Things i have learned about this long distance riding lark. Pt 2

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Get a good nights sleep i need about 5-6 hours sleep a night so if i am in bed 10 pm i will be awake around 3-4 am you are better off getting a natural sleep and not being forced awake by an alarm, shower, shave and a bowl of porridge a good hot filler and it is slow release keep your food intake light fruit, nuts, drink plenty of water all this is on the advice page.
At some point have some hot food and drink if you can do it have a 30 minute break clean your teeth (if you have any left) and a quick wash, as you changing your eating/sleeping routine you could get an upset stomach I.E 'A dose of the two bob bit's' if you aint up to speed with your cockney think what bit's rhymes with:D so carry some medication to stop this I.E Imodium also paracetamol for aches and pains, if you are on medication make sure you take it at the recommended time.
Don't pick the day the clocks go forward or back chances are the time on the receipt will be wrong this can cause problems with verification.
Sat navs are wonderful things some people can plan there routes on them my skills are restricted to putting in the next post code, i use google maps to find the next fuel stop and write it down on a route card as a reference and back up if the sat nav dies.
Solo or in company?
I am happy to do either provided the other rider(s) style matches my riding style no more than a group of three otherwise time is wasted at fuel stops it also helps if your bikes have a similar tank range I.E my GSA can do 280-300 miles per tank if one of the group can do 180 miles per tank that leaves me with another stop 100 miles later, the easy way to balance that is for the shorter range bike to carry a can for a splash and dash in a lay-by then fill the can and the bike at the next stop
make sure you keep the can filled to account for fuel to mileage check with the verification people that the can is allowed don't have a ride refused for a minor mistake.
Clothing
The RLBR 1000 happens in June nice warm summers day but Glen Coe at 3am will be cold when you start to lose daylight get extra layer on at the next available stop, it's all right mincing about in your replica race leathers posing with all the rest of the 'racers' on your Yamondazukiquakasfuckasaki in the Green welly or waist coat and leather chaps on your tassel tractor but they are next to useless when the temperature drops so be sensible.
If i am teaching some on here to suck eggs that was not my intention.
Ride safe

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Get a good nights sleep i need about 5-6 hours sleep a night so if i am in bed 10 pm i will be awake around 3-4 am you are better off getting a natural sleep and not being forced awake by an alarm, shower, shave and a bowl of porridge a good hot filler and it is slow release keep your food intake light fruit, nuts, drink plenty of water all this is on the advice page.
At some point have some hot food and drink if you can do it have a 30 minute break clean your teeth (if you have any left) and a quick wash, as you changing your eating/sleeping routine you could get an upset stomach I.E 'A dose of the two bob bit's' if you aint up to speed with your cockney think what bit's rhymes with:D so carry some medication to stop this I.E Imodium also paracetamol for aches and pains, if you are on medication make sure you take it at the recommended time.
Don't pick the day the clocks go forward or back chances are the time on the receipt will be wrong this can cause problems with verification.
Sat navs are wonderful things some people can plan there routes on them my skills are restricted to putting in the next post code, i use google maps to find the next fuel stop and write it down on a route card as a reference and back up if the sat nav dies.
Solo or in company?
I am happy to do either provided the other rider(s) style matches my riding style no more than a group of three otherwise time is wasted at fuel stops it also helps if your bikes have a similar tank range I.E my GSA can do 280-300 miles per tank if one of the group can do 180 miles per tank that leaves me with another stop 100 miles later, the easy way to balance that is for the shorter range bike to carry a can for a splash and dash in a lay-by then fill the can and the bike at the next stop
make sure you keep the can filled to account for fuel to mileage check with the verification people that the can is allowed don't have a ride refused for a minor mistake.
Clothing
The RLBR 1000 happens in June nice warm summers day but Glen Coe at 3am will be cold when you start to lose daylight get extra layer on at the next available stop, it's all right mincing about in your replica race leathers posing with all the rest of the 'racers' on your Yamondazukiquakasfuckasaki in the Green welly or waist coat and leather chaps on your tassel tractor but they are next to useless when the temperature drops so be sensible.
If i am teaching some on here to suck eggs that was not my intention.
Ride safe
Well said young man :rolleyes: