Wendy and Ians wild idea, a 100,000 mile summer

tabledrain

IBR Finisher
In the beginning there was an idea. Ride to all the contiguous USA states including Alaska and DC( designated a state for the purpose of this ride) in alphabetical order visiting the one place each state only has one of, the state capital building. This morphed into the same ride in Australia, a much simpler route but in many ways it was an even more difficult ride in spite of only having 8 stops across 16000 km. I named these rides the ACE series, Alphabetical Capitals Expedition.

This started off as a one man ride. Life however had other ideas. During the 2019 IBR Wendy Crockett and I rode a large part of that rally together, completely unscripted and unplanned, no comms connected, our rhythms of fuel and sleep really, really closely aligned. We talked about this phenomenon, we are both solo riders who, typical of LD riders, generally prefer riding alone especially during some thing like an IBR.
Later in 2019, I showed Wendy the ride plan I had and just like, we decided to ride it together. Australia first, USA second, 2022 was the target year.
That was lucky as it turned out, the world took a dump on everyone and we bided our time with Wendy departing the USA on April 1st, it seemed an appropriate date to our sense of humour given the planned undertaking.

The 21 days I led our expedition in OZ through April pales into insignificance to the 119 days Wendy led as we traversed the USA from the 3rd week of May onwards. As we rode this adventure she kept referring to herself as the secretary but I call her the Undisputed Queen of Long Distance Motorcycling.
Without her constant guidance, this ride if ridden as a solo rider would have been over at day 89 with only 30000 miles and a very high degree of dissatisfaction.
We matched each other in resourcefulness and resilience, our strengths complementing each other as we worked the daily issues and discussions. We had support from a small group of friends that when needed stepped up to give us the help required in moments of need. Some of the assistance required was in moments of dire need, some of it incidental, all of it necessary, appreciated and contributed to us realising our goal.
All of this brought everything together so that at 23.45 on September 24, we lowered our sidestands in Pontiac IL with 80200 miles on the GPS trip odo.

We battled what some news outlets were calling the worst heat event ever endured by the USA. We believed them as week after week of over 100F and high humidity was tough to endure. We rode through some tough, tough hot days, iced up in our gear to mitigate the unrelenting physical and mental strength sapping weather and after finally capitulating in the brain frying mid afternoon and seeking an ice cave, we emerged to find ourselves riding in some extremely wet weather that on one occasion resulted in multiple people dying from lightning strike as we forged our way towards our next Capital .

We got blown all over the road crossing I80 on mulitple crossings, endured a blizzard heading south through Wells, Nevada in the night, persevered through more heavy rain events than a fish would like to endure and as May became June, then July, then August and finally September, at last we felt the season start to change.

Equal to the heat and humidity as something to be managed was the ongoing mechanical issues we endured with the BMW, none of which were anything to do with BMW's supposed lack of reliability or component longevity.

We had illness and medical interventions that required hospitalisation that stopped us dead in our tracks along with the aforementioned mechanical issues, but through all these time losses we never lost faith in each other or that we could succeed, not even as we watched the 1000 miles a day o/a window slam shut as the daily milage average over the whole ride slid inexoribly lower and lower in spite of our riding days constantly being over 1100 miles a day. It helped that our completely bent and warped senses of completely inappropriate humour could be fully unleashed on each other as a vent and a way of managing whatever had befallen us in real time.

Its a tough story to tell, our ride across two continents and 5 months. We had many highlights, many low lights, many events were both were happening at the same time. We had moments of perfect peace when the world allowed us to see its beauty in a sunset playing over the country, or an eagle taking off from a roadkill or a corner flowed with perfection.

The perfect example of a mix of moments occurred one clear morning we are examining rear tyres. These look pretty good we say to each other. 12 miles later I'm stopped on the highway with a 1/4" round hole in my rear tyre. What could we do; out with the gummy worms, the glue and start punching in sticks all the while munching on a shared chocolate doughnut we had in a tankbag, how lucky are we, we said to each other in that beautiful morning light. It’s all about perspective.

We never thought that after all the years we rode Long Distance rallies that by and large were successful and uneventful that this ride would test us. It would be inaccurate to say we hit our limit to absorb and deal with the setbacks, but it's an honest statement when we say that there were many days when our patience was tested to its extreme end and only the support of the other got us over that immediate hump.

This is the very basic story of our ride. A ride that nearly totalled 100 000 miles across both continents. Its not about the riding or the destinations, it’s about how two people took two 20 plus year old bikes, one of which needed fuel and tyres, the other needed a constant flow of repairs and fuel and tyres and had an adventure that had more left field events than could have ever been planned to need to manage and kept on keeping on all the while laughing at the absurdity of just never giving up.

This is my version. Read on for Wendys.

1,000 miles a day: Piece of cake. Well for us any way, me and Ian. We hailed from opposite sides of the globe but met through long distance riding and found, having linked up quite by accident for the better part of a particularly aggressive Iron Butt Rally, that our riding rhythms are nearly perfectly aligned. Fuel range, sleep schedules, food and other of (ahem) nature’s requirement – all uncannily synchronized. So it seemed perfectly reasonable when, in late 2019, Ian told me that he had an idea: 66,000 miles in 65 days. Barely over 1,000 miles per day, a leisurely pace for the likes of us. Here’s the twist: We would be visiting all the state capitals. In alphabetical order. Including Juneau, Alaska and Washington, D.C.. OK, now we’re talking! Limited ability to route around weather? Traffic beyond an Aussie’s wildest imagination? Way too much time bouncing around New England with its infamously glacial speed limits? Sounds intriguing! But I can’t give Ian all the credit; I came up with a diabolical post-script all my own, visiting itty bitty towns whose names begin with letters not represented in the alphabetical state list. Z, X, Y, Q, J, H, B. Backwards, because why not. Careening coast to coast to coast, the ride ballooned to 83,000 miles in 78 days. Just for good measure we mimicked the alphabetical quest concept in Ian’s homeland of Australia, giving us a final plan that clocked in at a respectable 100,000 miles in less than 120 days.

And plan we did, for nearly three long years. The pandemic gave us way, WAY more than enough time to hash and rehash every conceivable detail, accounting for all sorts of realistic delays and contingencies as predicted by two people with a combined 2,000,000 two-wheeled miles under our belts. Even after allowing five full days for services, which as career mechanics we would be performing ourselves, we were still barely besting 1,100 miles a day. We entertained lofty goals such as eating at least one meal and spending a bit of time exercising off the bikes at least once a day. We’re both fine with sleeping rough, but we figured we ought to get a hotel and bathe probably once every three days or so. You know, fancy stuff like that. Ian stores his North American rally bike in Minnesota, so in October 2021 I retrieved his trusty steed and associated accoutrement and began a full scale ground-up service and prep on both of our bikes. I gathered all of the necessary service parts, tires, tools, equipment, fluids, snacks, toiletries and anything else I could stash in storage for 5 months which might save us time or trouble on our service days. In late March 2022 it was finally go time. I carefully organized our service center just about smack-dab in the middle of the country, then on April Fools Day I hopped on a plane for Oz elated to begin what was sure to be the most flawless, pleasurable, and meticulously planned mega-mile ride of all time.

Nope. Almost right from the get-go we found ourselves facing delays, historic weather events, show-stopping mechanical issues, and whatever else the world could conceivably conjure up for us. The bad luck actually started less than 70 miles from home for me when my SUV, towing a trailer laden with both of our bikes and our entire service stockpile destined for our service home-away-from-home in Illinois, was totaled on a deer’s face. First time in my life I’ve hit anything big enough to cause vehicle damage. At least we got all our bad luck out of the way early! That’s what I’d said at the time, back in the heady innocent days of my youth. I swapped out my substantially compressed vehicle for my husband’s previously reliable Tahoe, which brought me just barely as far as Illinois before developing a no-start fault code. And so it went: Canceled and re-routed flights. Seemingly non-stop rain. The worst recorded flooding in nearly a century. One roo with a slightly flattened tail. The pungent smell of raw fuel which we deliberately ignored, because if we stopped to investigate we’d miss our ferry to Tasmania. The time one of us tried to cut her thumb off. No doubt, an impressively ridiculous level of drama.

And that was just in Australia. Wait until you hear about America! Ian arrived solo, much to nobodies surprise at this point, because I had a medical emergency which landed me in the hospital for a week. An emergency years in the creation, but one which only made itself known eight hours before we needed to be at the airport to depart Brisbane. Hilarity ensued (not really) but we managed to reunite in Canada two weeks later to the melodic notes of critical parts being forcibly ejected off one of our bikes. And so it was. One major catastrophe after another, any single one of which was enough to sideline a less hearty (or more intelligent) duo. Through the most absurdly unrelenting torrent of bad luck ever to befall two experienced long distance travelers, we refused to admit defeat. None of the copious mechanical failures were anything common, foreseeable or preventable with the information we’d had to work with, and none of the failures were the result of my service work (for which I was often, openly and audibly grateful). The horrendous weather, alternating between flooding and flaming, was kind of foreseeable, but it still managed to catch us off guard more than once. My endearing new health condition (not really) was a complete wildcard which caused several infuriating but unavoidable delays, although Ian’s lengthy bout of COVID did rank a close second for health-related showstoppers. If you can think of a category of cruising chaos, chances are good that we endured some sampling thereof.

But through it all, we managed to maintain our senses of humor. No matter what was going on, no matter how insurmountable the odds, we maintained a wholly unreasonable level of optimism and high spirits. If I absolutely could not absorb one more drop of rain, Ian would patiently guide me towards blue skies and generally do a good job of hiding his amusement at my hilariously irrational grumpiness. If he was angry at the statistically impossible distribution of mechanical failures, I would tell him some awful dark joke or opine that at least this was a lovely stretch of interstate on which to die of starvation whilst we awaited yet another long-delayed tow truck. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t, but we were always grateful to have such a simpatico riding partner to lean upon. And if one or the other was completely and thoroughly beyond their capacity to process the injustice of it all, we each knew when it was best to allow the other the quiet space to indulge in their self pity. It was never undeserved, never lingered too long, and shortly we’d be right back at it with an unbridled silliness and level of enthusiasm that would make most (probably rightfully) assume mental instability.

We’d intended to execute the ride, dubbed A.C.E. for Alphabetical Capitol Expedition, almost completely under the radar. We’d included our families and a few close friends on the updated details of our travels, hoping to prevent undesired distractions, but soon – within days of commencing our American ride – it became evident that we would need the help of our wide-spread and unfailingly generous Long Distance community if we were going to see this ride to completion. We were constantly humbled beyond words at people’s willingness to jump in to save whatever crazy unknown adventure this was that we were on. We commented often how much good luck we had in the midst of all our bad luck. How the right person was always found their way into in our path, ready, willing and able to alleviate some portion of our ample burden. Whether we needed a welder, a warm bed, a part from half way across the country, or a shoulder to cry on, old friend or new (and trust me, Ian makes new friends everywhere he goes), someone was always in the right place at the right time.

It was with quiet gratitude, 119 days into our 78 day North American adventure, that we put our kickstands down for the last time. We reached Odell, Illinois with a total of 80,205 USA miles ridden together and over 100,000 miles including Canada and Australia. While our daily moving average came in at a whopping 1,200 miles, our overall average fell well short of our “paltry” 1,100 mile per day goal. Hardly a day went as planned or envisioned, with the final tally showing 52 full days lost to sundry mayhem, but as so often is the case the real adventure lies in all of the things that went sideways. I doubt a day went by that one or both of us didn’t say “At least we got all of our bad luck out of the way early!”, full of sincere and wholly unearned positivity, much to the vitriol of our support chat who would immediately erupt with “Shut up already!!! Have you two learned nothing!?!?! Stop taunting Murphy! Don’t say ONE SINGLE WORD until to you arrive safely in Odell!” Right up until “our” last flat tire (the Royal Our, as were nearly all of our mechanical failures) just hours before we documented the end of the ride, that optimism persisted in one or the other of us, if not both, until we saw the ride through to completion. And while our best laid plans dissolved into a comedy of chaos on a daily (and often hourly) basis, in the end Ian and I still like each other and we’re eagerly awaiting news that our Guinness World Record ride, one never before documented, will see our names listed side by side in the record books. It was a wild ride, a story which would require full volumes to recount, but sitting on this side of the story? I wouldn’t change a thing.

Fatman

I just can't comprehend that much time on a bike day after day. Well done Wendy and Drain (Ian) on keeping your heads up and the wheels turning and seeing this monster of a ride to the finish line.
Congrats to both of you. :)

Ps.. Wendy, seeing you at Tottenham NSW at the FarRide with a jacket and face full of mud sprayed by pushing Drain's bike out of a sticky and muddy situation, I only hope you had a chance to repay him during this ride! :eek:

Blue skies make great pictures, but grey skies make great stories.

PS. Thanks for checking in on us in Cheyenne! That was quite the well timed treat.
We'd had a ton of grey skies already by the time we hit LDX, so believe me when I say seeing you guys was a HUGE boost for us! I think at that point in the trip we'd only talked to a tiny handful of people in the world outside of gas station clerks, so we were riding high on that visit for days.

We'd had a ton of grey skies already by the time we hit LDX, so believe me when I say seeing you guys was a HUGE boost for us! I think at that point in the trip we'd only talked to a tiny handful of people in the world outside of gas station clerks, so we were riding high on that visit for days.
Amen Wendy.. The lift we got from seeing everyone lined up and leaving the carpark was felt by us for days and commented on for weeks.
We both commented how odd it felt being in the supporters group not the riding group too, that was a first as well.

Kendoo

Premier Member
I had no idea you were in the middle of a huge ride when I waved to you guys at the start of the LDX. Congratulations to you and Ian on a mind blowing adventure!

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Very cool... :D

A few years back I plotted a similar route but instead of alphabetical, I was using each of the lower 48 states' current capital city based on the date the state was admitted to the Union, oldest to newest. I quickly realized that I would likely never get the opportunity to actually do the ride so I shelved the idea. I think the route still exists in my BaseCamp files somewhere...

Very cool... :D

A few years back I plotted a similar route but instead of alphabetical, I was using each of the lower 48 states' current capital city based on the date the state was admitted to the Union, oldest to newest. I quickly realized that I would likely never get the opportunity to actually do the ride so I shelved the idea. I think the route still exists in my BaseCamp files somewhere...
That's an awesome idea! Hey @tabledrain wanna go for another ride? :D:p

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
That's an awesome idea! Hey @tabledrain wanna go for another ride? :D:p
Found the files... Total mileage - 37, 914. The longest stretch between capitals would be from Charleston, WV to Carson City, NV. 2,356 miles. Although I think the most maddening stretch would be going from Madison, WI to Sacramento, CA just to have to turn around and go all the way back to St. Paul, MN while passing right by Carson City twice and knowing you will still have to come back for it later. :oops:

Edit: You would have the freedom to choose which you do first, ND or SD. Since nobody knows which was signed first, common practice is to list them alphabetically.

Attachments