Troubles in Europe

More a discussion point than a worry, but what are your views on the troubles/atrocities in Europe in relation to our RTEs?

Personally my view is that we don't stay in one place long enough for it to be a major concern, however the poor souls in Nice probably thought they were safe.

I currently see no reason to cancel, just to have a heightened awareness of potential troubles.

Your considered thoughts appreciated.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Life is dangerous Mike and the time I start fretting about people trying to kill me or being in the wrong place at the wrong time will mark the point at which life ends, as far as I'm concerned.

We're not safe anywhere so whether we choose to visit other countries where we're not safe, or we choose to hide under the dining room table, will make no difference.

I propose that we ignore the terrorists as that might piss them off, unlike anything else we can do.

May I take the liberty, especially under these circumstances, to remind you of some great words, spoken by an UK politician:

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs – Victory in spite of all terror – Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.”

Even though this quotation is 76 years old, it is still an apt quotation.

Don’t let us fear this bloody reapers. Let’s ride on.

orestesdjc

Premier Member
I've flown, travelled by ferry and through long alpine tunnels. I've been in London on 3 occasions during terrorist attacks. I occasionally worked in Belfast during the late 70's. Lots of people have died or been terribly injured by all these. I'll just carry on living my life doing the things I enjoy until I am unable to carry on. It's the last that worries me.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
If you consider the probability to have an accident in traffic (with possible fatal consequences), any "threat" like this gets totally negligible...