Suggestions of Iron Butt Saddle Sore from DFW?

I attempted the 1,000 miles on June 7th, but had an issue with my bike and got stuck out in the heat of west Texas for hours trying to arrange for a tow truck in the middle of nowhere. Bike is fixed and I'm wanting to do this again! I would rather not go west Texas again only because of the heat and the lack of signal too. TIA!

DarkoDanny

Premier Member
you are going to roast pretty much everywhere out of DFW in the summer unless you catch a day of rain or a freak cold front. you can go just about any direction.... north up to Kansas, east to New Orleans and back, down to Padre and back. If heat is the problem i'd wait till the early fall, the only issue is you have less daylight hours for riding.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Two ways to consider your route - not knowing what your original routing was...

(a) Dallas | Monahans | Marshall | Dallas This is an out-and-back, but 'home' is in the middle of it -and- you get the bonus of it being an in-state ride. Now, along I-20, I wouldn't expect loss of signal, but if you're off on some of the FM roads, all bets are off.

(b) Choose your route to take you in some direction you haven't been. BMW RT Pilot has a good, simple loop and that would be a fun ride. I do like riding in the Piney Woods region, but it *does* get damn dark out there at night.

I think I'd also be considering a couple of simple 500 mile days, just to prove to yourself the bike isn't going to leave you stranded along the road again.

Good luck!!

you are going to roast pretty much everywhere out of DFW in the summer unless you catch a day of rain or a freak cold front. you can go just about any direction.... north up to Kansas, east to New Orleans and back, down to Padre and back. If heat is the problem i'd wait till the early fall, the only issue is you have less daylight hours for riding.
Thanks Danny, I agree it's going to be hot anywhere. I am looking at a route straight up I-35 to Salina, over to Topeka then back home, but now realize there's a turnpike involved too. Typically those aren't a problem in my car, but because it's my bike...? I've sent my question to the Kansas Turnpike. My main reason for asking is to see if anyone from the DFW has done the SS and which route did they take.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Thanks Danny, I agree it's going to be hot anywhere. I am looking at a route straight up I-35 to Salina, over to Topeka then back home, but now realize there's a turnpike involved too. Typically those aren't a problem in my car, but because it's my bike...? I've sent my question to the Kansas Turnpike. My main reason for asking is to see if anyone from the DFW has done the SS and which route did they take.
I rode this route for the BBG Fools Gold ride this past April. I didn't have any issues with the turnpike, loss of signal, or anything else.

This is the route I took for a Bun Burner 3,000 Gold. Again, no issues with anything, other than the massive amount of suicidal bugs! :)

Finally, I did this for the last leg of the 12 Ides 1000 Insanity series. Again, no issues at all with anything, though 2 days later, the area was hit with a huge snowstorm, killing 4 people on the interstate.

Two ways to consider your route - not knowing what your original routing was...

(a) Dallas | Monahans | Marshall | Dallas This is an out-and-back, but 'home' is in the middle of it -and- you get the bonus of it being an in-state ride. Now, along I-20, I wouldn't expect loss of signal, but if you're off on some of the FM roads, all bets are off.

(b) Choose your route to take you in some direction you haven't been. BMW RT Pilot has a good, simple loop and that would be a fun ride. I do like riding in the Piney Woods region, but it *does* get damn dark out there at night.

I think I'd also be considering a couple of simple 500 mile days, just to prove to yourself the bike isn't going to leave you stranded along the road again.

Good luck!!
Thanks Ken, original route was straight out I-20. Bike's belt shredded (bolt snapped) at 37.5 miles west of Pecos... middle of nowhere with little signal and lots of heat, 430 miles from start. I might consider that route again as the 100 mile stops made it "easy" up to the point of breakdown. Since the bike has been fixed I've added almost 1,000 miles again in shorter trips. I agree the two 500 mile test trips would be good. Going to spend three days riding up to Amarillo, riding the Palo Duro Canyon and then back home in just a couple of weeks. I love the Piney Woods region too, but in daylight. ;)

Last edited:

Traxx

Premier Member
My first SS1000 was a out and back to Sierra Blanca on I-20/10. Like you said easy, a September/October ride may be the ticket since it will be a little cooler.
I like the idea of a triangle route. Then you’re never more than a few hundred miles from home.
Have you thought about a destination route? Phoenix AZ just so happens to be 1040 miles from DFW. Maybe a loop south to River Road or the Davis Mts.

DarkoDanny

Premier Member
my first saddle sore was for the eclipse event. i went from dallas to Marysville KS. On I-35 just before the kansas border you can peel off to take the back highways that are also scenic and still have plenty of time to make you time. i had to stop and wait one hour for the eclipse and spent one hour to visit my parents and still had 3-4 hours to spare. also if you have a texas toll tag it works in kansas too.

DarkoDanny

Premier Member
MilestonesInTheWind said:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/265...2!1d-96.647242!2d39.8411129!2m1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

My first SS1000 was a out and back to Sierra Blanca on I-20/10. Like you said easy, a September/October ride may be the ticket since it will be a little cooler.
I like the idea of a triangle route. Then you’re never more than a few hundred miles from home.
Have you thought about a destination route? Phoenix AZ just so happens to be 1040 miles from DFW. Maybe a loop south to River Road or the Davis Mts.
Thanks Carl! Yes, Phoenix would be an interesting route, but that is a bit further away from home than I want to end up. My dad lives in Albuquerque and I can ride that 650 miles in 14 hours at a comfortable pace. There are a couple of routes above. Thought about going there and back to Amarillo. I have also considered going straight east on I-20 to Meridian, MS and back too. Thought of going west to Odessa then north to Amarillo and back down 287 although I might need to add some miles on exits just to be sure. ;)

Last edited:
MilestonesInTheWind said:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/265...2!1d-96.647242!2d39.8411129!2m1!2b1!3e0?hl=en
Interesting route! That might work too. Glad you made a visit as part of your trip. My purpose for Salina to Topeka would be to have a good lunch break and meet up with a wind sister from Kansas City. ;)

Not sure what question you had about KS turnpike but they recognize TX and OK transponders if that helps
Thanks Paul, I did find out that info, but the NTTA recommends we don't put the toll tag on our bikes as they get stolen often. My question to the KS Turnpike is do they go off of my license plate or charge me the higher fee for having to look it up on the video. I want a record so if anything happens that isn't quite right, I have a digital trail to follow. ;)

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Not sure about rates if they have to go off your plate so no help there. I have velcro on my Ktag and my tank bag and just stick it out when I need it makes it easy to hide when stopped. Option for paper trail is just stop and grab a ticket when you get on turnpike and stop and pay when you exit, you can get a receipt. Have fun

Not sure about rates if they have to go off your plate so no help there. I have velcro on my Ktag and my tank bag and just stick it out when I need it makes it easy to hide when stopped. Option for paper trail is just stop and grab a ticket when you get on turnpike and stop and pay when you exit, you can get a receipt. Have fun
I appreciate your reply. I was thinking I could bring mine with me and hope it registers on their system. LOL I do hope to hear back from the KTA soon and I'll post it here. ;)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Interesting route! That might work too. Glad you made a visit as part of your trip. My purpose for Salina to Topeka would be to have a good lunch break and meet up with a wind sister from Kansas City. ;)
I've told this story a few times, but... :D

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2015/10/saddlesore-1000-3-2-upoctober-2015.html

TL;DR version: 500-odd miles, 90 minute lunch with son & DIL, then the return home - my wife's first SS1000 as a passenger. She loved it!