The Future

freebird914

Premier Member
I read about the Iron Butt many years ago. I always wanted to do one. I finally was able to complete my run. Waiting for it to be accepted and registered. Thoughts and lessons I learned for anyone who is thinking about it.
1. Don't over think it- I should have done this years ago. I tend to overthink everything.
2. Sunblock is your friend, I started in Texas and between the Sun and wind it will burn you if you do not think ahead.
3. Jacket or long sleeves I learned this more on a Cross Country run years ago. I use a Summer jacket. Its a mesh style jacket. Yes it can be warm when your not moving but it is cool while riding. On my return trip to Texas I was hot, I rode without jacket for a hour. My arms were red in that short time. I put the jacket back on.
4. GPS (phone) for some reason my GPS was drunk I was riding a route I have for several years the last part was in the mountains of North Carolina. I thought I knew my route I had not been in three years ... I was amazed at the growth ... So I turned to my phone GPS and it created a route. If I had a paper map it would have been easier for me to locate my route again.
5. Drink water ... I have a cup holder and every stop I kept sipping.
6. I over planned my route. My plans went out the window at my first gas stop. My neighborhood gas station shuts down but leaves the pumps on. The printer was out of paper. So I had to search for a open gas station.
7. Take into consideration gas stops I need gas every 3 gallons. So that adds time. My trip was a run that was over the 1000 miles. The time added more then what google will figure.
8. I started in the middle of the night. It was a nice wake up but I was heading East so I watched the sunrise and it reduces vision. Same fro evening riding into sunset.
9. Battery when was the last time you replaced your battery ? mine did not let me down but when I check it it was four years old. I replaced just to be on safe side. Yes I use a tender , But I normally replace every two years ...

Biggest thing I learned... Pulling in from the trip I was already thinking about the next trip.

Be Safe
Plan
But most of all enjoy...

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
2. Sunblock is your friend, I started in Texas and between the Sun and wind it will burn you if you do not think ahead.

3. Jacket or long sleeves I learned this more on a Cross Country run years ago. I use a Summer jacket. Its a mesh style jacket. Yes it can be warm when your not moving but it is cool while riding. On my return trip to Texas I was hot, I rode without jacket for a hour. My arms were red in that short time. I put the jacket back on.
It may be your choice of sub-forum, or it may be that everyone else was out riding all day today. Either way, I am surprised you have not received any comments on this yet...

With regard to long distance riding in the heat and sun, mesh is NOT your friend. Especially in elevated temperatures. While you may feel cooler while moving, what is actually happening is that you are being dehydrated. True weather protection (and in this case "sunshine" is weather) involves total coverage of the skin with a solid closed fabric. Cooling can be accomplished "swamp cooler" style with the right choice in undergarments. A popular product is LDComforts

Any doubts? Go to (or watch videos of) the start of any Iron Butt Rally and see what those riders are wearing for outer garments.

Before you venture out on any more long distance rides in hot temperatures, I highly recommend you read this article.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

freebird914

Premier Member
It may be your choice of sub-forum, or it may be that everyone else was out riding all day today. Either way, I am surprised you have not received any comments on this yet...

With regard to long distance riding in the heat and sun, mesh is NOT your friend. Especially in elevated temperatures. While you may feel cooler while moving, what is actually happening is that you are being dehydrated. True weather protection (and in this case "sunshine" is weather) involves total coverage of the skin with a solid closed fabric. Cooling can be accomplished "swamp cooler" style with the right choice in undergarments. A popular product is LDComforts

Any doubts? Go to (or watch videos of) the start of any Iron Butt Rally and see what those riders are wearing for outer garments.

Before you venture out on any more long distance rides in hot temperatures, I highly recommend you read this article.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
Thank you for the information ... never to old to learn

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@freebird914 - Glad you had a successful ride. I hope it gets certified smoothly and that you enjoy many more LD rides.

I do agree with some of your points! :) You're spot on with don't overthink it. Just plan the basic ride idea out and go. It really helps for people new to long distance riding read the Archives Of Wisdom, a.k.a IBA 25 Long-Distance Riding Tips

Sunblock is your friend. Many riders forget to put some on their nose and face. Not all visors block UV rays and some helmet choices expose more skin than others.

