Super Tenere Auxiliary fuel cell

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Firstly, remove the bodywork from the left and right sides to access the tank mounts.
2 screws and the tank is free to swing upward - I supported it with a strap to allow quick adjustment of the angle.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x450.

Disconnect the electrical plugs then methodically remove the hex screws from around the retaining ring.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 600x450.

Even with the tank syphoned "dry" fuel will flow once the pump is freed - catch it.

Click this bar to view the full image.

Removing the pump is difficult as the sender unit catches on the tank opening. I disconnected the sender while it was still in the tank.

Once out it can be clicked back together. Refitting it didn't catch on the tank opening.

I found an appropriate flat spot and used a "unibit" to make the hole.

The bulkhead and 90 deg elbow with barb was selected, fuel safe thread sealer used and tightened with a stubby-handled socket through the tank opening.

I fabbed a simple 3mm aluminium plate as a flat platform in place of the pillion seat and rear rack, drilled holes for the existing bolts and mounted up the tank on a simple frame. I can't weld - its all bolted.

On the left side of the JAZ tank there is a bulkhead, 90 degree ball valve and an inline filter.

The right side has an elbow, then a BMW "dry break" quick disconnect, then hose to the bulkhead affixed to the main tank.

It gives an extra 5 US gal or 19 litres, so just under the IBR limit of 11.5 gal and good for well over 600km range.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the post Ox.

Im curious as to why you removed the pump with the tank on the bike?
Every Yamaha pump assembly Ive taken out has been the devil to get out the hole as you know.
I like to sit the tank in my lap to get that pump out.
But always some new thing to learn and Im about to fit my s10 with an Auxtank.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gatey with the tank happily standing up at 90 degrees like that I just pulled the pump out that way rather than fiddle with the fuel injection hose.
I had TigerBill with me as the extra pair of hands in the pics.

The next Super Tenere tank that I drilled was a solo effort and first removed the tank.

I've previously done a couple of FJRs and Blackbirds and couldn't get their tanks raised up high enough. So for each of those I removed the tank, followed by the pump.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Yes your post had me wondering if there might have been some reason unobserved on my part.
I changed into one of those fancy air filter jobs last week and was taking a look at bulkhead fitting locations and remembered this topic and noted that getting a pump out might still be a squeeze.
Thanks for your post mate.