Tips for a Nevada in-state SS1000

Well, how did it go? Did you burn more gas than you expected because you were going FAR, FAR ABOVE the speed limit? Not that I would ever admit to that behavior during an Iron Butt run, nor would I encourage another rider to break the law. I'm just saying, I've heard stories of motorcyclists safely exceeding 100mph for long periods of time in Nevada.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I'm just saying, I've heard stories of motorcyclists safely exceeding 100mph for long periods of time in Nevada.
Cannot imagine why one would need to go that fast... You only need an average of 83.3mph to make a 2k day. That is even legal in some parts of the country. :D

[QUOTE="J I've heard stories of motorcyclists safely exceeding 100mph for long periods of time in Nevada.[/QUOTE]
100 mph Yes, but "Long periods of time". Unlikely. The north south routes are mostly 1 lane in each direction and are heavily traveled by semi trucks. It's very tiring to try work your way around them day or night. Misjudge speed or distance on an unlighted road and you are a bug on a windshield. You might be able to sustain a high rate of speed on the east west roads, but there are hazards. Nevada is not as remote as it once was. Then of course there is LIDAR and small town speed traps.

Foxton1

Premier Member
Hi Ox, jstrode, Del, Jerry, Stephen and all - I had an awesome ride, just got back to Australia. All your tips came in handy... West Wendover didn't trip me up, cash at fuel stops came in super handy when my card didn't work at the pump, and I wore a hydration water backpack to keep my fluids up. It was nice and hot starting in Vegas, but turned cold and stormy once I reached Wendover Will - all the way to Reno.

I've got a ride report ready to publish, which I'll place in the main Ride Reports section. I hope it's ok to also share a link in our Aussie section's report area, to the single ride report I publish.

The ride left me with need for more riding in the USA. So many positives, so many nice people and scenery. :D

Yes, I'm also quite sad to come back to Australia's slow speed limits :(