Video Camera Suggestions

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I have a bit of unexpected cash in my pocket burning a hole!

I'm looking for a movie camera to fit my bike. I observe for IAM and would love to record 'issues' of my associate and after easy work on my PC send the evidence to the associate so they can see what I'm criticising. The things I'd like are:

Powered from Bike.
Ability to stop and start recording on the fly.
Easy software to work on recorded content.
Video showing Speed.

I think I want/need a Garmin Virb XE and of course a new Zumo 590 to control it from.

Anybody shed any light on the plethoria of acceptable solutions out there?

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
If you connect it to the bike, you'll get all the vibrations from it. You get a more steady picture if you attach it to your helmet or your chest.
I use a GoPro.

I use the drift ghost camera. Mounted either to bike or side of helmet no issues with vibration on bike. You can power it via USB port on bike and has remote control. You can also have it on loop record

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
I have a Contour with GPS that works well but need to carry spare battery's but the GPS can be useful to see where you been and trace land marks meant Pubs lol

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I think the problem I have is no one has the exact set up I'm considering and there is no clear path to the 'right' set up; just so many options. Some good input here, which I appreciate.

Back to basics in I need to decide why I want a camera:

- Help to show associates their 'problems'
- Evidence should an accident happen
- Ease of use
- Ease of manipulating recorded content

Pretty much as I said in my first post!

Cheers guys, lovely videos.

I think the problem I have is no one has the exact set up I'm considering and there is no clear path to the 'right' set up; just so many options. Some good input here, which I appreciate.

Back to basics in I need to decide why I want a camera:

- Help to show associates their 'problems'
- Evidence should an accident happen
- Ease of use
- Ease of manipulating recorded content

Pretty much as I said in my first post!

Cheers guys, lovely videos.
That is exactly what l use mine for, observing on the IAM ride along with a drift mic in the helmet to do a running cometary to point out things as they happen

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Dave, this might not be the set-up you're after but here's my ten penneth:

I wanted a camera mainly for accident footage. I use a Roadhawk Ride mounted securely onto my front crash bar. It's hard wired and fires up and records as soon as the bike does. Maybe not as versatile as a head camera but this wasn't my main concern. If I want to view footage of a ride I simply unscrew the back where the power lead connects to and remove the 32GB micro SD card. It saves files in 5 minute segments which is easy to find if you're looking back over several hours worth of filming.

There's no real signs of any vibration on playback. It's more of a fit-and-forget type system but it was only £100 so could always be backed up with a helmet camera too.

EDIT - The latest March/April 2016 copy of Adventure Bike Rider magazine just dropped through my letterbox and they've got a review of 11 different Action cameras.

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
"EDIT - The latest March/April 2016 copy of Adventure Bike Rider magazine just dropped through my letterbox and they've got a review of 11 different Action cameras."

I just got a copy of that very publication, not digested it all yet but having had ten units back to back I must consider their advice.

Apparently the TomTom Bandit looks like what I want. Perhaps even having the Roadhawk ride for the evidence type job.

I'll keep researching.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Upon reading the article in Adventure Rider I have put in an offer for a TomTom Bandit. I already downloaded the App and it looks like just what I'm after. The only unticked box is continuous powered evidence gathering function. The ability to show an associate a marked clip at the end of the ride wins out for me.

When I have one I'll report back.