Weatherproof GPS Box

Ron

Historically, I've done all my GPS routing on my phone (with it being inside a saddle bag or something). Recently, I remembered I had a Garmin Nuvi 40LM sitting in my vehicle, unused. What I would like to do is add it to a motorcycle, with a waterproof case. Additionally, I'd like for there to be enough room for me to fit in the 12V to 5V adapter required to power the GPS, with a panel mount SAE connector to get 12V inside the waterproof case. Does anyone have suggestions on a waterproof case big enough to fit all of this, and ideally be hard case (to facilitate easier mounting to a RAM mount)?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Not sure what bike you ride, but if the GPS lives behind a windscreen, a zip loc baggie and some rubber bands work well. I've been using a Garmin dezl 760 in a Ram Cradle for 5 years and only bag it when it's going to be very wet all day. No issues. I did duct tape over the ports. The Ram cradle helps too. Even survived Alaska/Yukon for 30 days with rain every other day.

Turns out there are several options for waterproof cases with touch screen friendly set ups for the 40LM.
LINK Maybe this one - LINK2 Some of the others don't support 12V power during use, but could be used in a more basic mount like an X mount with a tether. Most of the 12V to 5V power adapters are potted and sealed and fine in the rain. I don't bother to protect those and it's been fine.

Worth a try? YouTube link on how to waterproof a Nuvi for motorcycle use.

Last edited:

Ron

This would be going on multiple motorcycles (Dirtbike, FJR, Harley), so not all have protection of a wind screen. On your bike, did you cover the adapter from 12V to 5V as well?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This would be going on multiple motorcycles (Dirtbike, FJR, Harley), so not all have protection of a wind screen. On your bike, did you cover the adapter from 12V to 5V as well?
No, it lived behind the windscreen with the transmitter dongle dual locked to the top of the GPS Ram cradle. One single time, I did get enough rain to cause the voltmeter to go wonky until things dried out, but the power and dongle to the GPS continued to work just fine. The adapter was waterproof on it's own, (sealed unit). Just something I picked up on eBay or Amazon.

Ron

I did find something similar to your RAM idea.. RAM actually makes their own "aqua box". They have a hole in the center that allows you to bring in cables, so my plan is to put a GPS inside that box, and put silicone around the cable to seal the box permanently. If I do have over-heating issues, my backup plan is to go back to a cradle mount and use your "cover the gps with sandwhich bag" idea.

Ron

Follow-up Question: For powering the device, you mentioned you had sealed connections. Can I get pictures of your setup or something? Otherwise, I was thinking of having a cigarette lighter (with a plug when not used) that would be available to power. I could grab a cigarette plug that goes directly to whatever USB, along with some dielectric grease in there to keep moisture out. Any feedback on that?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Cig lighter plugs tend to vibrate out. Use a Powerlet port, (BMW style or John Deere too), they lock in place. LINK they have kits or you can buy the parts and roll your own. Or ebay/Amazon for stuff too. I used something like this one to power my transmitter dongle. Just wired it to my accessory fuse block so it was switched power, then to the outlet.

On the GPS, just use a Direct Hardwire Kit for your Nuvi. That simplifies a lot of things. You use plug in the GPS and you have power. No need to have an outlet or worry about water intrusion except for the GPS itself. A little dielectric grease is not a bad thing. With the plug to the GPS protected from direct wind/rain I haven't had issues with just plugging the power cord in. It's not a big draw, so you could potentially tap into a switched power source if you didn't have other reasons to wire in an aux fuse block.

Pictures... sorry. Sold the bike with that on it last week.

The simple thing for your Nuvi is the direct hardwire kit, some silicone RTV around the edges of the screen like the YouTube video or a waterproof box from Ram or whomever and the baggie if it's going to be a frog strangler all day.

Ron

I think I may have found a better solution.. they make waterproof USB cables that are screw in. I hate myself sometimes.

Anyways, along with your suggestion of using a hardwire kit, I'd splice it into a panel mount waterproof USB. Simple, and relatively cheap.

Thanks for your help!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think I may have found a better solution.. they make waterproof USB cables that are screw in. I hate myself sometimes.

Anyways, along with your suggestion of using a hardwire kit, I'd splice it into a panel mount waterproof USB. Simple, and relatively cheap.

Thanks for your help!
Oh fine, so tease us with something interesting, but no link. Waterproof USB cables you say...

Ron

I'm caveating this like CRAZY, so please bear that in mind. What this product does is it seals a common interface (I.e, like a panel that has a cruise control module, heated grip controller, etc). It'll be up to the user to seal the other ends - I.e. the ends that connect to a 5V power source or to a different USB end (this is typically achieved with soldering wires together and using a ton of heat shrink).

From my experience, this should be enough to make everything sealed. Anything custom-built won't get you an immersion rating - but it'll be sufficient enough for water resistance

Waterproof USB Mate
USB Cap

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I see where you're going, but... you're adding another connection to the mix. K.I.S.S. The hardwire kit gives you sheltered power from the bike directly to the GPS. One plug to worry about, which should be sheltered to a degree.

I do love my panel mounted Co-Ax and SAE connections. Simple, clean, pulls out w/o damage if I dis-mount the bike and walk away forgetting that I'm plugged into the bike. (heated gear)

But for the GPS, it's over kill, IMHO. :)

Ron

The primary reason for complicating things is to allow flexibility between bikes and use cases. With this, all I have to do is unscrew my RAM mount and power cable and I can enter my hotel. As well, I can easily adapt this setup/concept to be replicated on my other bikes if I need/want to. (Specifically, I can use it on my Harley for IBA rides when I'm by myself. Or I can easily replicate this for my phone). If I were to go with a straight SAE connector, I'd have to hide the converter somewhere for every application.

The secondary reason is I like "clean, hidden, and modular" solutions. I know it drives complexity, but I find beauty in it and I love the challenge.