Tips on going for the Saddle sore 1000 and bun burner 1500 at the same time?

Hi everyone,

I have been riding hard over the past year and want to try to kill two birds with one stone and do both the 1000 mile and 1500 mile in one run. I read on the IBA that this was allowed and was wondering if anyone had done this before and wanted to share their experience and give any tips.

thanks!

Russ Black

Premier Member
Yes, I sometimes do that too. The most important thing in nesting a ride is that the nested ride must be able to stand on it's own. In other words, you must be able to submit the nested ride by itself. You must cover the 1000 miles of the Saddle Sore in under 24 hours. The two rides do not have to start nor finish at the same place. I'm currently working on themed Saddle Sore rides where I have to start and end in towns other than where I live requiring me to drive quite a few miles before I can start those rides.

I acquire a DBR near my home. This is the start DBR for the Bun Burner 1500. I travel to the start of the themed Saddle Sore 1000 and obtain a DBR there. This is the start DBR for the Saddle Sore 1000 and the next DBR for the BB1500. I do the SS 1000 and obtain all required DBR's with the last being the ending DBR for the SS and the next one for the BB 1500. I then return home and obtain an ending DBR for the BB1500.

You can not however claim a nested SS if you do a BBG (1500 miles in 24 or less)

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hi everyone,

I have been riding hard over the past year and want to try to kill two birds with one stone and do both the 1000 mile and 1500 mile in one run. I read on the IBA that this was allowed and was wondering if anyone had done this before and wanted to share their experience and give any tips.

thanks!
It takes the same minimum speed to complete both the Saddlesore 1000 and the Bun Burner 1500 (just under 42 mph). So theoretically, one could maintain a Saddlesore 1000 pace for the entire ride.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. But in practice they're not. :) So ideally, one should probably finish the first 1,000 miles at a somewhat higher average, thus providing some time cushion for the last 500 miles.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

Baxter

As a relative noob in the IBA myself, maybe this will be helpful. I combined two rides on my second IBA ride. I'd been thinking of doing a BB1500 from Bismarck ND to the Tail of the Dragon and splitting the necessary mileage evenly around a rest at a hotel. But my first SS1000 was completed with less than the competence that I wanted from myself (23 hours!!! Bad!!!). So, I decided to remedy this by nesting a SS1000 in the trip. I completed the SS1000 by way of Fargo ND and Kansas City, stopping in St. Louis for the night. OK, more like only part of the night. But I was satisfied with my performance on this one. I resumed the trip the next morning and completed the BB1500 within the necessary time.

You can do it with good planning.

And a tip, I made a proper list of gas stops at a reasonable range for my tank, complete with exit numbers, on the second trip whereas I mostly relied on luck the first time. I shouldn't have assumed that just because a place has a name on the map, that it also includes a gas station. Now I use my mapping program to verify the physical existence of a gas station, and its hours. The list prevented me from having to search, or hope, to find gas when I needed it. I did it with a paper list of exit numbers then. But now I preprogram each stop into my GPS.

And a second tip, I ate something that disagreed with me at a gas station on my first SS1000. The subsequent intestinal rumblings were the primary cause of my poor performance. Now it's only sealed, prepackaged foods.

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
And a second tip, I ate something that disagreed with me at a gas station on my first SS1000. The subsequent intestinal rumblings were the primary cause of my poor performance. Now it's only sealed, prepackaged foods.
Some folks will only eat (at least on longer rides) at McDonalds. Their argument: they know of no one who ever got food poisoning at Mickey D's. They may have a point.

Ira

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You just need to build up a resistance to gas station food. W/O some of those chemicals in your system as a buffer, you're more likely to be done in by that tasty corndog or the sauerkraut that's been stewing for 12 hours. Anything with jalapeños is likely safe, peppers are good.

Understanding the finer points of roller food selection helps too. cheeseburger dogs or solid chicken Memphis Hot 'dogs' are far more healthy than some variety of hot dog. And any hotdog must be consumed with onions or it's likely to self combust inside your stomach. Onions are a vegetable, after all, so it's healthy!

And should you luck into some place like Ash Springs, NV right after they made a fresh batch of honey batter turkey corndogs, you really should buy at least 5, eat one on the spot and put the rest in your tank bag for later.

Conversely, Sinclair, WY at the Sinclair station, makes a mean fresh cheeseburger for you if you ask nice instead of the ones on the warming tray. Fast too.

