as "The Hard Way" or Gold Extreme, Gold Insanity level...
Doing 3,280 miles in < 50 hrs and not a motorway insight, travelling through towns and avoiding animals for 2 nights made the ride one to remember and would have thought it would have the value to classify it "The Hard Way" or Gold Extreme, Gold Insanity level...

Ziggy, what was the start and end points?

While 3,280 in under 50 hours is commendable it is a BunBurner GOLD back to back which is classified as extreme under the rules of a BBG3000

There are NO rides that I can see that classify the ride based on the type of roads.

This is just my .02 cents .

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ziggy, what was the start and end points?

While 3,280 in under 50 hours is commendable it is a BunBurner GOLD back to back which is classified as extreme under the rules of a BBG3000

There are NO rides that I can see that classify the ride based on the type of roads.

This is just my .02 cents .
This is true for the road classification .. This was to add to the overall ride difficulty level of the 50CC gold which could be classed as "The Hard Way" or Gold Extreme, Gold Insanity level 50CC ..yes the Gold Extreme, Gold Insanity level is an addition to the 50CC Quest levels.

However this places a challenge for others that may want to do the ride too.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff

Exactly what ride was that? Why wasn't it recognized as a 50cc The Hard Way?

If you don't want to discuss it here on the forum, drop me an PM or an email.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt association

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Exactly what ride was that? Why wasn't it recognized as a 50cc The Hard Way?

If you don't want to discuss it here on the forum, drop me an PM or an email.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt association

Email Sent Ira

RFlagg42

IBR Finisher
There are a few that I can think of off the top of my head that are probably considered GOLD due to the nature of the roads involved:
(1) Heaven to Hell 1000 GOLD
(2) Historic US-50 Coast to Coast GOLD (CA to MD via US-50 3,073 miles less than 3 days).

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are a few that I can think of off the top of my head that are probably considered GOLD due to the nature of the roads involved:
(1) Heaven to Hell 1000 GOLD
(2) Historic US-50 Coast to Coast GOLD (CA to MD via US-50 3,073 miles less than 3 days).
:).. I was not going to mention too much on that side RFlagg42 ... and retreated .... But you mentioned a couple and we have one in the UK called the End 2 End Gold... it's only a 1000 miles but warrants Gold due to the roads.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
:).. I was not going to mention too much on that side RFlagg42 ... and retreated .... But you mentioned a couple and we have one in the UK called the End 2 End Gold... it's only a 1000 miles but warrants Gold due to the roads.
I lived in England for two yrs, I couldn't imagine doing a ss1000 there, hats off to those riders.