Trying to salvage a C to C 50

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Trying to salvage a C2C 50 I blew a tire Fort Stockton Texas nearest tire is in Odessa have AAA coming question is do I got to come back to the exact same spot Odessa to San Diego is actually 30 or 40 miles farther to San Diego than I am now

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Russ - when I have experienced mechanical issues requiring a tow - I have resumed the trip from the location where I stopped riding. On one occassion; I had to ride back approximately 40 miles to where the bike stopped; pulled a receipt - and resumed. Do the best you can with receipts. I have even submitted the receipts from the repair center to show times as well. Good luck. The important thing here is you are safe; and once the bike is repaired - you can reassess what is still possible. Good luck.

Bill Lumberg

Premier Member
There are a lot worse places to break down, relatively speaking. Do you think you lost air and the tire failed due to overheating, or was it more of the instantaneous variety? I know there's probably no way to know.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Trying to salvage a C2C 50 I blew a tire Fort Stockton Texas nearest tire is in Odessa have AAA coming question is do I got to come back to the exact same spot Odessa to San Diego is actually 30 or 40 miles farther to San Diego than I am now
You should go back to the spot where you stopped and continue from there.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I would take the sage advice of both Ira and Scott above. Yes, you'll need to backtrack, again, the point is you have a story to tell, do the best you can within the requirements of the ride.

If you were close to BBG pace for the first part of the ride, you'll have some hours to be able to salvage the ride. Scott's points on using the time wisely will help later on.

Goof luck!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Its not so much backtracking as it is out of the way. I'm about 970 miles from the finish and the reapair shop is 1015 I think direct to get back to fort Stockton would take me 40 or so miles out of the way.

As the time dwindles it may not matter

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are a lot worse places to break down, relatively speaking. Do you think you lost air and the tire failed due to overheating, or was it more of the instantaneous variety? I know there's probably no way to know.
I heard felt a pop and the bike got squirrelly. I find out when they pull it off

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Its not so much backtracking as it is out of the way. I'm about 970 miles from the finish and the reapair shop is 1015 I think direct to get back to fort Stockton would take me 40 or so miles out of the way. Please

As the time dwindles it may not matter
Russ - completely understand. Been in the same situation where resuming the ride from the repair location would actually add miles versus from the breakdown location. It is just the nature of the rules to afford a consistent process because in some instances having the bike towed could result in less miles to ride requiring the verification team to take extra steps and make judgement calls. Good luck.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It mattered not but I went back to the pick up point any way. From the pop to return there was about 6 hours no way to make that up in the time I had left.

I pretty much knew the answer before I asked the question but figured I might as will get an official ruling.

I will manage to turn it into a couple Saddle Sores, turns out Odessa Tx to San Diego is just about a perfect Saddle Sore.

Rule #1 is to return home safely. While it is disappointing you will not get the 50cc on this trip - now that it is off table; you can relax and enjoy the ride. Not sure how long you are in San Diego; but I'm good for a beer or cup of coffee if you have the time. Good luck.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Been off here for a day or two, getting settled in at work in San Diego. Although the 50CC went out the window I have documentation for 3 SS1000's NH to Ga, Ga to Tx, and Tx to Ca. I have to ride home at the end of April so hopefully the tire and other gremlins will stay away. I besides the tire I my trailer light isolator decided to melt itself down in Ga while I was sleeping and although it happened before the 50CC it bears some responsibility for the in-completion. My plan although somewhat loose was to get to Kings Bay check into the hotel hang a Do Not Disturb Sign, hit the skid and sleep until I woke up naturally then depart for Ca. Well after 3 or 4 hours I was woken by a pounding on the door to inform me that I hand left my taillights on. Which as I'm sure you all know just ain't right. Well it turns out my trailer light was melting down and somehow back feeding just the lower taillights on the wing. I actually found it after seeing a whiff of smoke, bit it did take a couple hours to figure out and then remove. Off the clock at that point but it blew the whole rest plan. I tried to lay down and get some more rest but it was fitful so I went over an checked out the start location I didn't have to mess around at O dark thirty. I got a couple hours more sleep but failed open around 11 and just couldn't doze back off so I just got up and start ed out only to start failing shut after the first gas stop. So I stopped and did the IB Hotel deal twice getting about an hour each time making up the missing two hours from before the start although now on the clock. After the two rest breaks the rest of the day was uneventful although I didn't make it to Van Horn which was my tentative rest stop, pulling in instead in Ozana behind schedule a little but still with a very doable ride from there to San Diego until that is the tire blew, the resulting 6 hour delay put it out of reach. But that is why we ride the rides anybody can put a ride on paper or computer but it's not done until your ass is in the seat and you are at the destination. In retrospect my impatience and the decision to start with out my planned rest was a mistake had I made to Van Horn there may have been and 3 hours closer to SD I may have had time to make it work at any rate I was sure wishing I had those 2 hours back. I also underestimated the effect changing time zone had on my mental gym as I was making on the route decisions realistically blown tire aside I should have left there at least an hour earlier. Bottom line is I had a good first ride of the season and enjoyed the entire trip difficulties and all.

