UK / Europe - Ride Fuel Distance

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I keep seeing different information on post's and rules about the distance that you are allowed to ride before refuelling.

I know different Countries have local limits starting from 300 to 350 miles this of course has a Kilometre equivalent for metric Countries.

From what I've been told the UK and Europe have a 350 mile limit and this was from MK in the USA.
Phil can you please confirm this has not changed
So far all of my European rides are to the 350 mile limit and have been excepted .. (Exception ECCI Ride 300 miles)

Last edited:

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In the UK we accept 350 miles max.
I believe the Finns only allow up to 300 miles
Thanks Phil I was under that impression too...

My Question was down to a Post in Jan 2015 were the USA was quoted for a ride ..

Chiselled in stone now everyone knows ... :)

Could we also have a definitive answer on when you can ride km rides i.e. SS1600k.

For me I would suggest they must be totally in a km country. So you can't start in UK, finish in France & say its km ride. I would call that a standard SS1000, but that's just me.

Any thoughts?

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
I would say this depends on the certifying organisation. As Phil said, IBA UK uses a 350 mls limit; IBA Germany uses a 500 km (310 mls) limit.
It depends on you which certificate you go for (SS1000/SS1600k) and where you submit the ride. The only difference is the distance (+/-9km/5.6 mls).

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From my investigation into this it's were you start the ride and what is available for that Country.

I've done both km & miles in Mainland Europe but only Miles in the UK

This is how I see it, and ride too

Mainland Europe is both km & Miles, - 350 mile tank
UK is Miles, - 350 mile tank
Canada is km - 600 km tank
USA is Miles - 300 mile tank
Australia & NZ is km & Miles - 600 km tank

and other counties ? I guess it's down to if they are a Metric or Imperial system.

Robert is correct of course it's where you submit the ride .. (Finland also has a reduced tank limit)
This year I'm Planning a couple of IBA Germany rides which of course will be done under their rules and submitted to them.

Ref what ride can I apply for (or do)

So if I start in Paris and finish in Scotland I can choose km or Miles
Scotland to Paris is Miles (the majority of miles is done in the UK and this could be the decider if it's a UK or a European ride)

May help or be ripped apart ?

Very difficult I suppose to come to an exact answer.

Europe to UK really should be KMs I suppose, UK to Europe miles, but if you rode Europe Uk who would you send ride to for verification?

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Again, you have to respect the guidelines of the organisation where you submit the ride. You can go anywhere, but you need apply the limit of the certifying IBA group.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Personally I do mile rides in mile countries and KM rides in KM countries.
In the UK we have always excepted either if you ride from UK into mainland Europe and vice versa.
It has never made sense to me to do a KM ride in a miles country and vice versa

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I would say this depends on the certifying organisation. As Phil said, IBA UK uses a 350 mls limit; IBA Germany uses a 500 km (310 mls) limit.
It depends on you which certificate you go for (SS1000/SS1600k) and where you submit the ride. The only difference is the distance (+/-9km/5.6 mls).

IBA Sweden is using the 300-miles rule too.
In a kilometer country... :D

Now for my tuppence worth and a spanner in the works to boot...
By rights it should be if you fill up in litres you are running metric and ride should be verified in km. If you can find a pump pumping gallons then as you are imperial the ride should be verified in miles. ROFPML

Please don't tell me they use litres in US as that'll blow my argument out of the water.

Be lucky, your friendly s**tstirrer!

Coxy

Mr Brit Butt Tour
IBA Member
I know the Finns do now!!!!!on the Nordkapp to Gibraltar 72 hours but on there rules on their website in English for the ride they say fuel rec in Honningsvag (the evening before the start) Witness statement and rec for the visitors center as you start the ride.
You can take any route you wish to(they give 2 exp) at Gibraltar you need fuel rec and witness statement and within 72 hours and that's it.
Their website has nothing about fuel rec on the way or total mileage limits.
I did get all the rec for every stop but they were over 300 miles in some cases but you need to get on you know.
They also said two of the rec were credit card rec and not fuel rec but both had time,date and place on them.
Well that's that hy-ho but don't get caught out like me have fun JC.