The Highway 191 Extravaganza / 3 IBA Rides

Rollin'

Premier Member
I had a week of vacation so I thought I would try the 3 planned Iron Butt rides.

Ride 1 was point 1 to point 4 on the map, 1731 miles in less than 30 hours. The IBA BB1500 Silver.

Ride 2 started in Douglas, AZ and continued north 1063 miles in less than 24 hours to Pinedale, WY, point 5 to 14. All done on Highway 191 including some of the crookedest roads in the country including the Coronado Trail (666) (460+ curves) and the Flaming Gorge area in northern Utah. Over 1000 miles were done on two lane roads. The IBA SS1000.

Ride 3 was point 17 to 18, 1084 miles in less than 24 hours, the ride home. The IBA SS1000.

I also spent some time in Jackson, WY, the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone N.P. Temps on the Highway 191 ride ranged from 105 to 41 degrees. Steady rain for the last 200 miles on the way home! Full trip was 4358 miles. It was a 7 day trip and I only needed 3 motels, I do save a lot on motels!

1267 photos taken!

Finished the trip last Friday morning at about 4:00 am. Had a fun, busy and very scenic 7 days.

Started working on the IBA paperwork.

The goal for ride 1 was 1500+ miles in less than 30 hours, completed 1731 miles with 4 minutes to spare.
Trip 2 was the All Highway 191 ride.
Trip 3 was the ride home.

Times are based on receipt time and all were changed to central time to show the actual ride time.

Riding to Douglas.

At the start of the Highway 191 ride in Douglas, AZ. Turn left and you're going to Mexico.

The Coronado Trail (666) 460+ curves in a hundred miles, part of Highway 191.

Leaving Moab, UT.

The northern part of Highway 191 was DARK, stars all the way to the ground! The curves in the Flaming Gorge area were very challenging in the dark.

In Yellowstone N.P.

Next... the Spot Tracker, sleeping on a bench and Highway 14 in Wyoming ..............................

Last edited:

Rollin'

Premier Member
True to form Rollin - awesome ride and pictures. Did you switch/add bikes? I thought you were on a Victory for previous rides?
Thanks Scott!!
I traded the Vision for the Honda CTX in October of 2015. I have completed 6 IBA rides on the CTX and it has been working well.

Rollin'

Premier Member
During the 30 hour ride I needed to take a break near Albuquerque, NM. Stopped at a wayside and noticed a bench that would be perfect for a quick nap.
It had a roof and sides to block the wind. I laid on the bench and fell asleep and so did my Spot Tracker. I was wearing the Spot Tracker on an armband and the roof blocked the signal so the tracking shut down.
I use the Spot Tracker to help prove the ride, the Spot Tracker shows when and where I was.

I'm not sure how long I slept but it was enough to continue the ride to Douglas, AZ. I rode for a while before I realized that Spot had shut down.

The Spot Tracker map and my nap location in New Mexico.

The Spot Tracker link - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=14924592f7c51d8c38

The Spot Tracker Highway 191 route.

Spot Tracker full route -

At the start in Douglas, AZ. Central time.

Last edited:

Rollin'

Premier Member
Highway 14 in Wyoming was also a fun and very scenic road.

There were also more deer along Highway 14 than I had ever seen on any stretch of road. 8:30 pm must be feeding time!
They really weren't a problem, they were already in the road or they stayed on the side of the road, none of them ran across the road.

Stayed in Ranchester, WY, this would be the start location for IBA ride #3. I don't spend a lot on motels!

Next .... the ride home.

Last edited:

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Nice, HWY191 goes almost entirely North-South from Canada to Mexico but is "cut" in Wyoming at the National Park. I already stole your 191-1000 idea. You should ask Mr. K to get a specific name for this, it's just too cool not to name it.

Rollin'

Premier Member
Nice, HWY191 goes almost entirely North-South from Canada to Mexico but is "cut" in Wyoming at the National Park. I already stole your 191-1000 idea. You should ask Mr. K to get a specific name for this, it's just too cool not to name it.
I've just been calling it "The Highway 191 1000". My self-imposed rules for this ride were -
1 -Start on Highway 191 as close to the Mexico border as possible.
2 - All of the miles ridden must be on Highway 191.
3 - Ride at least 1000 miles on two lane road. There are 4 spots where Highway 191 joins the interstate for a total of 58 miles so the ride needs to be at least 1058 miles.
4 - Try to not stop so much to take pictures! ;)

I had thought about riding to Canada but I wanted to spend some time in Yellowstone and I needed to get back home.

These are the way-points that I added to my GPS to keep me on track, Highway 191 is well marked but it would still be possible to miss a sign.

Last edited:
Right - another I added to the list as well. At this rate - I will need to take a year off from work just to catch-up on my ride list.

Rollin'

Premier Member
On theses 3 rides I also took a picture of each receipt with the bike odometer. Helps to verify the rides and helps to determine time zones later. The clock on the bike stayed on central time.

The start of IBA ride 3.

The ride home went well except for the last 300 miles. It got wet!
Per the GPS I had another 333 miles to go to get home. I checked the weather radar and I could see rain ahead so I took some time at this stop to put the rain gear on.
I also had a chance to watch another sunset.

Had on and off rain for 100 miles and then steady rain for the last 200 miles, ended in a thunder storm with a lot of lightning. Riding at night, rain and construction lowered the speed for the end of the ride.
Back home again!

The last receipt, the end of the ride. Time to start planning the next one.

BMWguy

IBA Member
What a great report. The pictures are just incredible!! (You must have some quality photography gear - much better than my 6 meg Olympus - LOL!)
Always a good idea to review the weather report anytime you've stopped.

Thanks for sharing your story and photographs!

Mike

Rollin'

Premier Member
What a great report. The pictures are just incredible!! (You must have some quality photography gear - much better than my 6 meg Olympus - LOL!)
Always a good idea to review the weather report anytime you've stopped.

Thanks for sharing your story and photographs!

Mike
Thanks Mike!!
I started to plan this ride 3 years ago, I'm glad I finally tried it!! It was a fun ride!
The camera is a small point and shoot. I have it on a long lanyard that I wear around my neck. I have it with me all of the time.
I also added a pocket to the front my jacket to hold and protect the camera. I do take a lot of pictures while riding but I can and do drop the camera if needed.
The camera is a Canon SX710HS - 20.3 meg, I have been very happy with the photos.

Last edited:

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Last year a couple friends and I rode to Laughlin from central Texas. I used to live in PHX and was stationed in Fort Huachuca for a few years while in the Army. So our first stop was Tombstone, then on the PHX for a few days. Linked up with my dad and sister and rode back down to Safford and up 191 to Springerville. That section of 191 is a great ride, then to ride with friends and family made it that much better. I enjoyed reading your post and looking at all the pics.