LD riders quickly learn that exposed skin is not a good idea for long distance riding. We have an acronym of ATGATT that stands for All The Gear, All The Time. This means head to toe coverage in armored riding gear. As you noted, exposed skin quickly is impacted by sun and wind. A casual afternoon ride does not have the same protection needs as a 1000+ mile ride for some riders. However, most in this group will ride with all the gear for both.

For some riders it helps to have the phone or gps with a route or the next point along the planned route in, as you indicated, and I like paper maps for "the big view" and a back up as well. Another simple idea is just a piece of paper with your basic route on it. It might be as simple as:

I-20W (427 Mi), Cont. I-10W (36 Mi), X107 (Chevron Sierra Blanca turn around point)

Or it may cover the exit numbers or turns on your route, sometimes with visual clues like "turn Right just past Big Mike's Farm Store" This can be placed in a zip lock baggie and taped to the tank or windscreen with painters tape if no tank bag is used. Write big enough to see at speed! Sharpie if need be. Us clues and abbreviations that make sense to you.

Drink water! But, try to set yourself up to be able to drink water while riding. Many small sips works better to keep you hydrated than larger drinks at stops. When we get dehydrated, our brains slow down and we make mistakes. And it's almost impossible to dig out of the dehydration hole/deficit once we have fallen in. And don't forget some electrolytes now and then when it's hot. Too much water can be dangerous as well, flushing salts and minerals out of your body with your sweat. Most won't ever get to that extreme level during a SS or BB type ride, but it can happen. Some Gatorade or similar a couple of times during the day at a stop is a good thing.

I suggest that people pre-test the gas station they plan to start at before they do their ride. Find out if the pump has paper, the receipt has all the info on it and what the hours of the station are. While most stations leave the pumps on when they are closed, it's often worth it to start and finish at a station that is open 24 hours, just in case you do need to go inside for a receipt. Those two receipts are more important than the ones in the middle.

Depending on your route, it may be worth while to plan all of your gas stops. I have called all the stations and asked about their hours, if the pumps are on when they are closed and if the pumps have paper in them. The answer to the last question is not reliable, but you can try! For an important corner receipt and end receipt, know where the closest back up receipt location is. An ATM often is a good receipt. Something open 24 hours. Your receipts can be for anything, they don't have to be a gas receipt, as long as it's a computer generated receipt with the required info on it. One of my riding partners used a liquor store receipt at the end of their ride. :D

If you're doing a long leg to start, try to avoid riding into the East in the morning and into the West in the evening. You're not the first to do that, but it's worth repeating. On helmets with visors, a strip of electrical tape at the very top of the visor can give you just enough relief that you can tilt your head down and not be blinded, but still see the road ahead. I carry a roll for that purpose just as part of my general riding gear.

Another tip is don't wait when you're uncomfortable. Sure, you just stopped for gas, but now you need your sunglasses or are cold, need to pee, etc. Pull off and take care of it, don't try and wait for your next gas stop or planned stop. Little irritations become big body and mind stressors quickly and can impact you more than you realize. This can really add to your fatigue. Like forgetting to put ear plugs in at a stop. Riding for two or three hours or more w/o earplugs at highway speeds will significantly impact your fatigue level. And fatigue is cumulative. All the little things add up the longer you ride.

Thanks for sharing and best wishes on your next IBA ride. Keep having FUN.

freebird914

Premier Member
Thank you all I identified a few issues I will address, including clothing being Clydesdale size name brands maybe a issue. The best and worst part of pulling into home is the relief of being home and then the questions where to next. Thanks

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Remember that we don't know what you know. Sometimes we'll tell you things that you already know. Not because we think you don't know, but to make sure, just in case. Thank you for posting about your ride so others can learn and have fun doing their first IBA ride and second, third, ect.

As far as Clydesdale, me too brother. www.motorcyclecloseouts.com is your friend.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats on your ride!

We all learn something from others no matter how many times we've tossed a leg over the seat - I know I do. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Just curious, what bike were you riding?