Thinking about a Border to Border next year

Steve Boone

Premier Member
Looking for some advice on a possible border to border next year. I am thinking about going from Nogales to Milk River, AB and would like some input from people who have done the B2B challenge. I have family and friends in Tucson, so this starting point is more out of convenience than anything else. The route I have picked comes in at 1544 miles and 22:45.

Here is my route: Nogales, MX to Milk River, AB, Canada - Google Maps

I think I can cover the miles with no problems in 24 hours, but I have never been into Mexico and have no idea what that crossing is like. Can you get through pretty quick, or should I expect to spend a while at the border getting back through. I understand it's hard to gauge how quick anybody can get through, but given the amount of time, can I do a Gold ride with this? Or should I just plan on doing a standard 36 hour ride? I see the rules say that you can submit a photo as proof that you crossed the border. Are there any hacks to use this rather than a DBR inside Mexico? I would hate to get a DBR, then have to spend an hour trying to cross over. I am less concerned with Canada as I have been there a few times before, and traffic at the crossing in Montana is probably gonna be pretty light. Any insights, thoughts or general wisdom would be much appreciated! :)

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That looks like a fun route! I've been wondering when to fit one of these in, too, so I'll be watching your thread.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Not been on the clock, but have crossed the border in Nogales a few times...and, only on foot.

Rush hours suck, so do weekends in crossing.

Now, the Mariposa Port of Entry is a few km to the west, and is the predominant commercial crossing point. Not sure where you'd get your DBR or photo for that matter, but it might be a bit easier there.

If all that's required is a good photo, you might consider - again, during weekday hours only...Lukeville/Sonoyta.

Wasn't a B2B, but I did a BBG3000 with Greg Rice a couple months ago, crossing into Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. We were able to get receipts at the border control checkpoint. Absolutely no delay getting into Mexico, however, long lines getting back into the US. Biggest problem for me was the oil stained pavement while waiting for re-entry made stop and go, getting a foot down, a risky proposition.

Steve Boone

Premier Member
If all that's required is a good photo, you might consider - again, during weekday hours only...Lukeville/Sonoyta.
But Ken, if I did that then I would have to do the Why - Why Not ride too... :D:D:D

Neanderthaler, did you get it at the checkpoint itself, or did you hit up one of the duty free shops? Did you guys stay in Mexico, or was it just in and out? I have always wondered about that, too.

In, wait in line, and out. Our receipts were from the checkpoint itself. I can’t remember seeing anything that was open inside Mexico anyway. It was early when we arrived.

Steve Boone

Premier Member
In, wait in line, and out. Our receipts were from the checkpoint itself. I can’t remember seeing anything that was open inside Mexico anyway. It was early when we arrived.
Thanks for the info. I think I remember reading about your trip down there somewhere, either on here or the facebook group.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking for some advice on a possible border to border next year. I am thinking about going from Nogales to Milk River, AB and would like some input from people who have done the B2B challenge. I have family and friends in Tucson, so this starting point is more out of convenience than anything else. The route I have picked comes in at 1544 miles and 22:45.

Here is my route: Nogales, MX to Milk River, AB, Canada - Google Maps

I think I can cover the miles with no problems in 24 hours, but I have never been into Mexico and have no idea what that crossing is like. Can you get through pretty quick, or should I expect to spend a while at the border getting back through. I understand it's hard to gauge how quick anybody can get through, but given the amount of time, can I do a Gold ride with this? Or should I just plan on doing a standard 36 hour ride? I see the rules say that you can submit a photo as proof that you crossed the border. Are there any hacks to use this rather than a DBR inside Mexico? I would hate to get a DBR, then have to spend an hour trying to cross over. I am less concerned with Canada as I have been there a few times before, and traffic at the crossing in Montana is probably gonna be pretty light. Any insights, thoughts or general wisdom would be much appreciated! :)
I rode the B2B with the MTF back in 2008. We road from Nuevo Laredo to Emersion, CA. It was about 1630 miles. I wrote a ride report from that ride, here is the link

http://www.gregrice.com/mtfb2b/B2B_Ride_Report.htm

I did the B2B in August. I started in Coutts, AB and finished in Los Algodones, Baja California. I-15 was the main route. The crossing into and then out of Los Algodones was very easy and fast. I bought a couple of bottles of Coke at the liquor store for my DBR. Most of the town is dental offices and pharmacies and they actually have guys helping you park depending on which dental office you’re going to. I told one guy I needed a receipt and he held a parking place for me in front of the liquor store; about two blocks from the border port of entry. Of course you’d need to move your start to Yuma, but it may be worth it to have the easy border crossings. The Coutts border crossing was very easy also.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Not been on the clock, but have crossed the border in Nogales a few times...and, only on foot.

