Two rides, one run question?

K

K16GT

Im about to do a run from Darwin to Melbourne this weekend. I've always struggled with getting over the line for my SS1600 as common sense usually says it's on the Stuart highway, it's a long way to the next town and fatigue gets the better of me. I do how ever believe that the BB2500 with its 36 hour time limit is far more achievable for me.

Question, I know I can do two certified runs together. If I set out to complete a BB2500, but completed the SS1600 as part of it, can I simply tally up the SS1600 on the BB2500 paperwork, then add the additional 900km to it as a single form? Or do I need to complete a second lot of witness forms for a ride that I know I'm less likely to complete than the longer run?

John negus

Hi K16GT..I would imagine that if your dockets etc showed you did the 1600km in 24 hours they would only need to be an insert in your big ride documentation on completion. Good luck on your ride..I'm a newbe also and this long distance stuff gets into your system..I love it and pity that I didn't spot Ox's bike years ago to get me onto this IBR caper much earlier..Cheers and yippee..jn

tj189

Premier Member
Im about to do a run from Darwin to Melbourne this weekend. I've always struggled with getting over the line for my SS1600 as common sense usually says it's on the Stuart highway, it's a long way to the next town and fatigue gets the better of me. I do how ever believe that the BB2500 with its 36 hour time limit is far more achievable for me.

Question, I know I can do two certified runs together. If I set out to complete a BB2500, but completed the SS1600 as part of it, can I simply tally up the SS1600 on the BB2500 paperwork, then add the additional 900km to it as a single form? Or do I need to complete a second lot of witness forms for a ride that I know I'm less likely to complete than the longer run?
I think you have already picked up the following:

It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1600K and Bun-Burner 2500k on the same ride (or SS2000K and BB2500K). For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,610 kilometers and then continue on the second day and ride another 900 kilometers or more. Should you complete both the SaddleSore and Bun-Burner on the same ride and want certificates for both, please see the attached fee schedule.

The understanding here is that you are completing the SS1600K and BB2500K on the same ride , you would need one log, a start witness form completed, receipts along your route and a end witness form completed at the end of the ride, being the BB2500K. It would be suggested that receipt and an entry in your log, should you complete the SS1600K would assist in verification. Remember it is up to you to show the verification team that you did the ride you said you did.

Once you have done the BB2500K, you may be interested in doing the Centreline 36?

K

K16GT

I think you have already picked up the following:

It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1600K and Bun-Burner 2500k on the same ride (or SS2000K and BB2500K). For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,610 kilometers and then continue on the second day and ride another 900 kilometers or more. Should you complete both the SaddleSore and Bun-Burner on the same ride and want certificates for both, please see the attached fee schedule.

The understanding here is that you are completing the SS1600K and BB2500K on the same ride , you would need one log, a start witness form completed, receipts along your route and a end witness form completed at the end of the ride, being the BB2500K. It would be suggested that receipt and an entry in your log, should you complete the SS1600K would assist in verification. Remember it is up to you to show the verification team that you did the ride you said you did.

Once you have done the BB2500K, you may be interested in doing the Centreline 36?
I'd like to take a crack at the Centreline, but I hit the same stumbling block. I live about 70km south of Darwin and I just couldn't bring myself to ride all the way back into the city, to double back. I hate doubling back on any ride. If I ever do it, it'll be South to North on an interstate ride home.

Based on previous rides, this time I'll be recording all my distances from the GPS. Last time after completing the ride and realising the speedo error left me 2 kilometres short I vowed I won't make the same mistake again.

Fatman

But if you decide to not finish the BB2500, you would need a finish witness signature and receipt at the 1600km point to claim the SS1600 on its own.

K

K16GT

I figured I'm aiming for the 2500. If I got my witnesses etc then start accumulating receipts, if I made the 1600 mark in time, I'd just show or highlight this, then keep accumulating receipts to the finish.

IBA-Tiger

Good to have a documented SS1600k (i.e. Witness form @1600km plus a bit), just in case you 'fail to proceed' before you reach the 2500km mark - better than no result.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
On the way to a two up BB2500G, we knocked over an SS1600 in 14:17hrs, then an SS2000 in 18.04hrs. Just in case it went pear shaped.
Didn't claim either of them though, as our target was 2500/24 which we achieved. All in NT too. :)
Same with the 50CC, SS1600 and SS2000 completed enroute, but never claimed, as that wasn't the target.

Best wishes for your ride.

K

K16GT

I think this will be attempt number four? or five? The weather on this run is the unknown factor. The predictions through the centre are improving from 40c and thunderstorms to mostly sunny and 35c.

Every time something unplanned has happened, from a grasshopper in the eye, to not realising how far out of whack my bikes odometer was. I've had other people make me change plans, I've had weather effect runs. I know it'll happen eventually. It'll just be donmuch sweeter when it does.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
And from each attempt we learn something. Your failures are a part of that learning curve.

I usually plan to have an hour buffer up my sleeve, for hiccups along the way. It could be just weather, or a flat tyre, or a minor mechanical that needs attention. Sometimes I dip into my planned rest stop to keep that buffer if needed.
Wishing you the road gods look after you. Ride well.