Storing Extra Tires

DrNeo

Premier Member
I have a set of tires with ~70% life left that I took off prior to my 48 in 10 attempt. I asked Mr. Google but he didn't seem to have much to say about storing motorcycle tires off the bike. My thoughts are to store the each tire in a large garbage bag (with as much air removed as possible), off the floor, in the basement closet. As we move into winter our thermostat is set at 60 during the day, and 53 at night, but there isn't nearly that much fluctuation in the basement. I think this is better than sitting the garage all winter.

Thoughts?

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Unless your talking about keeping them multiples of years I think out of the light is probably sufficient. Where do you keep the tires on your bike in the off season?

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
  • Before storing grab some soap, water a tire brush to clean each tire of dirt, grime and brake dust. If you keep your tires on wheels, make sure to clean those too. Make sure to dry completely and don’t apply any type of tire dressing.
  • After cleaning, place each tire in its own large, airtight plastic bag (lawn and leaf bags work well here) for storing. Avoid any moisture in the bag and remove as much air as possible. Close the bag tightly with tape to create a personal space for each tire. This helps to reduce oil evaporation.
  • Keep tires out of direct sunlight. The sun’s ultraviolet rays and heat are detrimental to rubber.
  • Place the tires in a cool (but not freezing), dry location. A basement or climate-controlled space works best whereas a standard garage, shed or attic often see a wide range of hot and cold temperatures as well as precipitation and humidity. Make sure to store your tires away from things like electric motors, furnaces, switches, and sump pumps because they are sources of ozone.
  • If possible, store tires vertically rather than stacking horizontally to reduce stress and tire distortion. Also, place on a piece of clean wood and not directly on the ground.

DrNeo

Premier Member
Thanks rneal and Amnon

In reference to rneal's storage question... Last year I had a rear tire delaminate over the winter. The bike was stored in my Minnesota unheated garage, on the center stand, over a piece of carpet. The dealer warrantied the tire, but I still had to pay for mounting/balancing. Therefore, I'm thinking that I may also bring the tires that are mounted on my bike inside for the winter too. Overkill? Maybe, but it will help me sleep at night!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks rneal and Amnon

In reference to rneal's storage question... Last year I had a rear tire delaminate over the winter. The bike was stored in my Minnesota unheated garage, on the center stand, over a piece of carpet. The dealer warrantied the tire, but I still had to pay for mounting/balancing. Therefore, I'm thinking that I may also bring the tires that are mounted on my bike inside for the winter too. Overkill? Maybe, but it will help me sleep at night!
You are the second person I have heard of that happening were they Bridgestones? The first was in this thread in the old forum http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8226&KW=nhrider