The Dam Hard To Say Roundup - OCTOBER 27/28 - 30 Hours - Taree NSW

Well we have had a really successful and fun Dam Hard To Say Roundup.
I think it was a challenging but enjoyable 30 hour Roundup, for both the riders and the organisers.
We had 8 IBR veterans at the start of the Roundup, with 4 actually riding in it, with an Iron Butt Light Veteran as well.
Here are the list of the results.

Congratulations to the Winners of our Roundup, Martin and Rebecca Little! It’s so great that a two up combination won.

Roundup Results

1st Place - Martin and Rebecca Little - 57078
2nd Place - Scott McPherson - 54843
3rd Place - Ed Brown - 52225
4th Place - Phillip Morrison - 49023
5th Place - Jeff Gebler - 48794
6th Place - Derrick Sutton - 46388
7th Place - Ian McPhee -45112
8th Place- Lyn and Michael Morris - 38955
9th Place- Olaf Moon - 32639

Well done on everyone reaching finished status.
Thankyou To Tiger Bill and OX34 for assisting me - your help was really appreciated.

Till next time
Lady Cuddles

Tele

Premier Member
A fantastic weekend for all involved (again, with the exception of Crappy's news). Sincere congratulations to those who participated. Another excellent training run for the dynamic duo Martin and Rebecca :eek::eek:.

Lady Cuddles ... another outstanding effort for you and your team. So very sorry I could not be part of the fun and adventure.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
To Annette, Shane, Peter and Bill - thank you so much! I know how much it takes to put this type of event on, let alone get every fine detail right. For the riders, it was great to see you all again, and to settle some remaining names in my mind. Especially to Crappy and Bron - thanks for the very timely coke and a chat while I was not in a good state! Apologies to all if I was not in a good state of mind - I had determined to go to Queensland despite the best routing options, just for a good ride (and how beautiful it was, even at Capalaba and around the Glass-House Mountains, then to ride the full length of the Ox to come home). Perfect. But next time I will attend with my rally hat on, but this time a blown rocker cover in Newcastle on the way up from Canberra did not put me in the right state to compete with concentration.

And finally to Martin and Bec - what a fantastic effort. I am still trying to work out how you get 57,000 points with the book in front of me! (I could see 48,500 without too much of a problem and the start, but only if I rode perfectly. I have called you! Rebecca, well done in learning the trade so well, I hope it goes brilliantly at the IBR next year. Same for Jeff - and is Phill riding too? You two have no idea what you have let yourselves in for - other than to say, that for most of us it was a life-changing experience!

Attachments

IBA-Tiger

TableDrain: Rather than using a 'used' dishcloth for a Rally Flag, you can order one - with your Own IBA number (3-digit in your case) - from the Shop attached to the IBA Australia website! Sorry, only white, but it will look good on & with your 'new' Rally Bike!

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you all for so much.

Annette, Bill, Ox and Shane for putting in endless hours of preparation for and then hosting the Rally. Our fellow riders who joined in and sweated the hard yards, and shared the camaraderie of the long distance rider as we all did our darnedest to solve the puzzle.

And many many thanks to my pillion, who suffered immensely along the way with my repeated musing "this is great practice for the IBR honey" and never ending optimism that everything was great.

A more detailed ride report will follow, but suffice to say we had our share of luck a few times, an off in deep sand on some farm trail near Eugowra & a BMW moment when the engine went into fault mode on the Newell Highway on dusk....if in doubt turn it off and back on again and pray. And pray we did!

Thanks again everybody! Looking forward to next time, but in the meantime we have an IBR to prep for.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you all for so much.

Annette, Bill, Ox and Shane for putting in endless hours of preparation for and then hosting the Rally. Our fellow riders who joined in and sweated the hard yards, and shared the camaraderie of the long distance rider as we all did our darnedest to solve the puzzle.

And many many thanks to my pillion, who suffered immensely along the way with my repeated musing "this is great practice for the IBR honey" and never ending optimism that everything was great.

A more detailed ride report will follow, but suffice to say we had our share of luck a few times, an off in deep sand on some farm trail near Eugowra & a BMW moment when the engine went into fault mode on the Newell Highway on dusk....if in doubt turn it off and back on again and pray. And pray we did!

Thanks again everybody! Looking forward to next time, but in the meantime we have an IBR to prep for.

I third and fourth all the thanks above to our Roundup MobMasters for their efforts! I can only imagine how much has to happen behind the scenes for us to be able to ride and I'm very grateful!
Thanks also to the other riders who have welcomed me to the fold and kindly shared their experiences with me at the end of the rally! Shane is right - I think it must be like giving birth. Immediately afterwards you think it was the worst thing in the world and you're never doing it again... but then a few weeks later it all seems like such fun and you sign up to do it all over again. I suppose like the mad hatter's tea party, 'we're all a bit mad here' - but it's a load of fun sharing the madness with such a lovely bunch of people!

