Starting to plan a 50cc differently

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We were thinking of leaving asst 2200 hrs which would put us in West Texas in the morning. We would be leaving Houston in the middle of the day, no traffic. Idk we are trying to figure out stoppingg points
Houston is about 1500 miles, much farther than the halfway point. Many have ridden a BBG on the first day to Houston while riding the 50CC.

A year ago I rode straight through on a 50CC finishing the ride in 29 hours and 23 minutes.

Here is a link to the ride report.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-2923.html

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
It's strongly advised to *not* mess with your circadian rhythm on a ride like this, especially if you've NOT messed with it (circadian rhythm) on other Iron Butt rides.

If you've done a 16 to 18 hour SS1000, the extra 250 - 300 miles needed to get to half-way will seem like an eternity - the first time you do it.

My one (and only...thus far) 50CC was done in conjunction with a different ride, I did heading east.

1250 miles in 18 hours...2180 miles in ~42 hours. With this data, I knew doing ~2380 miles in less than 50 would be achievable for me.

I am contemplating a 50cc from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, ME, to the San Diego Naval Base. Distance is 3100 miles, whether I take a northern route with a midpoint in Lincoln, NE, or a more southern route with a midpoint in Joplin, MO.

I have done a BBG from Newington, NH (starting point only 3 miles from the shipyard), to Joplin, 1546mi, in 23:05

I would likely attempt 48 hours to also get back to back BBGs, and if I am not successful with the 50cc attempt, I would make a second attempt by a more conventional SD to Jax route

My question to the group, should I take the northern or southern route ?, also best month of the year ?

Tele

Premier Member
I did a guided trip from Chicago to Santa Monica "Route 66" trip over 16 days with a group of 'then' strangers from Switzerland, Germany, Brazil UK and Australia. We are now all friends. Buggger this 50CC stuff. Sounds like hard work. We got to drink beers and tequila, and eat some really nice food and see some very nice stuff. Re-think the need for "insanity" status. Take time to smell the roses :):);):cool:

In all seriousness, best wishes whatever you decide to do !

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I am contemplating a 50cc from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, ME, to the San Diego Naval Base. Distance is 3100 miles<...>
@Greg Rice to the courtesy phone...

My question to the group, should I take the northern or southern route ?, also best month of the year ?
I'll defer my answer until Greg has a look at what you're contemplating.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am contemplating a 50cc from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, ME, to the San Diego Naval Base. Distance is 3100 miles, whether I take a northern route with a midpoint in Lincoln, NE, or a more southern route with a midpoint in Joplin, MO.

I have done a BBG from Newington, NH (starting point only 3 miles from the shipyard), to Joplin, 1546mi, in 23:05

I would likely attempt 48 hours to also get back to back BBGs, and if I am not successful with the 50cc attempt, I would make a second attempt by a more conventional SD to Jax route

Your route idea could be done but it would have to be a fast pace, faster than a BBG pace ( 63 mph overall average ) once you get west of Illinois because all of the traffic in the northeast.

I would guess that you would have to attempt the ride in June to August timeframe.

You probably need to build in at least 4 hours of rest somewhere along the route.

The start timing would really be a big part so that you miss most of the rush hour traffic.

Your route idea could be done but it would have to be a fast pace, faster than a BBG pace ( 63 mph overall average ) once you get west of Illinois because all of the traffic in the northeast.

I would guess that you would have to attempt the ride in June to August timeframe.

You probably need to build in at least 4 hours of rest somewhere along the route.

The start timing would really be a big part so that you miss most of the rush hour traffic.
not sure if you caught the part where I have already done a BBG from Newington NH to Joplin, MO, I am aware of the pace, and traffic,

I could very easily use the same route & gas stops & timing for the first half, it gets me out of New England with very little traffic

I know it is an ambitious goal

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We it me I would do the route through Joplin. You know the first half and it keeps you away from NY and Chicago. Although I did a BBG several years ago across 90 past Chicago and out into Iowa, (Ironbutt Sign) as I remember I left Milton about 0900. and traffic was minimal.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
not sure if you caught the part where I have already done a BBG from Newington NH to Joplin, MO, I am aware of the pace, and traffic,

I could very easily use the same route & gas stops & timing for the first half, it gets me out of New England with very little traffic

I know it is an ambitious goal
I read where you have completed a BBG and I know that is a hard ride, I just completed my 59th BBG.

My thought was about doing a BBG out of Maine and then having to ride another BBG back to back.

Back to back BBG’s is not easy but doable and many have done it.

I like when we are ambitious and come up with new ride ideas.

Good planning will help you be successful.

I like when we are ambitious and come up with new ride ideas.

Good planning will help you be successful.
I
That's why I'm here, and glad guys like you are here, when I did my BBG, living in the northeast took a lot of planning, about 4x the number of hours the ride was, in the end, it almost went like clockwork, I was 45 minutes ahead of my 23 hour schedule at my last fuel stop when I made my confirmation phone call to my witnesses, they were held up, I slowed my pace for them to catch me and follow me the last 100 miles