PS Scott I'm here for a month working 6/10's at east initially and may go to 12's but we definitely should get together for coffee.

And Hats off to Golden Suzuki Honda Kawasaki Yamaha in Odessa, Tx who got me on my way with minimal delay once I arrived on their doorstep

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Nice summary, Russ - one point you made of interest to me:

I also underestimated the effect changing time zone had on my mental gym as I was making on the route decisions realistically blown tire aside I should have left there at least an hour earlier. Bottom line is I had a good first ride of the season and enjoyed the entire trip difficulties and all.
I want to think that whole "time zone management" issue can be quite challenging; it was for me on my (first, only) more-than-a-day endurance ride. Yes, been there, done that!

Even with having a clock stuck on a 'standard' timezone (in my case, home) you're still needing to know what time it is in the spot you're standing - if for no other reason that to ensure that last receipt is quasi-accurate.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did a BBG going to the Meat Lovers and I don't remember any real issues but that was just Eastern to Central and I knew where it happened. The this time it just seemed to baffle me for some reason.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I use the clock on the dash for all panning purposes and then the clock on my phone for the local time. I can usually keep it straight that way.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
There is a gentleman on the FB page today / yesterday that posted that he had a flat, was towed and did not go back to the "breakdown" point to start over again on a 48/10.

I tried to explain that I believed that he needed to go back to the point of the tow but others pondered that since this was not a "distance" ride it might not matter.

As far as I can tell ALL rides require that you go back to the breakdown point if you personally did not ride the bike the entire route, even for a 48/10, CC50, UCC50

@Ira could you comment ?

Scott Parish

Premier Member
There is a gentleman on the FB page today / yesterday that posted that he had a flat, was towed and did not go back to the "breakdown" point to start over again on a 48/10.

I tried to explain that I believed that he needed to go back to the point of the tow but others pondered that since this was not a "distance" ride it might not matter.

As far as I can tell ALL rides require that you go back to the breakdown point if you personally did not ride the bike the entire route, even for a 48/10, CC50, UCC50

@Ira could you comment ?
I agree with you Paul; but it does bring up an interesting point. I'm departing June 13th for a 48+/10. Of course I'm riding the whole way; but wonder if my ride would be certified if after riding through all lower 48 states - I took a ferry to Alaska and obtained my final ride receipt documenting a stop in Alaska within the 10 day period? It seems it would meet the requirement; but not the spirit of the ride. Also glad to know the rider did not abandon his 48/10 attempt.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff

@Ira could you comment ?
Yes, one needs to continue the ride from the point of the breakdown.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I agree with you Paul; but it does bring up an interesting point. I'm departing June 13th for a 48+/10. Of course I'm riding the whole way; but wonder if my ride would be certified if after riding through all lower 48 states - I took a ferry to Alaska and obtained my final ride receipt documenting a stop in Alaska within the 10 day period? It seems it would meet the requirement; but not the spirit of the ride. Also glad to know the rider did not abandon his 48/10 attempt.
Ferries are acceptable. But remember that the time on the ferry counts toward the time limit, but the mileage the ferry goes does not (for rides that have a minimum mileage).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We I'm back at home and although not certified at this point was able to complete the CC50 From the Submarine Base and Point Loma to the Submarine Base at Kings Bay in 45 Hrs 7 Minutes and although not part of the original plan I managed to slip the first 1580 miles in at just under 24 hrs, popped into what was a Motel 6 l
Layfayette, La a little while later and got a few hours of shut eye before heading out out to finish things up.

I wasn't without a little drama though. I've been working on the base in San Diego for the last month and the on base gas station that was my planned start and open every morning for some reason was shut down Thursday morning there was however an ATM to pull a receipt from it did require a stop for fuel so I used the Shell on Voltaire it was the quick exit from there onto I-8 that got me thinking about the BBG.

I had planned to get a room in Kings Bay for some rest but after checking 3 hotels with no vacancies I headed north did the Iron Butt hotel thing for a couple hours in South Carolina and got up to Maryland where I was looking at rain pretty much all the way home from there so having no compelling reason to finish up that night other than what would have been the fourth SS-1000 of the trip, I decided to spend the night in Delaware before heading home on Sunday morning. All in all it was a good first Motorcycle ride of the season.