I still draw the line at chicken salad or egg salad sandwiches at a gas station. Not safe. Ditto for gas station sushi unless it's a QT or a Sheetz. ;)

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
honey batter turkey corndogs
You know, I've stopped in Ash Springs at that Shell station 3 times now, and I never even noticed... damn! Sounds like I need to make a return visit this year. Now, when will I be in Ely again...

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
They used to use turkey dogs for the corn dogs, but I honestly don't know if that was just that time, (sale on turkey dogs?), or a std thing. But the honey batter on the dogs is a treat. That was in '13 when I was doing the Nevada Stampede. I have enjoyed a good quality corndog there many times prior to and after that though. They have other offerings worth checking out as well.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
They used to use turkey dogs for the corn dogs, but I honestly don't know if that was just that time, (sale on turkey dogs?), or a std thing. But the honey batter on the dogs is a treat. That was in '13 when I was doing the Nevada Stampede. I have enjoyed a good quality corndog there many times prior to and after that though. They have other offerings worth checking out as well.
If this is a sneaky way to propose an Ash Springs Shell station corndog ride-to-eat, count me out, please. :)

Hoppy

I did the SS1000 and BB1500 on my first (and so far only) IBA ride in about the worst possible way, I guess. First, I waited until I was 59. Second, I did not plan it per se, i just did it on a lark during a ride from Florida to Las Vegas for a conference. Third, I tagged this on to another ride from the Panhandle of Florida to central Florida for a Rally. Fourth, I did not plan the route.

So. I hit torrential rain in Pensacola, killing my Sena bluetooth and primary GPS. Two accidents on I-10, Maps rerouted me to I-20. Fire encroaching on I-20 in Texas, rerouted to I-40. More rain, then snow, rain, snow... until I hit Nevada where it was clear and sunny the rest of the way. My rain gear was in tatters by then (it was old). Did not make either goal, although I did get there the afternoon before the conference. That, in a nutshell, is how not to do it.

I took everything I learned on the way there, did a little planning, bought some gear, and did the SS100 and BB1500 back-to-back on the way back to Florida. Completed them in Louisiana. Was it fun? Yes!!! I had not ridden long distance like that in over 10 years. At work, I am known as the crazy person that always rides to work in the rain. Now they probably just consider me insane...

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hoppy, you are going to fit in well around here. Great riding and best of luck with your adventures. When that envelope finally arrives with a certified ride certificate inside you will be officially certifiable.

Hoppy

Been certifiable all my life, and now I am certified twice! My Chapter Director (GWRRA) even said it was an insane ride. When I was younger and stationed at Edwards, I did three trips in total from there to the Panhandle in under three days, going on leave to see my folks. Two of those were on my '76 GL1000, and one in my truck.

Terrywerm

They say that there is no teacher like experience. With that in mind, I did a little thinking and planning beforehand. Actually, a LOT of thinking and planning!

My first ride was a BB1500 in 36 hours. I figured I could do about 850 miles on day one, get a decent night's rest and ride the remaining 650 or so the next day. I left my home in Jordan MN on Saturday morning, rode to Worthington MN, then west to Sheridan WY on I-90. Did my turnaround there and came back to Gillette to spend the night. Day one went just beautifully, but there were things to be learned just the same. I left Gillette early the next morning, and streaked across South Dakota. At Worthington MN I would be getting off the interstate and taking MN 60 and US 169 back to Jordan, and I was set to arrive in Jordan 34 hours after I departed. I had all of my fuel receipts and photos of each one next to the odometer, I figured I had this in the bag!

Then disaster struck. My phone somehow fell out of its mount, landing on I-90. I stopped as quickly as I could and ran back to where my phone was. I could see it, and it was undamaged... until that last Chevy Suburban came by. TRASHED!! I retrieved what I could but the memory card with the photos was missing and I could not locate it.

I returned home, made it in plenty of time, but could not submit my ride with no documentation. I was not dismayed however, as I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 day adventure and learned that riding a 1000 mile day would not be as bad as one might think.

But the most important thing was this: I now make sure that I also save my photos to a cloud based service immediately!!

A month later I did a SS1000 along with my son and a friend. We planned our stops and we were successful at reaching Belgrade MT in 19 hours even with waiting out a thunderstorm for a little over an hour in South Dakota. But, my first failed trip was a valuable lesson for our successful trip, and the first trip was NOT a waste even though I could not get it certified. I learned much on that first ride and I would not trade it for anything.

My son and I are planning to attempt our BB1500 in August, but will be travelling across North Dakota out to Montana instead.

In short, there are no failed trips, only learning experiences, and every mile can be enjoyed for its own sake.