Tires

Tep_52

Premier Member
I too am running michelin commander 2 on my 2014 ultraclassic. The stock Dunlops gave way at about 7000 miles switched to the michelins and now have over 12000 miles on them and counting

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I used a set of Dunlop American Elites on my 13 FLHTK. Rode 2 up from central Texas to Sturgis a couple years ago. I had more than 5000 miles 2up on that trip and the tires looked new still. The commanders and the elites were my two choices and I went with the dunlops because I got them cheaper. I have since gotten a new bike and when tire change comes again I might try the commanders.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I run the standard HD tires on....just finished the IBR on 1 set as always....12.5 K miles and still some life left in them although they are what we called "cupped" in Europe....very flat from using a lot of Interstate I have done as much as 27000 KM on a set on my Eurobike....better tarmac generally than over here.....

Darrin Hicks

Premier Member
For those who are on pre-2009 Touring HD's, which use the Dunlop 402 as standard.... I've found the 402's not the best for high mileage, having worn out a rear at 11k miles. Year's ago, I switched to the Dunlop Elite 3's and I've been able to 15K and more out of a rear tire. I would hope that the newer Elite 4's would have similar endurance.

David Yanke

Premier Member
Thanks to all who replied. I decided to go darkside on the rear using a Hankook Optimo and Commander II on the front. I was getting a pretty good slow speed wobble in the front until I changed it out. Set had around 17K on them. Seems to be working well, although I am a little concerned that I put enough RideOn in the back since the chart I (mistakenly) used was for a bike tire similar in size rather than an auto.

Thanks again all.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
I have a 2013 Heritage softail classic, I have just recently put a Fatboy rear wheel onto my bike and I have now got a small problem of my speedo is reading slower than I am actually travelling (speedo says 100Kph, GPS says 103Kph). The reading is pretty constant. In the past I have not been to worried as I use my GPS as an accurate speedo, but my concern is when doing these rides (BB2500) it requires me to show my odometer reading, this will mean if I am to ride to my odometer I am going to have to travel 850Km or 528 miles further than the maps to make up the required miles, in my case Kilometers. Not real keen to travel 3350Km where the rest of the group I am riding with will be only needing to cover 2500Km.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A couple of notes for this thread, starting here:
and I have now got a small problem of my speedo is reading slower than I am actually travelling (speedo says 100Kph, GPS says 103Kph).
This can be updated using a flash tuner like a Dynojet PowerVision or TTS MasterTune.

this will mean if I am to ride to my odometer I am going to have to travel 850Km or 528 miles further than the maps to make up the required miles, in my case Kilometers
You only need to prove that you rode the distance required of the ride. If your odo is off, note that and ride the required amount. Documentation from the GPS and/or other mapping is acceptable, as long as you can prove that you rode the required amount. Your odometer reading can be used to prove consistency, if not accuracy for your ride.

As for bikes using the new Dunlop 407T rear tire, I feel like I get enough miles (13-15K per tire) out of it to not justify running other brands or even going dark. The old 402 was not as reliable for me, rarely making it to 8K, but I've not had a bike with one of those in almost 10 years.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
A couple of notes for this thread, starting here:

This can be updated using a flash tuner like a Dynojet PowerVision or TTS MasterTune.

You only need to prove that you rode the distance required of the ride. If your odo is off, note that and ride the required amount. Documentation from the GPS and/or other mapping is acceptable, as long as you can prove that you rode the required amount. Your odometer reading can be used to prove consistency, if not accuracy for your ride.

Many thanks for the advice, I am still in the planning stage right now, but I need to know where I am going, this helped me out a lot, I have been advised that I need to use my odometer to show the distance I have ridden, and that worried me a bit, that is why I have asked, I had no idea how the speedo is done being electronic and my knowledge is rather limited and therefore at the mercy of those in workshops. If this can be changed by a tuner then maybe I could look into getting one. maybe I already have one and don't realize it yet I will find out tomorrow, once again thank you.

Tep_52

Premier Member
Just as a add on my math tells me that the difference between 100kph and 103kph is 3 percent and 3 percent of 2500 is only 75

Clive Rand

Premier Member
Just as a add on my math tells me that the difference between 100kph and 103kph is 3 percent and 3 percent of 2500 is only 75
You may be correct, as maths was never my strong point, and that figure I was given from one of my friends and I am too lazy to correct them for it. so my apologies for any incorrect numbers. I have found out that I am good to go with the odometer being out as long as I inform them it has a error in reading, I am trying out the standard rear tyre for a Fatboy just a Dunlop thing I almost bought the elite, but wasn't sure about how they would go so until I wear my front down I will be watching to see how many miles you guys get for your tyres.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've heard a lot of good things about the Dunlop American Elite tires and they will be the next tires I put on my Sportster and Heritage. However, with the miles I ride my Heritage it will be quite some time before it needs tires.

Also, keep in mind there are not many people riding a Heritage on IBA rides. Don Stadler is one of the few that come to mind at the moment. Most are on Electraglides or Roadglides which are much heavier bikes and will have different tire wear. My Heritage is a 96 so it is not really comparable to yours. I think I got 10-12,000 out of my Metzler rear tires

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Also, when discussing Harleys, there is another difference when comparing a Touring model to any of their other models, such as Softails or Dynas, or even pre-'09 Touring vs. '09 and up (with another small change in MY 2014).

In 2009 the touring models moved from the Dunlop 402 model to the Dunlop 407 (and later the 407T). This new tire has what Dunlop calls Dual Compound rubber, which I interpret to mean harder rubber in the middle and softer on the outside. This has been the secret for them getting higher mileage from their heavier bikes. The smaller bikes don't have this new tire composition.

This is merely my interpretation of their marketing blurbs combined with my experience of riding 7 different HD touring bikes since '99.

...edited to add that someone described this earlier in the thread to, so I now see most of this is redundant...

Last edited:

Clive Rand

Premier Member
I managed to get just over 16000Km out of my last rear tyre, however the Heritage rear tyre is 150/80B-16, or something like that I think they called it a Dunlop MU85B-16, but I didn't do much travelling around town so I think that helped. Anyway long story short I have been advised that the 200 rear tyre will not get the good mileage I got from the narrow tyre, some telling me they only got around 7000Km which I thought sounded a little bit thin, but time will tell, I have to wizz off to Townsville Thursday so I will get a couple of K's up and be back before Friday arvo, got a funeral to go to, and do not want to be away from home at Christmas time. This is also the first Harley I have owned it am finally getting use to it now, (slow learner) never had such a heavy bike before, my rides were all dirt bikes for many years, with a slight run with smaller bore sport bikes.

I'm at a little over 20,000 on a set of Metzler 888. will be replacing them in the spring. i ride a 2004 ultra classic mostly 2 up (300 lbs both of us). i only got 6000 out of my Dunlops (stock).

JAORE

Premier Member
... I have found out that I am good to go with the odometer being out as long as I inform them it has a error in reading, ....
There are many warnings on IBA sites to NOTjust rely on odometer readings since they are frequently off. So using a good mapping programand GPSis actually better than relying on your odometer.