Viewing imported waypoints on Garmin (Rally)

Howdy all!

First time caller, long time listener here. Completed two SS1000s (on a Vespa GTS 300) and have since upgraded to an '21 Honda NC750X. Getting ready for my first Rally (Heart of Texas) this weekend and I've been playing with my Garmin Zumo 396, Basecamp, and generally preparing for this ride. I was able to create the route I want to try (and a couple extras with fewer points in case the days get away from me). I then imported my 3 routes and all of the waypoints into the Garmin with no problems.

I can see all of my routes under Trip Planner and they look great. I can see all of my waypoints under "saved." But what I can't figure out is how to view my waypoints on a map view. I would like to be able to zoom out on a map and see what's nearby as the day progresses (I'm thinking if I finish earlier than I anticipate and want to see if there are any additional bonus locations nearby). How do I see the waypoints (bonus locations) on a map on the actual Garmin unit?

Thanks so much!

Russ Black

Premier Member
I have several flavors of Garmins and none do that but they all do this next best thing. Where To>Saved>All Saved Places will show the distance and direction from you from closest to most distance of your saved places. Select which everone your interested in and a drop down will appear below it. Routes, I, and Go. I will show it on the map and you can zoom out using the "-" and you will be able to see where it is in relationship to your current location and route. If you like it then you can either choose Route or Go to add it to your current route. Route might give you a few routing options to choose from. Go route per your settings.

Thanks Marc & Russ. Helpful, but disappointing. I know this is a super rare instance (mostly just Rally scenario), but that seems like a miss from Garmin? Since I'll have my laptop on the bike with me, I guess I can just check Basecamp at a gas station, but that adds minutes to an already quickly moving event.

Thanks for comfirming this for me. I'll gladly take any additional rally experience anyone has--especially in relation to GPS. ;)

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Russ offered the best way, just be looking for saved points as you progress, to see whats near. This is often why riders will have 2 units running, one with a planned route and the other used to plot what-if additions so you can add in an additional stop on the 2nd, then compare ETAs with your original plan to decide if taking that exit is worth it.
Just be wary that sometimes, until routed, these points and their distance can be shown 'as the crow flies' and once routed the distance and time may adjust.

Some units do show points on a larger zoomed out map, like my old Montana, but I have not found that to be much help especially on longer/bigger geography rallies.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Marc & Russ. Helpful, but disappointing. I know this is a super rare instance (mostly just Rally scenario), but that seems like a miss from Garmin? Since I'll have my laptop on the bike with me, I guess I can just check Basecamp at a gas station, but that adds minutes to an already quickly moving event.

Thanks for comfirming this for me. I'll gladly take any additional rally experience anyone has--especially in relation to GPS. ;)
If Garmin listened to what ralliers wanted their GPS units would not look like they do today :)

What you described you are looking for is one of the reasons why most of us run 2 GPS units. One to get us to the next bonus and the other to show the route and do what if scenarios

I can say that it is rare during a rally that I want the view you are seeking. If I do that means I messed up big time and I am probably in need of a place to sit and think and overhaul my plan.

One thing to check into, I believe there are apps for your phone where you can load a GPX file and see the locations. Maybe that would get you what you need.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If Garmin listened to what ralliers wanted their GPS units would not look like they do today :)

What you described you are looking for is one of the reasons why most of us run 2 GPS units. One to get us to the next bonus and the other to show the route and do what if scenarios

I can say that it is rare during a rally that I want the view you are seeking. If I do that means I messed up big time and I am probably in need of a place to sit and think and overhaul my plan.

One thing to check into, I believe there are apps for your phone where you can load a GPX file and see the locations. Maybe that would get you what you need.
Try out the GPX Viewer app on your phone. It will let you view bonuses near and far.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Howdy all!

First time caller, long time listener here. Completed two SS1000s (on a Vespa GTS 300) and have since upgraded to an '21 Honda NC750X. Getting ready for my first Rally (Heart of Texas) this weekend and I've been playing with my Garmin Zumo 396, Basecamp, and generally preparing for this ride. I was able to create the route I want to try (and a couple extras with fewer points in case the days get away from me). I then imported my 3 routes and all of the waypoints into the Garmin with no problems.

I can see all of my routes under Trip Planner and they look great. I can see all of my waypoints under "saved." But what I can't figure out is how to view my waypoints on a map view. I would like to be able to zoom out on a map and see what's nearby as the day progresses (I'm thinking if I finish earlier than I anticipate and want to see if there are any additional bonus locations nearby). How do I see the waypoints (bonus locations) on a map on the actual Garmin unit?

Thanks so much!
Some of the new Garmin GPS’s added back in an old feature that allows you to see the waypoints / bonuses zoomed out to 50 miles.

One of them is the Garmin Zumo XT, see the screenshot below. The green heart icon is a waypoint.

6D65302F-1DB9-4B53-87B9-436A3F377AC7.jpeg

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@TXBootScoot ha! Yes, you can get them all pulled in.. I struggled with this during HoT prep myself.. seems you have to use the Explore options (and have your phone connected for the Garmin Explore connectivity :eyeroll:) but going through the Explore option on the XT allows you to pull in the waypoints AS WELL as your current trip

This might seem like a dumb question but here I go. I've been trying to get my route from google maps on the computer to my garmin. Watched several youtube videos but just can't seem to get it done. Garmin basecamp I just don't get. I can manually put in all the addresses into garmin but google maps is so easy.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Build your route using Google MyMaps. Export as kml, go to www.gpsbabble.com and upload your kml and convert to gpx. Take the exported gpx and open in Basecamp or drop right into your GPS when connected to your PC , save to an SD card and insert the SD card into your GPS and import via the GPS or save to a cloud drive , such as google drive then share the gpx file via your phone to your gps if it supports Garmin drive.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Howdy all!

Thanks so much!
I use the “list” and “map” tabs on my 396 to view my saved waypoints during rallies.
If this is what you are referring to, it may help:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?f...&productID=610131&searchQuery=List&tab=topics

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This might seem like a dumb question but here I go. I've been trying to get my route from google maps on the computer to my garmin. Watched several youtube videos but just can't seem to get it done. Garmin basecamp I just don't get. I can manually put in all the addresses into garmin but google maps is so easy.
I am holding a seminar today, Tuesday, May 10, at 6:00 PM east coast time that includes information on using Basecamp and my rally planning spreadsheets.

If you want to join us send me an email to [email protected] and I will send you the Zoom meeting invite.

TomMcD

Will it be recorded so someone (like myself) who wouldn't be able to attend can watch it later?

I am holding a seminar today, Tuesday, May 10, at 6:00 PM east coast time that includes information on using Basecamp and my rally planning spreadsheets.

If you want to join us send me an email to [email protected] and I will send you the Zoom meeting invite.