The "100k Club"

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am in North Platte, NE with my front wheel bearing in need of replacement. Looking desperately for help. I have 25k+ miles done and i am 23 days in. Hate to lose this ride.

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Did you end up obtaining the necessary bearing, Tony? What mileage are you up to now?
I ended up replacing the axel, sleeve, bearings, the outer seal and even the spacer. Lost 2 days, but made it up with 4 BBGs in the last 5 days. My "Longest month totals
on the GPS were 32,556.6 miles. Then I rode a BB 1500 home with a flat tire on the trailer and a overheating FJR. That should have put me roughly at 84k.
My FJR has been overheating ever since, so no cert. rides have been done in a month. I hate to lose this ride this close…
I am sure I will find a way.

I ended up replacing the axel, sleeve, bearings, the outer seal and even the spacer. Lost 2 days, but made it up with 4 BBGs in the last 5 days. My "Longest month totals
on the GPS were 32,556.6 miles. Then I rode a BB 1500 home with a flat tire on the trailer and a overheating FJR. That should have put me roughly at 84k.
My FJR has been overheating ever since, so no cert. rides have been done in a month. I hate to lose this ride this close…
I am sure I will find a way.
Great effort, nice to hear you're still chipping away at it, mate.

Any idea what the cause of the over heating is yet? Hope it's not a too difficult fix..

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It is the total miles ridden in a year, not just those completed within an IBA certificate ride.

The ride's rules page doesn't provide much information, but what you would need to do is maintain a log and every receipt related to the years' riding - not ony gas receipts, but those for tires, tuneups, maintenance, etc. Remember - it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so. You can certainly submit for other IBA certificate rides within that year-long ride.

Some examples of the reasons why some have completed the ride, I think it was Phil Mann who racked up 113,000 miles in six months when he held a job transporting motorcycle parts between Chicago and the West Coast (he won the BMW MOA mileage contest that year. I'm not sure if that record has ever been broken). Joe Mandeville rode 103,000 miles in six month while training for the Iron Butt Rally. And I think Bob Higdon made the club when he was collecting courthouses. The point is that there are lots of ways to get it done for those who really, really want it. And you really, really have to want it. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
The 100k can be completed on multiple bikes, right?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Right, although the documentation necessarily becomes a bit heavier.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Anthony Osborne , December already! How are the rides going?
I really don't like to assume anything and I am awaiting certification on many certs. I can say that I have completed 66 BBGs so far this year and only have one more cert. ride planned for the rest of the year. On December 21st, I will attempt my 67th BBG (Winter Solstice BBG) which will complete my 4 seasons ride. I will post up as the certifications arrive.

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
July Totals:
Straight Six BBG Gold (6 consecutive BBGs)
BB Silver
BBG Trifecta
Earth To Moon
Cape To Cape
16 Total BBGs
All done in the context of "The Longest Month"
Miles 32,557

Year To Date:
49 BBGs 83,032 Miles

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
August Numbers:
1 BB (A failed BBG with a flat tire on the trailer and bike overheating)
1562 Miles
Lost all of month due to 2008 FJR being down.

Year To Date:
49 BBGs 84,594 Miles