Finally, thank you to my ever-optimistic chauffeur who invites me to share the adventures and doesn't mind trusting the directions of his woman... even when they lead to the aforementioned 'off' in deep sand on some farm trail! :oops: I'm sure it is good practice for the IBR... but I'm not sure that's a good thing! :)

Vlad

Premier Member
Well that was a blast, great weekend.
Congratulations to Martin and Bec ,great ride and well played.
Annette and Bill thanks for the great effort you guys put in so that we can all drive ourselves nuts.
Thanks Ox and Shane for the great support and for your patience.
And to all the riders, it was a privilege to play the game with you, see you all next time.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I made it back home at 21:00 today. After a few beverages last night the longer more scenic ride plan was put aside for the more direct 1660 km version.

Thank you Annette and Bill for all the time and effort that went into the planning of this rally. It is greatly appreciated. I have come away from this weekend with so much more knowledge that is going to assist me in June.

Congratulations Martin and Bec, it was good to share a few bonus locations with the two of you and to observe how well the two of you work together.

Hope to be able to see the video of Tabledrain again.

Thanks again and am already looking forward to seeing what Annette comes up with next year.

Fatman

LTP and I arrived home last night around 9am after following Philmor for the most part back to Melbourne.

A big thanks to Annette and Shane, Bill and Ox for putting a fun event. We plotted this one differently this time and it was miles less stressful than before.

Congratulations to Kiwi Martin and Rebecca what a great effort putting together and riding the winning route, great to see a 2 up couple win! Well done guys good luck at the IBR in the US.

Thanks to all the competitors for making this a really fun weekend with the banter and support everyone showed to each other. And everyone arrived back safely.

Sorry to hear of Crappy's crash on the way to the start but glad he's ok.

Finally a big thanks to Lynne the Pillion, I think we had less arguments than any other Rally we have done, so that made for a fun time.:cool:

Until next time..

Rally organisers like to brag that they will muck with your head. You guys certainly hit the nail on the head this time, with success. The other good thing though is that everybody is in the same boat, so to hear the stories of where people went and how everyone dealt with the coords was interesting and entertaining.
So to prevent a repeat for the next rally, I selflessly volunteer to ride to every waypoint the week before the next rally I compete in.
A big congratulations to all the riders, especially Team Piwi, this bodes well for the IBR.
See you all at the next one.
td

Derrick

IBR Finisher
Just want to re-iterate what every said above wrt thanking the Rallymasters and assistants, the cameraderie among the Participants, the inaweness (yes I appear to have made that word up) of the placegetters, the positive result for Crappy in his adventure etc etc.

I woke @ 430am Monday, and still being awake at 450am I thought it best to get a move on. Freeway drone to the Derrick VC Rest Area just south of Sutton Forrest (Can you believe those things are only 41 kms apart!) for a powernap. (When I get around to organising a rally they will feature!)

Replan saw me divert via Harden, Cootamundra, Wagga before completely losing momentum by dropping into Burrombuttock Pub for a beer. Then realised i was <20kms from a 2nd cousin's (who rides and I'd only just met about a month ago) place in Ettamogah, and he was home so there went another hour or so.

In essence if I'd come straight through from Taree I c/would've been home about 5pm. Butt, if I'd come straight through I would've been caught in the mess after an excavator tried (and lost) to take on an overpass through Albury, shutting the freeway for a while before diversions were in place.

As it was, I had a truckie (One of Thompsons from Castlemaine) take a dislike with the Erica's on low (by turning on his rear facing light as I came past, then SWERVING into my lane after I'd gone past with his (ironically;);)) rather pathetic full beam / driving light combo! This, after I'd turned the Erica's off (and it wasn't like I was hanging out as I passed him either). I passed the truck in front and turned em back on - they're aimed a little low if anything and I've other truckies say they're no problem but there's always one..

I had trouble getting a bite on the way into Melbourne (Wallan KFC closed, didn't feel like Macca;s, HJ's in Kal Kallo mopping floors even though lights on freeway implying they were open) so I took the Craigieburn exit to the HJ's on Mahoney's road. (Thinking about this now I should have just stayed on the bypass and taken the Sydney road exit, but i digress), Dining room with people, doors open, I go to order and the 17 yr server informs me that the dining room is closed but I can go through the drive through.....:(:(:(:(

Head in hands I drop my elbows to the counter like I'd just been informed of nm unexpected death. Server takes one look and she says "I'll make an exception this time" ;););) They did manage to put pickles in my meat and cheese only burger, but since a) she'd served me via exception , b) they'd closed the doors behind me and c) I really couldn't bother suiting up and trying to exp[lain all that to the drive thru server so I just removed them and fed the seagulls. Home @ 1130pm

I think my favourite part of the weekend was the BS'ing in the parking lot Sunday arvo and dinner Sunday night. ;);):cool::cool:

Before I forget, I also had a coke at the pub in Harden. There's a fella there who has a face helmet and a leather jacket for sale. He's sold his bikes and now gets around on an invalid scooter. Judging by his age, the condition of the scooter and the fact he was surprised Triumph were back in business I think its safe to say both the helmet and jacket would fit in the classic category, but I did say I'd pass it on. There's a sign on the wall of the pub if you need his number! (NB. I didn't check if it was an XL Arai Corsair V in Mick Doohan livery....)

Derrick