Upcoming I-8 restrictions in Arizona

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Info for anyone prepping for a cross-country jaunt. There will be a six week impact but this email only addresses the work being performed during the 6/11 - 7/8 time frame.

Lane restrictions on Interstate 8 near Paloma Road scheduled next week

The Arizona Department of Transportation advises drivers to plan ahead for lane restrictions on Interstate 8 between Paloma and Painted Rock Dam roads beginning Monday, June 11, and remaining in place for six weeks.

Contractors are scheduled to begin pavement improvements; install new guardrail; work on the Painted Rock traffic interchange overpass; build up the roadway shoulder; and install new pavement markings. The work is part of a project to improve pavement on 10 miles of I-8 in Maricopa County.

The following restrictions will take place in the work zone 24 hours a day seven days a week beginning Monday, June 11, at 7 a.m. and ending Sunday, July 8.
  • I-8 will be narrowed to one lane in both directions between Paloma and Painted Rock Dam roads.
  • A 12-foot-vehicle width restriction will be in place.
Drivers should allow extra travel time and plan for delays while construction is underway. Drivers are asked to use caution, obey posted speed limits and traffic control devices and use caution around construction personnel equipment.

The project is scheduled to be completed by spring 2019. Learn more on the project webpage www.azdot.gov/I8PavementImprovements

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
If you are planning to travel that area during the construction time frame I highly suggest you try to plan for a late night ride. If you are stuck in stop-n-go traffic in that part of AZ in June or July during the day you are likely to see 110-118 temps.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
The Arizona Department of Transportation advises drivers to plan for the following nighttime restriction on I-10 near the I-8 interchange in Casa Grande:

• East- and westbound I-10 will be reduced to one lane between mileposts 197 and 199 (left lane closed) from 9 p.m. Friday, July 13, to 7 a.m. Saturday, July 14.

• A 12-foot vehicle-width restriction will also be in place.

Work is occurring in conjunction with the project to widen I-10 between I-8 and Earley Road.