Suggestions of Iron Butt Saddle Sore from DFW?

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Thought of going west to Odessa then north to Amarillo and back down 287 although I might need to add some miles on exits just to be sure. ;)
I don't know what the oil drilling/production is like along the 287 route, but if it's anything like what you see out in the Pecos / Monahans / Odessa / Midland areas I would strongly suggest just staying on the Interstates. The secondary roads in those areas can be brutal with truck traffic.

FJ2112

Premier Member
I’ve driven US-287 between Wichita Falls and Amarillo a bunch of times and was never slowed by oilfield infrastructure. The greater risks to time deadline and bank account are small town police with big appetites for issuing traffic citations.

Passing through Claude, Clarendon, Memphis, Estelline and others requires strict adherence to posted speed limits. I agree with Brian Thorn, use the Interstate system. It’s faster plus gas stations are more abundant and better equipped for quick in & outs

Last edited:
Oh, man, I have done some from Flower Mound in heat and cold. A lot of options. Heat wise I wear a multi ventilated jacket, Olympia mesh or Olympia with a lot of vents or KLIM Badlander with a lot of vents. Pants the same. A hydration pack as in Camelbak will make a big difference. I paced my "suck" on the water all the way to El Paso. Only had to pee once and it was clear. I did have to refill then with ice. Also one of those "cool rags" helps.

Plan your fuel stops to the mile marker helps a lot. If you can go 200 miles or more on a tank it is easier however my first Texas SS1000 was on my Honda VTX 1300R with about 130 miles before reserve. I did it again on the VTX but planned better. I went west to Sierra Blanca, the turn around receipt, back to Flower Mound. 1150 miles in about 18 hours. We have it lucky in Texas with wide open spaces and 80 MPH after near Odessa.

Hell, I have on the drawing board a Texas 1500 Gold and a Texas 2000 Gold. Head west young man, head west.

The Texarkana route is a good one too. My last SS1000 was from Flower Mound to West Memphis then back to Flower Mound. Options are limitless. I personally would not go south on I 35. That has been a PIA for 20 years or more. South on I 45, maybe but probably not.

As far as the NTTA they told me to put it on my windshield. They'll have to work to peel it off plus it must must match the license plate number. One of my MCs is on the lowers and the other is on the windshield. Sometimes Kansas will not read them but just call and bitch then they'll knock the fee down to toll tag price. The last three times I have not had a problem. The first time while on the Solar Eclipse Gold 1000 it was not read.

I 35 to I 135 up to Salina then US 81 is a good ride to I 80. No traffic but a little lower speed limits. If you go to towards KC use the toll road to Topeka to I 70 and the loop around KC.

I think it is just a little over 1000 miles to Fargo so loop around KC then up I 29. Or head up to just north of Minneapolis. I have done both of those.

Excluding my first ill planned SS1000, none have take more than 18 or 19 hours. From Flower Mound to Lexington, VA, 1250 miles was 18 hours.

Don't be too edgy. For your first one plan the fuel stops and be sure they are open if you are going to arrive after 2200 hrs. Remember traffic in cities. Take plenty of water and snacks. I don't stop for food until the end. Often I just carry several 12 oz waters in a small ice chest and stop every 2 hours and drink one. More often if really hot. The hydration pack is best in hot west Texas stuff. BUT MOST IMPORTANT: Bail out of the ride if you start feeling bad or tired. Tomorrow or next week or next month or next year or never is better than ending up in the hospital or worse...

I am 70 and will be adding some more rides to my resume. Hopefully a Silver Mile Eater again this year and a Gold Mile Eater.

MilestoneintheWind, I have made MANY SS1K rides from the Dallas area. Some in the heat of summer and others in the dead of winter. If you are looking for some interesting routes, let me know. I have one planned for November that includes the Three Twisted Sisters down near Leakey. I have three In-State BBG routes planned, as well. Don't fret the heat: just keep moving! :)

Just my opinion, but if I lived in Texas I would be doing my SaddleSore within the state and off of interstates. Texas is one of the best states for that having well maintained country roads with high speed limits. If on the interstates I'd avoid Houston and El Paso if at all possible. Houston turned a SaddleSore from easy to almost not doable for me.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>If on the interstates I'd avoid Houston and El Paso if at all possible. Houston turned a SaddleSore from easy to almost not doable for me.
Yet many (including me) have done 50CC coast-to-coast rides thru that little cow-town :p with no (or minimal...) issues to speak of.

