Trike

Good morning everyone, this is my first post since i'm an "absolute beginner" of this forum.
My name is Maurizio and i live in Roma, Italy. I served in the SF of the Italian Navy and i'm a motorbike rider since my early age. I'm really impressed by the stories and the adventures of the IBA riders and i'd like to join this great association but i've an enquire which is decisive: about ten years ago i've had an accident which obligated me on a wheelchair. I ride an Harley Davidson trike chopper style and recently i bought a new HD TriGlide so i'd like to know if i could apply for a SaddleSore 1000K just to begin.
I know that usually trikes are not allowed but please let me know if there is any possibility.

Thanks....

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Good morning everyone, this is my first post since i'm an "absolute beginner" of this forum.
My name is Maurizio and i live in Roma, Italy. I served in the SF of the Italian Navy and i'm a motorbike rider since my early age. I'm really impressed by the stories and the adventures of the IBA riders and i'd like to join this great association but i've an enquire which is decisive: about ten years ago i've had an accident which obligated me on a wheelchair. I ride an Harley Davidson trike chopper style and recently i bought a new HD TriGlide so i'd like to know if i could apply for a SaddleSore 1000K just to begin.
I know that usually trikes are not allowed but please let me know if there is any possibility.

Thanks....
Trikes that are based on motorcycles or are registered as motorcycles are generally acceptable for IBA certificate rides. Folks should ask me if there is a question regarding a particular vehicle, but the TriGlide is fine.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

ts1

What with 4-wheeled vehicles?
E.g. the Quadro4 is basically a tilting scooter. http://www.quadrovehicles.com/vehicles/quadro-4/
(As EU legislation now demands a motorcycle license for every 3-wheeled vehicle (no matter if basically bike or car/truck), they just attached another wheel.)
I understand that driving a F300 Lifejet or F400 Carving is, although tilting, still more similar to car driving.
On the other side the Peraves motorcycles, technically a 2-wheeled motorcycle, but with air conditioned closed cabin and looking like a plane without wings. Zero altitude flying on 2 wheels.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
E.g. the Quadro4 is basically a tilting scooter. http://www.quadrovehicles.com/vehicles/quadro-4/
(As EU legislation now demands a motorcycle license for every 3-wheeled vehicle (no matter if basically bike or car/truck), they just attached another wheel.)
I understand that driving a F300 Lifejet or F400 Carving is, although tilting, still more similar to car driving.
On the other side the Peraves motorcycles, technically a 2-wheeled motorcycle, but with air conditioned closed cabin and looking like a plane without wings. Zero altitude flying on 2 wheels.
We deal with these on a case-by-case basis, but four-wheeled vehicles clearly do not meet the standard.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
We deal with these on a case-by-case basis, but four-wheeled vehicles clearly do not meet the standard.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
To clarify, the Quadro 4, even though it has 4 wheels, would be OK as it leans like a motorcycle and the rider is in the motorcycle riding position and exposed to the elements.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Those lists can be daunting, but every rider started with the same ride: their first one.

Good luck with yours.:)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Maurizio, Just wondering if you did, or are planning your Saddle Sore ride on one of your trikes? Don't be intimidated by the mileage, just understand that it's a progressive process. No one just went out and rode 1000 miles. Most worked up to it by riding shorter rides, seeing where the discomfort was, what issues developed and doing things to improve or correct those issues, then going for another ride. Slowly you solve the problems and improve your comfort, and just your own endurance until one day you realize you have made your machine the most comfortable place to be and your limit is now your body, your fatigue, your desire. Then you stop when you want to, not when you need to.

You have cool mornings now, but still quite nice daytime temps for doing shorter rides to sort out your comfort and bring issues to light that you need to work on over the winter. Heated gear is a wonderful thing to continue rides in cooler weather, at least w/o that white stuff on the ground.

Hi Maurizio, Just wondering if you did, or are planning your Saddle Sore ride on one of your trikes? Don't be intimidated by the mileage, just understand that it's a progressive process. No one just went out and rode 1000 miles. Most worked up to it by riding shorter rides, seeing where the discomfort was, what issues developed and doing things to improve or correct those issues, then going for another ride. Slowly you solve the problems and improve your comfort, and just your own endurance until one day you realize you have made your machine the most comfortable place to be and your limit is now your body, your fatigue, your desire. Then you stop when you want to, not when you need to.

You have cool mornings now, but still quite nice daytime temps for doing shorter rides to sort out your comfort and bring issues to light that you need to work on over the winter. Heated gear is a wonderful thing to continue rides in cooler weather, at least w/o that white stuff on the ground.
Sir, if there's one thing I've learned in my life is to hear what people more wise than me would suggest. I really thank you for these useful considerations and be sure that it's exactly what I'm doing to achieve my first goal (SS1600k) and to raise my mileage endurance in general. Progression is the key but please keep sharing your knowledge. Many thanks Eric.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You will achieve your goal. I look forward to reading your ride report when you do. You have some unique challenges, but nothing insurmountable. All the more fun to prove you can do it.

I know of other riders with similar issues. A well known US IBA member, Bob Mutchler, rides a side car rig due to polio as a child that has left him needing crutches to get around. He's an IBR finisher as well. He has shown that he could do far better than just keep up with other riders and is an outstanding individual as well. Its rarely been easy for Bob, but he has accomplished amazing things in his life and his riding.

If you are interested in more detailed suggestions on things to consider in trike/rider prep for your SS1600k ride, feel free to PM me and we can talk about what your needs are, things like food/hydration and the realities/possibilities of fuel stops, etc. The average speed for a SS1600k is only 67 km/h. It's not the speed you travel at, it's all about managing your stopped time. There is plenty of time to have a nice lunch stop and to enjoy the ride, as long as you can remain comfortable on the trike. Most people take 18-20 hours for their first SS1600k. Some go so far as to have a bail out plan in place to do a BB2500K ride if the SS1600k is not working out. Being able to get some sleep and get back on the trike and finish a 2500k in 36 hours is a nice way to salvage your ride if things happen and the 1600k in 24 hours isn't working out.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Don't know why if popped in my head today; but has anyone done a certified ride on a Slingshot which is classified as a motorcycle even though the rider/driver? is sitting in a seat versus on and steers with a wheel?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Don't know why if popped in my head today; but has anyone done a certified ride on a Slingshot which is classified as a motorcycle even though the rider/driver? is sitting in a seat versus on and steers with a wheel?
Although a few have sneaked through, the Slingshot is not approved for IBA certificate rides. With side-by-side seating and a steering wheel it is much more like a car than a bike, notwithstanding how it is registered.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
It certainly seems so, given the content of the rest of their posts. They clearly don't seem to understand the target audience of this forum.

At the very least, it's thread hijacking.