Weather protection for radar detectors

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I've been thinking lately about radar/laser detectors. From what I've seen, the Valentine detector and the Adaptive TPX (the two I'm leaning towards) don't appear to be weather resistant in any great measure, so I've been wondering what kinds of semi-permanent solutions people are using for protection (I don't mean Ziploc bags). I know that using opaque lids (like a repurposed Tupperware bowl) will affect laser performance, so it would have to be something with clear windows.

And since we're on the topic, what's the word on the street about the Valentine and the TPX? Those seem to be the ones I see used frequently, but are there other worthwhile options?

Auburn

Premier Member
I leave the Valentine 1 out in the rain. If it gets heavy, then I will put it away. I do put some duct tape over the power inlet to keep water out of there. But it has taken some pretty good rains and not had any issues.

I have looked for a plastic cover to go over it but have not found one. Maybe someone knows of one.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
One idea I found was THIS with a clear end installed, welding shield insert claimed to fit well.

The other thought is remote display and install the detector in a protected area. I've seen a few installed behind the headlight lens on BMWs.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've always just velcroed my V-1 to the top of the shelf I installed over the dash on my bikes for years.

I've always figured if it was rains so hard that the V-1 was getting wet while I was rolling, I COULD pull it off and stick it in my tankbag at a gas stop - after turning it off as soon as I saw it was getting too wet. Been doing so for an awful long time and through some seriously wet weather.

I have yet to remove it due to weather....¯\_(?)_/¯

Auburn

Premier Member
I've always just velcroed my V-1 to the top of the shelf I installed over the dash on my bikes for years.

I've always figured if it was rains so hard that the V-1 was getting wet while I was rolling, I COULD pull it off and stick it in my tankbag at a gas stop - after turning it off as soon as I saw it was getting too wet. Been doing so for an awful long time and through some seriously wet weather.

I have yet to remove it due to weather....¯\_(?)_/¯
Same here, have not had to remove due to weather yet.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The TPX advertises as weather/water proof (?). I dont know how well the TPX performs in the real world, but have considered it for the weatherproofing aspect only.
I have a plastic cover/box that is no longer sold, or so I am told that protects the V1. I much prefer the arrows of the V1 versus the general alarm that something is out there somewhere.

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
One idea I found was THIS with a clear end installed, welding shield insert claimed to fit well.

The other thought is remote display and install the detector in a protected area. I've seen a few installed behind the headlight lens on BMWs.
Eric, this precisely the box I chose to mount my V1 in. I cut the box shorter to allow just enough room for the detector itself. Discarding the end caps I purchased/cut tinted lexan to enclose the whole deal. When it came to mounting, I chose a spot above my right mirror on the RT. Having it out there along with the lexan being tinted reading the display is nearly impossible. That's where the remote display came in handy. Replacing my left speaker housing with another sheet of lexan my remote display, multiple toggle switches made a home. Detector is just as responsive as before without the enclosure.

Auburn

Premier Member
Eric, this precisely the box I chose to mount my V1 in. I cut the box shorter to allow just enough room for the detector itself. Discarding the end caps I purchased/cut tinted lexan to enclose the whole deal. When it came to mounting, I chose a spot above my right mirror on the RT. Having it out there along with the lexan being tinted reading the display is nearly impossible. That's where the remote display came in handy. Replacing my left speaker housing with another sheet of lexan my remote display, multiple toggle switches made a home. Detector is just as responsive as before without the enclosure.
Pictures?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>And since we're on the topic, what's the word on the street about the Valentine and the TPX? Those seem to be the ones I see used frequently, but are there other worthwhile options?
Uniden.

I have a several-year-old R1 that's done most of it's duty on the bike; zero issues.

c10

TPX performs outstanding . I ran my 1st one for 9 years and uncounted miles in all weather from freezing to total all day down pours . Wayne the owner of TPX gave me a new unit earlier this year when mine died. We believe since it had a rattle when shock that vibration over the years and countless off road miss haps ( crashes ) were the cause .
TPX is the only unit designed around , and for motorcycling . I have many more phots of the TPX in use but all are to large for this forum . 20220306_113237.jpg 1st iron butt rain stop 3.JPG Real speed.JPG