Triumph Rocket three

I'm headed over to buy a 2015 Yamaha FJR ES later today, a nice upgrade for my Yamaha fz8, which I did my first 1000 on. I noticed they have a couple of Triumph Rocket 3. One of them is a 2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring, 13000 miles on it. One is a 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 touring with 26 miles. The 08 is more in my price range. I know the reliability on the FJR, not familiar with the rocket, really looks cool, plan on doing many more ironbutt events. Anybody have any input on this? Thanks, Pat Pitts

Hi I have an 04 Rocket with 18,000 miles and I have done plenty of touring on it.
Mine is absolutely naked as the first ones had no extras no windscreens no panniers nothing
However for luggage I use a waterproof kappa brand stuff sack and cargo netting to secure it to the rear
Pillion seat and it holds a lot of stuff!
For touring I never had any issues even in remote areas but the fuel consumption is atrocious I think you can compare
The classic Rocket 3 to a BMW 330 series fuel consumption wise ! For us petrol is much more expensive than in the US
So mileage runs will be quite expensive especially when you consider the size of the rear tyre and the expense of replacing it after 10,000 km plus minus it gets even more expensive.
The engine runs hot and it hates idling in traffic but once you are on the highway the massive front radiator dissipates the heat but the engine still melted holes in my Can-am rotax riding trousers on the right leg.
I've thrown away loads of trousers I think flame proof pants are needed.
The acceleration is something you never tire of and you can cruise, depending on your helemet style ...I wear full face Arai corsair ..at 180kph without much buffeting but really comfortable is around 140 to 160 kph.
Obviously extras like windscreens and running boards make the ride more enjoyable but if you are a purist
You don't need any extras. The riding position is much more upright than a traditional cruiser and very comfortable especially with a low center of gravity. Handling, despite the massive size is on par with a 750 cc
This is a fast cruiser and it's an excellent long distance ride in the dry but handles wet weather ok if you are gentle on the throttle. It's a bit like riding your living room couch albeit one with a jet engine underneath.
The most frustrating thing for me is my model came with no fuel guage. So when the light comes on you have about half a tank so you are always filling up at every opportunity in a country where distances between cities are vast. You can get aftermarket guages and later models have them as standard.
If I should crash or drop it I will have to leave it in the road and call a tow truck to pick it up.
I love my Rocket but it's just not economical to do challenges on for most people.
As a fast cruiser it has no competition over short to medium distances up to say 100 miles
It's definitely not everyone's cuppa tea but it gets attention and gasps wherever you park and this can become a nuisance
As you are forever answering questions when you re trying to ride.
These are just my opinions and experiences but if I had to say one thing that stands out it's definitely the 100% reliablity
Triumph doesn't offer breakdown services or roadside assist for a reason!
Ride safe
Diamond coaster

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Pat, I have done long days and multiples of them on the rocket touring. Its a great bike and mine is not for sale, however for a LD machine, I'd buy the FJR.
Yeah, if one would like pull like... ...3000kms in a day or so, your just have to have a sports tourer.
A Rocket 3 just won't suffice. Everybody knows this.

Naughty Bart

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Frog (Dave Barwood) has done some incredible IBA rides on his Rocket III in Australia:

His R3 has an auxiliary fuel tank on the back, ample spotlights up front and even a FLIR camera to see the hopping critters in the dark.

I have seen Frog's rocket up close. it the things you cant see in the photos that are really neat.. i am sure Dave will correct me, but i think this is the one he put the 200+hp engine in. just because he could..

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have 75,000 miles on my 2006 Rocket 3 which includes numerous IBA rides. The engine will run all day/all night. The Touring model is truly a nice bike. My biggest gripe with Triumph is having the audacity to call it a 'Touring' and it doesn't come with a factory cruise control. Inexcusable in my eyes.

For serious LD riding, however, I have bought the perfect mount for LD Rallying, the Triumph Trophy. Great mileage on regular gas, better ergos than the RT or FJR (in my humble opinion), outstanding weather protection, price.

I have 75,000 miles on my 2006 Rocket 3 which includes numerous IBA rides. The engine will run all day/all night. The Touring model is truly a nice bike. My biggest gripe with Triumph is having the audacity to call it a 'Touring' and it doesn't come with a factory cruise control. Inexcusable in my eyes.

For serious LD riding, however, I have bought the perfect mount for LD Rallying, the Triumph Trophy. Great mileage on regular gas, better ergos than the RT or FJR (in my humble opinion), outstanding weather protection, price.

I bought the FJR and love it, but I will have a Rocket one day. I can’t help but smile when I look at it.

The single reason why for my comment is fuel burn.. at 130+( or 80 mph) it loves a drink..
It isnt such a problem here in oz with our 110kmh limits, with the touring loaded and two of us on it, we get around 320 - 350kmh to the 24 litres.. i can live with that..
can i live on it for days, yes and its comfy.
but to run 600km on it at 130 - 135 takes over 55 litres.. like i said, it loves a drink.