Tirpitz Memorial Ride. Cancelled

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Date for this ride. To take part you must have completed at least an SS1000.

To remember those who lost their lives in the X-Craft attempt to sink the Tirpitz (Operation Source) and the raid when the Tirpitz was sunk by 9 Squadron and 617 Squadron (Operation Catechism).

Lossiemouth to Tromso via Trondheim. SS3000 ( Eurotunnel Channel Crossing and Rodby-Putgarten ferry).

Dates edited to facilitate travel between Tromso and ERTE on 15th August.

And just to furthur mess up ideas for all....the aug Euro RTE will be on aug 15 most likely the top of Trollstiegen at the usual 467 formula.....
Michiel Kerkhof

8th August 1800 hours start at RAF Lossiemouth. (Saturday)
9th August Coquelles (Sunday-run across central Europe- No HGVs)
Fættfjordvegen Tirpitz memorial.
Tromso Tirpitz Platen
11th August 1900 hours finish at Tirpitz-museum in Kåfjord Opening especially for you...

Route and times updated 11/05/2020

Flower Sniffing
15th August European RTE

Mileage verification points/route will be provided as per Dambusters. There will be a start photo. Photo at Trondheim, Photo at Tromso and Photo at Kåfjord. It will be for the riders to plan their rest breaks for the ride.

Interested

1)GSears
2) Kim Leeson
3) Safari Ferg
4) stig of the dump
5) JON12A
6) Colin
7) Jonnyp
8 & 9) GraemeandSally
10) Tom Tom
11) Daz nez
12) jaybee
13) Splitter142
14) Winglider
15) Peter Perfect
16) Rolf-Arne
17)Martex
18) Sean

Last edited:

Aitch

Bit too much for me...

I know the Lossiemouth area a little bit as I go up there couple of times a year to visit relatives. Elgin (10 miles away) has a Premier Inn but it doesn't tend to do cheap deals and there are one or two other hotels in Elgin. There is a bar/hotel in Lossiemouth which is okay (stayed in their single room - decent meals) and some B&Bs but these could be busy even though its the tail end of the Scottish school holidays (Lossie has a popular beach). Couple of big caravan/camping sites in the area and one or two smaller ones 5 or 6 miles away. .....

The quickest route to the A9 is back to Elgin, then the A941, A95 which takes you on to the A9 but I recommend you go via the coast road towards Burghead, then past Kinloss, through Forres and about 4 or 5 miles after Forres turn right onto the B9007 which takes you over some moors to Carrbridge. Might add two mins but its a beautiful road in the sunshine......

Here is a pic of the B9007 ....
scot-bmw (2).jpg

Last edited:
just come back from elgin and the premier inn was on a deal just over £40 pound a night. aberdeen isnt that far away and they always seem to be on some sort of deal
chunnel isnt for me would have to do ferry little bit longer but i prefer the break / meal / comfort etc option

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
To get the miles it will look more like this Route.JPG

Also speed limits are higher in Sweden.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
just come back from elgin and the premier inn was on a deal just over £40 pound a night. aberdeen isnt that far away and they always seem to be on some sort of deal
chunnel isnt for me would have to do ferry little bit longer but i prefer the break / meal / comfort etc option
Miles will be OK using the Ferry. Just the time constraints.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Miles will be OK using the Ferry. Just the time constraints.
Plus the Puttgarden ferry takes 45 mins this gives you a chance for a small kip or bite to eat.
The E6 after Malmo up to Oslo is mainly a well maintained dual carriageway with many services spread along its length
With Kims route you have 25 hrs after Trondheim to cover roughly 740 miles .
This can mean you may wish to sleep for 5/6 hrs after leaving Trondheim (about 160 mile up the road is a camp site with cabins called Nyheim Camping) this will mean you avoid most of the night riding as the area is full of wildlife.
This will bring me into Tromso around 17.20 and gives me enough free time built in to the ride.

I will book a short break (4 hrs) in the UK around 1.00 am on the 11th then my next break will be around midnight in Falkenburg in Sweden (Iron Butt Motel 5/6 hrs) then on to Oslo and Trondheim.

Last edited:

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Plus the ferry takes 45 mins this gives you a chance for a small kip or bite to eat.
Cross channel ferry is OK.

Rodby Puttgarden shortens the route to less than 3000 miles (takes 84 miles off )

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
It may well have, I only did a quick route on GMaps, it was too short as well, Gordon has a revised map above.
Need to run it past Martin. I have it at 3000, but he will undoubtedly shave a couple of miles off.

Hope you're feeling better.