Rush hours suck, so do weekends in crossing.

Now, the Mariposa Port of Entry is a few km to the west, and is the predominant commercial crossing point. Not sure where you'd get your DBR or photo for that matter, but it might be a bit easier there.

Mariposa has commercial crossing but has over 20 lanes for cars but it is indeed slow and the closest place for a receipt would be the toll road unless you go downtown. I would suggest you look at Sasabe or even move west towards Algodones. You want to avoid weekends in Nogales.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
But Ken, if I did that then I would have to do the Why - Why Not ride too... :D:D:D

Neanderthaler, did you get it at the checkpoint itself, or did you hit up one of the duty free shops? Did you guys stay in Mexico, or was it just in and out? I have always wondered about that, too.
I'd really hope you'd do the B2B ride southbound if Why - Whynot is on the bucket list. :)

I did the B2B in August. I started in Coutts, AB and finished in Los Algodones, Baja California. I-15 was the main route. The crossing into and then out of Los Algodones was very easy and fast. I bought a couple of bottles of Coke at the liquor store for my DBR. Most of the town is dental offices and pharmacies and they actually have guys helping you park depending on which dental office you’re going to. I told one guy I needed a receipt and he held a parking place for me in front of the liquor store; about two blocks from the border port of entry. Of course you’d need to move your start to Yuma, but it may be worth it to have the easy border crossings. The Coutts border crossing was very easy also.
Hey Jeff,

We are doing the same ride this June. Any advice? We are thinking of starting at 4am using this schedule:

https://goo.gl/maps/D5Hth4bNm9J2

Is there anything open at 2am in Los Algodones?

The gate to get from the U.S. to Mexico will not be!

Check the Andrade border station for times; currently, open at 0600 - 2200 local time.
Might have to change it to the one in San Luis south of Yuma. Or leave at 8am instead. I'm a morning person so I'm a bit worried about riding all night.

You can monitor crossing times from MX to the US using https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html in the days and weeks preceding your ride.

In Mexico, you can lane-share although in the border crossing line this is sometimes impossible due to narrow lanes and uncooperative CA/AZ cagers.

Also, do a trail crossing and see if you can use the SENTRI lane and exit out of it before you get to the US line. I know this is possible in Mexicali. I have SENTRI so I don't always notice. Usually, as you approach the actual US line there will be a break in the K-rail to allow motorcycles to re-join regular traffic.

Nogales has two crossing but the commercial crossing does not have a SENTRI lane (at least it did not a few months ago). The commercial crossing skirts the main city centre.

ATM receipts are usually good in Mexico (Santander or BBVA or HSBC are all big names international banks)

Nogales is open 24x7x365 but the aforementioned Sonoyta is open 06:00 to 23:59. Example crossing, it is 08:00 on a Saturday and the delay is zero minutes at Nogales.

Thinking about doing a B2B at the beginning of May. Planned route is from Emerson, Canada to Laredo Columbia Solidarity International Bridge crossing. Has anyone had experience at this border crossing? I’ve read that it is one of the quicker/quieter places to cross. Anyone have recommendations otherwise?

Hey Jeff,

We are doing the same ride this June. Any advice? We are thinking of starting at 4am using this schedule:

Hey Jeff,

I did the B2B in 36 hours. I started in Coutts, AB at 6AM with a DBR from the motel there and crossed into the US about 5 minutes later. I was the only vehicle at the border station, so it took about 2 minutes with the customs agent and I was on my way. I got to St. George, UT at midnight, stayed there, then started out at about 6 AM the next morning. I got to Los Algodones at about 3:30 PM and was about the third vehicle in line at the Mexican Border. I took the exact route you’re planning. If I did the B2B in 24 hours with the same route I’d have to start and end sometime when both border crossings are open. I’d have to research those times and double check just before leaving home to see if they changed.