The Black Stump Way (A SS1600)

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A new year and it’s time to get the first saddle sore ridden. IBR23 is only 18months away!

Saturday 8 January, I collected my starting receipt at the local ATM and pointed the bike northwards towards Sydney. Light showers kept me company as I rolled along in the darkness.

Start Docket - early o'clock.

Through Sydney and onto Newcastle. Stopped at Beresfield to top up the aux tank and have a coffee. The light showers continued as the dawn struggled to break through the clouds.

Beresfield for the first stop of the day and top up the aux tank - its supposed to be sunrise but the showers keep on coming

At Thrumster the sun came out along with the humidity. Yuck! Collected my corner docket and then headed west up the Oxley. A good time to chill and let the bike flow uphill, the big 6 cylinder making effortless work of the hill.

Wauchope clock tower - suns out!

About halfway up the dash lit up with warning lights – the front tyre had no air in it – well that’s what the dash said – feedback from the bike said otherwise. I stopped to check the tyre, thank goodness nothing there at all, looked like a failed TPM sensor. Sure enough for the rest of the trip it worked intermittently.

Taking a moment on the Oxley Highway

Stopped for a quick bite to eat at Walcha and shed a layer in anticipation of the rising temps. West towards Tamworth, tuned into ABC sports to listen to the Ashes cricket. No traffic and just enjoy the country roads, awesome. Pillion Piglet called and we spent a few minutes chatting and making plans for Sunday the week ahead. On through to Gunnedah, the temps were now nudging low 30’s and the humidity was high. Its summer alright! The countryside was looking lush and green with the paddocks full of waist high grass.

Welcome to Gunnedah!

Fueled up in Gunnedah and as I was riding out of town Drain phoned, and we spent a few minutes talking bikes (as you do) as I head for Mullaly and the Black Stump Way. At Mullaly I turned south and cruised down to Coolah and Dunedoo.

The Black Stump Way - just south of Mullaly heading for Coolah.

Stopped at Dunedoo to cool off and have a few minutes off the bike. The road from Dunedoo to Wellington was a real shocker, so much rain damage. I was glad to get off that road and back onto the Mitchell Highway heading for Canowindra and Cowra. Last fuel stop at Cowra, took a few minutes to have a sandwich from the servo.

Time to get some time off the bike and rehydrate

Onwards to Boorowa, Yass and Canberra. About this time Usman Khawaja scored his 2nd century! It was a real pleasure to be cruising through the rolling countryside listening to the cricket.

You're welcome

I stopped for a moment to listen to Usman score his 2nd century of the match - outstanding!

I rolled into the ACT right on sunset and some relief from the heat. The temperatures dropped down to low 20’s.

Sunset and finally some cooler temperatures.

Overall a good ride, this was my first saddle sore in 7 months and I felt reasonably OK. I've got some work to do about tightening up the time on my fuel stops, plus sorting out my nutrition strategy, but otherwise i felt close to being back to ride fitness.

1,640 kms in 18.5 hrs

One of my fav SS routes - you can't wrong with a route that includes the Oxley Highway

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Excellent effort Martin. Just think, with those 'runs on the board" it is quite possible Usman would have been impressed with your great effort on the day!. Always a quality report and photos from you. Well done on all respects.
Thanks Tele, I always feel its an absolute luxury to spend hours riding while listening to cricket, and this Ashes innings was something extra special