Yes, much is luck, but much is also timing.

The same with going thru your community, I'd guess.

CurtCarter

Premier Member
Debbie,

I'veused the attached route on a couple of occasions and it has worked well. Cell service isn't to bad along the interstate and gas is relatively easy to find. I understand you may not want do the ride all in Texas but if you do, thisis a tried and true route.

Note the map shows sevral gas stops (five of which were mandatory for the 2015 Ryder Davis Posse Ride that started/ended at Gruene HD in New Braunfels, TX.

A. Junction TX
B. Love's Travel Stop in Pecos, TX
C. Cisco, TX
D. Love's Travel Stop in Dallas TX
E. Buc'ees in New Braunfels, TX

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Curt Carter

Attachments

Debbie,

I'veused the attached route on a couple of occasions and it has worked well. Cell service isn't to bad along the interstate and gas is relatively easy to find. I understand you may not want do the ride all in Texas but if you do, thisis a tried and true route.

Note the map shows sevral gas stops (five of which were mandatory for the 2015 Ryder Davis Posse Ride that started/ended at Gruene HD in New Braunfels, TX.

A. Junction TX
B. Love's Travel Stop in Pecos, TX
C. Cisco, TX
D. Love's Travel Stop in Dallas TX
E. Buc'ees in New Braunfels, TX

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Curt Carter
Hi Curt! I have been re evaluating my route. Plans have changed as to who is going with me. I appreciate this. How do you manage I-35 between SA and Dallas, though? I avoid it as much as possible. LOL My tank is smaller so I will have to stop more often, but this looks doable except for I-35. LOL

Thanks!

Matt Wise

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Last summer during a multiday ride I had planned I made a few trips from the Dallas area to Belleville Kansas and back. There is a brand new Love's in Belleville and was a perfect turnaround for me. This route isn't sexy, but the roads are good with limited traffic if you time OKC correctly and plenty of fuel options along the way. The tolls are limited to about 20 miles of I-35 south of Wichita.

CurtCarter

Premier Member
Hi Curt! I have been re evaluating my route. Plans have changed as to who is going with me. I appreciate this. How do you manage I-35 between SA and Dallas, though? I avoid it as much as possible. LOL My tank is smaller so I will have to stop more often, but this looks doable except for I-35. LOL

Thanks!
Debbie, you should plan this part of your route so you're riding this stretch as late/early as possible. When I've done this loop from San Antonio, I rode clockwise, so I was coming through Dallas after 10:00 p.m. getting back to San Antonio around 4:00 a.m. If your're doing the ride startingin Dallas, ride counter clockwise and you should be good.

Curt

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Another option in the Keep It Simple variety - LINK

You're never far from service, it's all interstate, no toll roads. Only two corners to document. Bypasses the worst of Memphis. I just rode thru there a couple of days ago, (heading to KS), and it's only mildly busy, no bottle necks. 24 hour gas is easy on interstate routes. If you leave at 4 am you're at the Memphis corner around 2 pm and back in Dallas by 9-10 pm. Heat is less of an issue right now.

The simple truth to LD riding is managing your stopped time. I.E. Stay on the bike. Speed doesn't help you and isn't worth the stress and additional fatigue. I don't know how you have the Street 750 set up. Hopefully some kind of wind screen. That reduces fatigue a lot. You should be able to drink water while moving. (and not from a bottle, from a 1/2 gal or larger source.) Ideally also snack from a bar bag or tank bag too. You want to avoid peaks and valleys in your energy and hydration. If you think about water, you need a drink. Some protein and sugar for snacks, low carbs. Have a sit down lunch when you're ready. You have plenty of time.

3.5 gallons. Do you have a comfortable 150 mile range at highway speeds? Or in other words, what MPG do you normally see?

Edit - Bring the NTTA tag. If you don't leave it on the bike, it won't get stolen. And you won't be leaving the bike sitting for extended periods during the ride anyway. Possibly not acceptable to you, but I drill two holes in the wind screen and run a zip tie thru the holes and around the tag, snug it up and don't worry about it. Makes it slower to grab, which eliminates the random impulse theft. Bonus, I don't have to worry about the tag coming loose when I hit a big bump.