Wendy and Ians wild idea, a 100,000 mile summer

Found the files... Total mileage - 37, 914. The longest stretch between capitals would be from Charleston, WV to Carson City, NV. 2,356 miles. Although I think the most maddening stretch would be going from Madison, WI to Sacramento, CA just to have to turn around and go all the way back to St. Paul, MN while passing right by Carson City twice and knowing you will still have to come back for it later. :oops:
I'm honestly impressed that there is someone else out there coming up with ideas that rival Ian's for sheer maliciousness! There were a bunch of capitals that we passed through repeatedly before it was time to officially document them. We had a few huge passes that even stunned the architect @tabledrain with their lunacy. The worst/best was probably Richmond, VA, passing literally within stones throw of the capitol building immediately next to the highway in Charleston, WV, then on to Olympia, WA before retracing our path all the way back to Charleston. 5,500 miles and damn near a 100ccc to hit capitols that are barely 300 miles apart. We were like 58,000 miles in at that point and that moment was actually enough to make him say aloud something to the effect of "This really was a crazy idea." Yes. Yes it was. :D

Last edited:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
We were like 58,000 miles in at that point and that moment was actually enough to make him say aloud something to the effect of "This really was a crazy idea." Yes. Yes it was. :D
Hahaha.... Fantastic! There are a lot of examples like that on the chrono version. Until I started plotting this out, I thought it would have been a more orderly progression east to west. History has never been my strong suit so it really surprised me to see all the back-and-forth.

Hahaha.... Fantastic! There are a lot of examples like that on the chrono version. Until I started plotting this out, I thought it would have been a more orderly progression east to west. History has never been my strong suit so it really surprised me to see all the back-and-forth.
Yep, by this point in the ride, laughing maniacally at the insanity of what we were doing was the most sane response to what we were doing. I wouldn't change a thing though, the Undisputed Queen of Long Distance Motorcycling and I persevered beyond any reasonable persons level of endurance and in the process enjoyed ourselves through the +/-100CCC to do 300 mile type days, the extreme heat and humidity, the breakdowns (both mechanical and health wise) and I seriously doubt either of us will ever regret any single part of the adventure.

That's an awesome idea! Hey @tabledrain wanna go for another ride? :D:p
Stephen we actually had a couple different plots but your version never occurred to either of us.

Well there's a challenge. Whos strapping on the goggles, pinning the ears back and going out on a monster ride next summer :)

Until I started plotting this out, I thought it would have been a more orderly progression east to west. History has never been my strong suit so it really surprised me to see all the back-and-forth.
My first thought was that your route would have been more or less orderly, at least compared to ours, in an east-to-west fashion. I'm honestly surprised at how much bouncing around there is, looking at your map. You're more than half our base route, and ours was completely random as far as orientation within the country. Very impressive!

That's a cracking shot, Wendy!
As the aussies would recognise, Wendys shot is off the Great Australian Bight. Its a desolate place full of natures beauty and it doesn't matter if you're facing south like this or turned around looking across our wide brown land. It was a blustery day when we rode across the width of the bight for breakfast on western Australia at Eucla only to turn around and ride straight back on our way to Queensland.

All ya'alls need to come see it for yourselves..

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great job! Hoping there will be a more detailed version so we can laugh, I mean learn about some of the other issues and how you dealt with them

Only if I'm on an FJR, I wouldnt want t put you through the downtime pain again :)
As I mentioned during your ride, I now own a 2016 GS with only 33,000 miles on it, You're welcome to borrow it.

Or you can borrow my Sportster ...

Great job! Hoping there will be a more detailed version so we can laugh, I mean learn about some of the other issues and how you dealt with them
We've been working on our memoir. It's occurred to me during the process that I wasn't his secretary, I was his imbedded biographer :D

As I mentioned during your ride, I now own a 2016 GS with only 33,000 miles on it, You're welcome to borrow it. Or you can borrow my Sportster ...
Ha ha! The gauntlet has been thrown! What do you say @tabledrain? I'm not sure if you're looking to murder another beemer just yet, but you're definitely Sportster shaped :p

We've been working on our memoir. It's occurred to me during the process that I wasn't his secretary, I was his imbedded biographer :D

Ha ha! The gauntlet has been thrown! What do you say @tabledrain? I'm not sure if you're looking to murder another beemer just yet, but you're definitely Sportster shaped :p
. The Undisputed Queen of Long Distance Motorcycling is throwing a challenge to which the answer 'she'll be right mate' will be uttered on a daily basis with utmost confidence and gusto.
If im riding a sporty and you're riding a sporty lets make it a proper challenge and make em AMF versions.