The Lowly Burgman 650

Donald A Jones

Premier Member
IBA Member
The 2004 Burgman 650 I purchased in August is in some ways going back to the 1978 GL1000, no ABS, no Cruise control, a double swing arm with two rear shocks and an axle going through both sides of the swing arms to mount the rear wheel on. At least the stator has enough amps to keep the battery charged, I hope!

I have mounted the Happy Trails aluminum panniers from the GL1000 on GIVI side case frames with some minor modifications. The Goldwing pannier bags I purchased for the GL1800 fit real nice in the Happy Trails, more then I could say for the screwed up side cases on the GL1800. The Universal Throttle Lock I used on the GL1000 dropped right in place on the Burgman, atleast I can take use my right hand to scratch my nose now. Has nothing to do with the Goldwings but I dug out the MixIt-2, I use it on the GL1000, to amplify the WAZE audio into earbuds, apps won't connect to the Bluetooth of the cell phone. The new pair of Hippo-Hands I got for the GL1800 to replace the heavily modified ones I used on the GL1000, they just didn't fit the GL1800 with switch boxes etc. on the GL1800 hydraulic reservoirs. The Burgman does not have heated grips and the bar end weight were robbed, I got time for these farkles.

Extra lights and more terminals to connect electrical farkles to will be done as the weather gets real crappy, not that I'm riding that much now due to cold temps, wind, and rain.

But you say the Burgman only has a 4-gallon fuel tank with the warning light starting to flash after 3-gallons and around 130 miles. When I first got the LD bug I acquired a 2-1/2 gallon steel tank, and connecting it via gravity on the GL1000 was a piece of cake, ran the 1/4" hose to a tee at the fuel pump inlet. I closed the petcock, remember them, on the stock tank then ran the aux tank empty them open the petcock. I later installed a 6-gallon Tour Tank for rally use including the 2007 IBR. When I got the GL1800 I used the steel tank mounted on a cargo rack installed on the vertical trailer hitch, to engineering the system that required an electric fuel pump. After I got the custom tail dragger fuel tank I put the steel tank in the shed and sold the Tour Tank to someone in the 2013 IBR. Kinda wish I still had it now, except for the weight.
So I installed the steel tank on the passenger portion on the saddle, I don't ride two up anyway. It is removable in about 3-minutes or I can just disconnect the fuel outlet hose and one of two straps used and lift the seat as normal, I just need to brace it up. I have been looking at plastic fuel cells from Summit and Jegs, looks like 5-gallons will be it, no plastic 6-gallons nor 7-gallons made. 8-gallons will fit maybe but then I'm over the 11.5 gallon limit. The Burgman fuel filler cap is behind the left pannier, I'm working on a system where I can fill both tanks from just the aux filler neck.

Anyway, I have one rally on the other side of the country next year to have it ready for and crossing my fingers for 2019.

Have Fun!

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Love winter projects. Unfortunately, I haven't had time for any yet as the weather stubbornly wants to remain beautiful, requiring me to keep riding. :) Temps tomorrow and for Thanksgiving are expected to be low 90's. Good luck with the Burgman - sounds fun!

WaterBuffalo

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 2004 Burgman 650 I purchased in August is in some ways going back to the 1978 GL1000, no ABS, no Cruise control, a double swing arm with two rear shocks and an axle going through both sides of the swing arms to mount the rear wheel on. At least the stator has enough amps to keep the battery charged, I hope!

I have mounted the Happy Trails aluminum panniers from the GL1000 on GIVI side case frames with some minor modifications. The Goldwing pannier bags I purchased for the GL1800 fit real nice in the Happy Trails, more then I could say for the screwed up side cases on the GL1800. The Universal Throttle Lock I used on the GL1000 dropped right in place on the Burgman, atleast I can take use my right hand to scratch my nose now. Has nothing to do with the Goldwings but I dug out the MixIt-2, I use it on the GL1000, to amplify the WAZE audio into earbuds, apps won't connect to the Bluetooth of the cell phone. The new pair of Hippo-Hands I got for the GL1800 to replace the heavily modified ones I used on the GL1000, they just didn't fit the GL1800 with switch boxes etc. on the GL1800 hydraulic reservoirs. The Burgman does not have heated grips and the bar end weight were robbed, I got time for these farkles.

Extra lights and more terminals to connect electrical farkles to will be done as the weather gets real crappy, not that I'm riding that much now due to cold temps, wind, and rain.

But you say the Burgman only has a 4-gallon fuel tank with the warning light starting to flash after 3-gallons and around 130 miles. When I first got the LD bug I acquired a 2-1/2 gallon steel tank, and connecting it via gravity on the GL1000 was a piece of cake, ran the 1/4" hose to a tee at the fuel pump inlet. I closed the petcock, remember them, on the stock tank then ran the aux tank empty them open the petcock. I later installed a 6-gallon Tour Tank for rally use including the 2007 IBR. When I got the GL1800 I used the steel tank mounted on a cargo rack installed on the vertical trailer hitch, to engineering the system that required an electric fuel pump. After I got the custom tail dragger fuel tank I put the steel tank in the shed and sold the Tour Tank to someone in the 2013 IBR. Kinda wish I still had it now, except for the weight.
So I installed the steel tank on the passenger portion on the saddle, I don't ride two up anyway. It is removable in about 3-minutes or I can just disconnect the fuel outlet hose and one of two straps used and lift the seat as normal, I just need to brace it up. I have been looking at plastic fuel cells from Summit and Jegs, looks like 5-gallons will be it, no plastic 6-gallons nor 7-gallons made. 8-gallons will fit maybe but then I'm over the 11.5 gallon limit. The Burgman fuel filler cap is behind the left pannier, I'm working on a system where I can fill both tanks from just the aux filler neck.

Anyway, I have one rally on the other side of the country next year to have it ready for and crossing my fingers for 2019.

Have Fun!
Don, I feel like you were describing my bike. I finished the 2017 IBR, If you get in I'm sure you will do well.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don, the plastic fuel cells are light and easy to mount. Here's 5 gallon JAZ on my TMax in the middle of a BBG, mounted to a GIVI rack:

I 'T'eed into the main tank breather vent line, so the aux cell drained first. The red handled ball valve on the back remains in the open position when plumbed that way. The fuel line between the tanks is only a 1/4 inch, though, so I still had to use both fillers.

Last edited: