Timed release Caffeine

BigFoot60

Premier Member
on my recent 1st BB1500 run I had two concerns; cold in the morning, and fatigue towards the end of the day. I typically don't do much caffeinated coffee, 2 or 3 cups a week. So I thought I'd try timed released caffeine pills to give me a boost without a crash. It seems to have worked great. The pill was 100mg, and said it was a 4 hour timed release. I took one pill when I was 4 hours from my destination, and it seemed to work perfect. I got there with no tiredness, but was easily able to fall asleep when I was ready. Usually any afternoon caffeine keeps me up half the night.

Give it a try sometime. They're readily available on Amazon.

EddyC

IBA Member
I think you should take a look at the "Archive of wisdom", especially to point #3 of the IBA 25 Long-Distance Riding Tips:

https://ironbutt.org/25tips.html

I also think that your "advise" includes a dangerous way of thinking i.e. you are forcing yourself to accomplish a task you are - imho - not ready for.
Relying on a drug is inherently "an accident waiting to happen" and not only as a figure of speech.
Also, can one really trust the composition of a drug, bought via Amazon?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Stay Safe..
Ed.

igneouss

Premier Member
What you describe is not the end of the world. In general terms what you took was equal to about 4 caffinated drinks. However, the IBA does discourage these types of things. Many caffine products increase the need to urinate which slows you down. Another problem is that many products that 'enhance alertness' have side effects that can be dangerous on a motorcycle. The benefit/risk tradeoff is a fail when you consider motorcycle crashes in the equation.

BigFoot60

Premier Member
Why is everyone in attack mode? There's plenty of threads in these forums discussing caffeine use. The archive of wisdom is a good list of suggestions, not a hard set of rules. No one gets disqualified if they don't carry a half gallon of water.

According to Google, a cup of coffee has 95 mg of caffeine, so a 100mg is equal to ONE caffeinated drink, not 4. The benefit of a timed release dose is that you don't get a rush then crash like you would with a drink.

The potential problems with caffeine use are the jitters on the way up, and a crash on the way down. Being timed release solves both those problems. I checked the reviews on Amazon and other places, and tried it on myself a couple of times before I used it on the trip. This is a quality product.
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01IRFX4NY

My goal with this thread was to have a thoughtful conversation about an option that might make the ride safer and more comfortable. If you have a differing opinion, that's great, and that's what adult conversations are about. Your opinion is not the only one that matters, so don't try to tell me what I can and cannot do.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I don't see any posts in this thread that I would characterize as "attack mode," nor do I see anyone telling you what you can or cannot do. What I do see are members expressing their own experiences and observations regarding the topic.

yon

Premier Member
Why is everyone in attack mode? There's plenty of threads in these forums discussing caffeine use. The archive of wisdom is a good list of suggestions, not a hard set of rules. No one gets disqualified if they don't carry a half gallon of water.

According to Google, a cup of coffee has 95 mg of caffeine, so a 100mg is equal to ONE caffeinated drink, not 4. The benefit of a timed release dose is that you don't get a rush then crash like you would with a drink.

The potential problems with caffeine use are the jitters on the way up, and a crash on the way down. Being timed release solves both those problems. I checked the reviews on Amazon and other places, and tried it on myself a couple of times before I used it on the trip. This is a quality product.
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01IRFX4NY

My goal with this thread was to have a thoughtful conversation about an option that might make the ride safer and more comfortable. If you have a differing opinion, that's great, and that's what adult conversations are about. Your opinion is not the only one that matters, so don't try to tell me what I can and cannot do.
I've got that feeling too when I started a new post once. Guess people tend to be set in their ways with certain things, since it works for them.

Thanks for posting about the time released caffeine pills. I was not aware of their existence. I might not end up using them myself, but good to know they are out there.

During my rides I usually grab a frappacino or even some hot coffee every 3rd-4th gas stop as a way to take a take a break, get something different aside from the water on my bike, and also get a little perk up from the caffeine and sugar. It's what works for me, though others may have a different strategy.

Skidoo

Premier Member
on my recent 1st BB1500 run I had two concerns; cold in the morning, and fatigue towards the end of the day. I typically don't do much caffeinated coffee, 2 or 3 cups a week. So I thought I'd try timed released caffeine pills to give me a boost without a crash. It seems to have worked great. The pill was 100mg, and said it was a 4 hour timed release. I took one pill when I was 4 hours from my destination, and it seemed to work perfect. I got there with no tiredness, but was easily able to fall asleep when I was ready. Usually any afternoon caffeine keeps me up half the night.

Give it a try sometime. They're readily available on Amazon.

I know many riders who enjoy an iced coffee or few during extended rides as it doubles as a quick meal. The hidden risk being after a week or two they have to let their belts out a few notches :rolleyes:

Attachments

IBA-Tiger

Quote:
I know many riders who enjoy an iced coffee or few during extended rides as it doubles as a quick meal. The hidden risk being after a week or two they have to let their belts out a few notches :rolleyes:

Yep, I know of whom you speak.....
But less of a problem if you get reduced-fat and no-sugar Iced coffees..

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've been a coffeeholic all my adult life. Here at the house, I drink very strong coffee that's pretty high in caffeine. I have a standing order to have it delivered on a monthly basis. I do try to avoid caffeine after @ 1700 or so. When I travel by car, I generally bring one of my Keurig coffeemakers with me.

If I'm doing long rides, I limit myself to no more than two cups of coffee a day, and that's generally in the morning, and only drink water throughout the day. It is rare that I tire unreasonably during the ride. When I do start to tire, I stop and rest. That's what works for me. Considering I've been around a while, I'm not changing what's worked for me.

I'm 100% with Ira. We all make decisions that work for us - not others. Where it's okay to express your opinion and share what works for you, it's not okay to take others comments out of context. Personally, there's no way I would consider pills for caffeine when I can just take a break and stop for a cup of coffee. And just in case anyone's interested, that answer is no, I don't have any problems getting to sleep....

Firstpeke

The use of stimulants in whatever form almost always involves caffeine, which is a personal choice for the rider.

Personally, I seldom drink coffee and certainly never energy drinks, the main reason being, for me at least, is the short term high accompanied by a headache followed by a slump.
The same thing applies, again, for me, to high sugar content products.... I also get sugar headaches so try to avoid chocolate or the likes.

Many years ago in the services we were advised that Kendal Mint Cake was a good energy source, being about 100% sugar.... another product was glucose tablets called Dextrosol, well both were good for some, but if you ate too much you needed to drink large amounts of water to ensure you didn't overload your kidneys..... so those were avoided!

So these days I have, on occasion, drank a latte for the final hour of a ride.... but only if home is my final destination as I have another side effect of coffee consumption, which requires proximity to a sit down toilet around an hour or so after drinking it.....

Getting older has some strange side effects for me.

Each to their own, you should know your own body's limitations!

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Everyone is different - I can drink coffee all day long without effect but if I have one wee sip of the full-test stuff after 5pm… but I have ADHD, and caffeine is a cheap, short-term replacement for aderall.

So wait, should I not take a doctor prescribed medicine on a ride? Well… no, obviously. The point of the rule isn’t “don’t you dare drink coffee on an IBA ride!” (The coffee pot at the 4am riders meeting should be enough to put that thought to rest..) but what the rule is trying to say is that the /abuse/ of stimulants, as a quick-fix to push yourself when tired, is a dangerous choice - it tends to mask the symptoms of exhaustion, but you still /are/ in need of rest.

So sure, have a coffee or two, or a Coke or sweet tea with your dinner.. but don’t think that you’re actually getting “5 hours of energy” and cane safely push through the darkness. So much of this weird little hobby is learning about what you can accomplish, safely, and understanding what your physical body demands are, from moment to moment.. hydration, nutrition, the impact of medication, stimulants like coffee, how different kinds of food will impact you.. we want you to be safe, and to not perpetuate the stereotype of “speed-addled bikers”

I drink coffee to the tune of about one cup in the morning a day. Light roast at that. I have found that Red Bull drinks or Rock Star drinks give me a boost on days I need a little pep. I'm not advocating the use and I don't use them often but do find they help "occasionally". We all know those last few hours are the hardest to stay alert as what we do for those little certificates seems insane to most people. You need to stay hydrated and alert to be safe for yourself and others. IMO