The "100k Club"

Kith

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Andy Andresen is the latest member of the 100K club. He lives 5 miles from me but I didnt officially meet him until we crossed paths in Alaska! He told me to help out doing the mileage he did a 48Plus, 4 corners each time going to the center of the US in Kansas and back to the corner before going to the next and a whole host of other rides during the year. Also he had a transmission and engine failure along the way to add suspense to not falling behind on mileage. I asked him costs but he just said he didnt want to know :)

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Andy Andresen is the latest member of the 100K club. He lives 5 miles from me but I didnt officially meet him until we crossed paths in Alaska! He told me to help out doing the mileage he did a 48Plus, 4 corners each time going to the center of the US in Kansas and back to the corner before going to the next and a whole host of other rides during the year. Also he had a transmission and engine failure along the way to add suspense to not falling behind on mileage. I asked him costs but he just said he didnt want to know :)
Good info! In the past 9 years, I have always avoided basic cert. rides and done specialty rides. I have done the better part of the list of rides for North America,
had a great time doing it too. Now however I find myself limited to weekend rides from January through June. So it has been BBGs and will continue to be BBGs until July. In July I want to attempt the longest month. I want to start out with a Deca attempt (10 BBGs back to back…) Then I will head south to Earth, Texas to attempt
an "Earth to Moon to Earth" … then I still have 2 weeks to plan out.
I do kind of worry about my FJR making it through (I started the year with 125k on the OD already) My '05 FJR made 262k before I parted it out.

Wish I'd known about the "all miles" thing back when I had a 250 mile daily commute.

Anthony - just because the most direct route between home and work is 14 miles doesn't mean you can't stretch it into a 114 miles (each way).

If you can turn your work commute into 50k of two-wheel travel, then it's a snap to do the other 50k on weekends.

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My "Summer Solstice BBG" happened yesterday.
It was my 32nd BBG this year and my last one before departing on my "Longest Month" attempt.
It was in no way my usual BBG. I left work and went immediately to the gas station and started my ride
a little after 3;30 pm. It was HOT, but Macclenny, FL , my first gas stop, had me arriving at my usual 4 hours.
312 miles. I bought some water and came out of the station to see the dreaded bright white patches on my front tire.
I had thought about swapping it out Thursday night before the ride, but I thought it had a BBG left on it. Big Mistake…
I called my friend Jim (fljab) from the station… no answer. I turned around and headed back to Central Florida.
I stopped in route and called him again. He was home, had a new PR2 front, and readied his garage.
To make a long story short, I got to see his new '18, we got the front tire swapped out in an hour and I hit the
station near his house for another receipt. I was well behind schedule, but was able to pull off the BBG. I had 39
minutes to spare. Thanks to Jim, the ride was completed !

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I will be riding up to Sioux Falls, SD on the 29th of June. I will be pulling a trailer and attempting a BBG in route.
Schedule looks like this:
July 1st - July 11th - Deca Attempt
July 12th - 13th - Tire swap/oil change and perhaps 2 BBGs
July 14th - 15th - BBG to Muleshoe, TX
July 16th - 18th - "Earth to Moon to Earth" ride attempt
July 19th - 20th - BBG to Redding, CA and ride to Fortuna, CA
July 21st- 24th - "Cape to Cape" ride
July 25th -26th - BBG to Iowa
July 27th - Tire and Oil changes
July 28 - July 31st - Hopefully 3 Local BBGs