Summer riding in Florida

Thinking about a ride north to NY in Aug/Sept. Leaving from Orlando in Aug or Sept really makes no difference in the temp/humidity. Should arrive in Richmond, VA about the time the worst of the heat is over for the day.

Heat is a huge drain on my stamina and after riding yesterday in 91 degrees I’m going to need a body cooling strategy or I won’t finish the ride inside my goal.

I’m thinking I need to ditch my leather vented jacket as the sleeves aren’t vented and black leather isn’t forgiving in the sun. I don’t think my leather jacket would work well with evaporative cooling.

One idea is an Aerostich Darien (buy once & cry once) with evaporative cooling given the generous venting. Another idea is a water cooled vest with a chest of ice and a circulatory pump.

Any input from riders with these two (or others) strategies that have ridden in high temp/high humidity regions of the country?

many thanks in advance!

Road wearing the Darien Jacket & Pants in 100 degree heat last year through TX, OK, KS, & NB. Proper first layer is a must also. Had a LD Comfort long sleave shirt and long bottoms under the suit. Riding was not bad but gas stops got a little toasty.

-Mark

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I wear either a Roadcrafter two-piece or Roadcrafter one piece with LD Comforts under them. I also use an LD Comfort helmet liner which I alos wet down on the super hot days. I always carry water and it's easy to wet down without having to stop, open sleeves but keep the main zipper closed to limit evaporation but still get cooling in the heat.

Monitoring heat is a serious issue in the summer days, and I know I one rider that went down due to heat stroke many years ago.

Last edited: