Trans Canada Quest

RickRussell

Premier Member
I am considering a Trans Canada Quest from Halifax to Vancouver. Google maps shows a few different possible routes through Ontario. One route is further north and looks simpler with smaller towns the whole way, and the other is further south with larger centers included. I'm looking for advice from people with local experience as to which route is better. I was in Northern Ontario a couple weeks ago (long weekend) and discovered the distances of 2 lane highway with solid center lines posted at 90 kmh with large police presence. Either way will be a long ride inside Ontario's borders. I am more familiar with western Canada but as always, will listen with both ears to any and all Trans Canada Quest advice

I am considering a Trans Canada Quest from Halifax to Vancouver. Google maps shows a few different possible routes through Ontario. One route is further north and looks simpler with smaller towns the whole way, and the other is further south with larger centers included. I'm looking for advice from people with local experience as to which route is better. I was in Northern Ontario a couple weeks ago (long weekend) and discovered the distances of 2 lane highway with solid center lines posted at 90 kmh with large police presence. Either way will be a long ride inside Ontario's borders. I am more familiar with western Canada but as always, will listen with both ears to any and all Trans Canada Quest advice
You have the bug. Enjoyed your 48/10 report.

I have driven from Lutsen, MN through Thunder Bay to Ottawa. When using HWY 11, you need to plan gas stops carefully. Traffic is usually light so you make good time for 2 lane riding. When I rode the Lake Superior Circle last year, it also called for careful gas stops from Wawa to Thunder Bay. Having a tank range 300 miles does make it easier.

-Mark

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
As long as this is a Canadian roads thread, excuse me for hijacking it for a moment. ;)

I'm looking at riding 13 all the way to Winnipeg. Is there any benefit to going just a bit farther north and taking Trans-Canada 1 instead? Is 1 equivilent to our Interstate Highways in the US? Higher speeds, limited access, better fuel availability, etc? It's not a toll road is it?

I could pick up 1 about 60 miles north of the border and then run east with it if its a better choice.

As long as this is a Canadian roads thread, excuse me for hijacking it for a moment. ;)

I'm looking at riding 13 all the way to Winnipeg. Is there any benefit to going just a bit farther north and taking Trans-Canada 1 instead? Is 1 equivilent to our Interstate Highways in the US? Higher speeds, limited access, better fuel availability, etc? It's not a toll road is it?

I could pick up 1 about 60 miles north of the border and then run east with it if its a better choice.
Do you mean Hwy 16?

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Do you mean Hwy 16?
Nope. If you look at the Willow Creek border crossing, 21 comes north from the border and then 13 comes in from the west at Govenlock. NE of Vidora 21 will continue north, and 13 then goes east. 13 then becomes 2 when you cross into Manitoba and continues to the bottom of Winnipeg.

After doing more research (googling and mapping) it does look like it will make more sense to continue north on 21 until it intersects 1 and then take 1 east to Winnipeg.

Unless of course, someone has a better idea.

Rick Russell

Premier Member
I was checking my maps and came up with an interesting observation. I live along the route for the trans Canada Quest in Canada, but for me to drive from home to the east coast and to the west coast then home is 942 miles further than driving from home in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan to Jax to SD and back home. Canada is a big place!

Attachments